• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas History

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
The other day I was looking at a section on Lucas's on the Bham Industrial History site. This has some good material. I was impressed by the story about their full-time pilot, who had to give the managing director flying lessons, all in the company's time. The comment "Not only was his eye not on the ball, he wasn't even in the stadium" seems quite telling to me. Perhaps this is a similar story to Austin and/or Rover as were.
Peter

Hi, I am looking for anyone that worked at Lucus that came from Ireland, or the families of. please email me [email protected] .uk (0121 604 6111 10am till 4pm Monday to Friday) this is for a project capturing the contribution of the Irish made to Birmingham, I know lots of ladies worked on the production lines and would love to hear their stories and have copies of any photos they may have. Every story is important so please get in touch. thanks Yvonne

Not sure if this is the best place to post this? Much of this information is from the brilliant book on Lucas by Gordon Bunce.

Doing some research on the Lucas family and noted that several posts on the forum suggest that Joseph Lucas lived at Hilver in St Agnes Road, Moseley. At the time of his death & at least from 1891 Joseph lived at Kylemore on Stoney Lane [now Yardley Wood Road] and was buried in St Marys Churchyard, Moseley.

1539097010074.png
It was his son Harry who lived at Hilver. In 1898 he purchased a two-acre site in St. Agnes' Road. Harry helped to design the Tudor-style family home and laid out the large gardens himself. The house was named Hilver after his children Hilda and Oliver. Hilver became the Lucas Residential Instruction Centre in 1952.

1539097046913.png

After
Lucas closed in the late 1990s Hilver was put up for sale and bought by Sir Kumar Bhattacharyya a former Lucas apprentice & an outstanding engineer.

thanks superdad3 i also have that book..there is a photo of one of my rellies in it

lyn

Does anyone know what happened to Christopher Lucas, the second son of Joseph Lucas born in 1857. He was set up as a lamp retailer also in Great King Street, and was still trading in 1910. It would appear that he had a difficult relationship with his Father. Any thoughts please?

Does anyone know what happened to Christopher Lucas, the second son of Joseph Lucas born in 1857. He was set up as a lamp retailer also in Great King Street, and was still trading in 1910. It would appear that he had a difficult relationship with his Father. Any thoughts please?
This Mail report has some details:
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/nostalgia/birmingham-war-1914-18-shining-light-7560023
The beginning and early days Joseph Lucas Ltd. was known and Joseph Lucas & Son. Note the singular.

Last edited:
Thank you Radiorails for this Christoper Lucas link, very useful.
Regarding Joseph Lucas & Son, in my experience there are several examples where the Son has changed to Sons. I suspect that Christopher, may have worked intermittently with Harry before setting himself up at 65/68 Great King Street and of course there was Bernard. Other than several references in Harry's copy-letter-book, and the note that Bernard accompanied his Father to Naples, both brothers figure little in the known records. Peter.

Back