• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Great King Street memories

great pic keegs...just compere it to my overhead pic...virtually nothing left...few tower blocks springing up..cant see harry lucas school either so it must have been taken when redevelopement of the area started...

lyn

Lyn, I am puzzled about the map. Where it says Car Park at Burbury Street - where is the school and wasn't there a sweatshop on the corner?

mike i concluded that the map was printed after harry lucas school was demolished..joseph lucas then used the ground as a car park..

lyn

hi

5 years in M2 see Map. I sat in Central Costs opposite the dreaded
Paternoster. They were literally Boxes that you stepped into to go
up or down.

Mike Jenks

Attachments

• Lucas the end of an Era.doc
    28.5 KB · Views: 45
  • BMF_Paternoster.jpg
    BMF_Paternoster.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 53
Changing the subject but still Lucas's.This picture shows, i think a retirement presentation in the toolroom at Gt King St in the 60s.
Just look how smart the toolmakers were in their collar and ties,not worn just for the day but a regular practice.Moss

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
I have only just come across this site, what memories it brings back. I started as a trainee production engineer in 1955, spending 2 to 4 weeks in virtualy every department at GKS and ended up as a centre lathe turner in B3 until 1966. As you can imagine I met a lot of lovely people there and well remember the paternoster lifts, very scary until you got used to them. We had an interdepartmental darts league with games played during the dinner break, with finals night at the Trees in Wheeler St. Its heartbreaking to see the demolition pictures especially as I lived in Bridge St West very close to the factory, and of course, the house has gone as well. Dave.

hi dave i agree with you its heartbreaking stuff..plenty of bsw pics on the forum..i would normally say we are lucky to have those pics my brother took but in this instance i would much rather we still had the building..

lyn

Hello Lyn & Jennyann, Ive just had a quick look through the Memories site, lots of people I recognise from my time there, also didn't they go to a lot of trouble for the 1937 coronation. Dave.

Hello Lyn & Jennyann, Ive just had a quick look through the Memories site, lots of people I recognise from my time there, also didn't they go to a lot of trouble for the 1937 coronation. Dave.

they certainly did dave..the factory looked lovely all decked up

lyn

My beloved Father Jim Buckley worked at King St in G6 does anyone remember the BBC filmed there in the early 70s they filmed us at home as well

I found this that my Uncle sent me regarding his father Thomas Alfred Reeves but known as Fred Reeves born 1889 -

"he was just a hard working man, went to Lucas's in their early years, had several different tags whilst there, Toolmaker, Toolsetter Storeman, and from what I remember from my own time there always a white coat man(Foreman), he was extremely well liked and ran several of the social clubs and events. He was pensioned of by them and last I knew about him was he ran the Limberlost Club in Handsworth. Brian did tell me when we were in touch he knows just where he is buried and that there was an obituary in the Lucas magazine when he died. This is in keeping with tales I remember which he recounted to me about Joseph Lucas himself, and how he or his Dad (Would have to work out the time span here to ascertain which) had helped with him around Hockley when he was just a parafin and lamp vendor, sort of barrow boy".

Does anyone have or know where I can see the obituary of Fred Reeves, my grandfather whom I never met.

chrisy

hi forum members
my uncle george jelf was a tool maker i beleive at lucas,s for many years and was involved with the unions
whom he served for many decades and i beleive he stood for the comoninst party for many years in small heath
and i heard about the joke that most of the people voted for him eventualy got a house years later in chelmsley wood when it went
Over as an overspill for birmingham and he came up with some place in wales for the war years for convalenceing for disabled war
or people whom sufferd some seriuos decease oraccident and they was sent to a convenlesent camp in wales
and i beleive there is a story line of is life on google about his life but this is is younger days and i was wondering whether or not
if anybody whom may have known him could tell me any think about him or did you know or work along side of him
at any given time in his life ; because i shall be attending his funeral soon as he george jelf died one week back today [ sunday ]
At the ripe old age of 99 years of age which was a good inning i think ; ?.
he was a very close cousin to my mother joyce ivy beatrice and a son to the senior member of the jelfs family of coffee shops brigade
of birmingham as some of you i have been writing a book on and off during my illness and its nearly complete i have afriend whom is helping me whom is connected to the BBC and i am almost coming to the end of it ;i only learnt from another cousin afew days ago
whom i never met but well chuffed to have met her whom informed me of the badnews i had only met him a couple of times in my entire life
my cousin i am on about she is also a member of this forum;
so if there is anybody from the older generatio whom knew george jelf from lucas,s have any memory of him and can tell me any think it would be great ; many thanks Astonian;;; Alan;;

Dear members of the forum i hope you do not mind me adding to the thread about the death of george jelf as i am sure there could be members
of the forum and members whom worked along side of him ; i do not know whether he was popular or not i do know if he was popular with some people
for the work he done but i am doing this item because if there is anybody whom may be intrested and recalls him as a friend of yester years whom i beleive they must old now as george reached the age of 99 years old but any way what ever the case
i would just like to say and that george jelf service for his buryial will be held at lodge hill cemetry at 12 oclock on wednesday ;
i have done this just in case they is some body may be intrested and he his the last one as far as i know ;
once again i thank the admin for letting me put this on here and i will be going myself in standing in for mother whom was joyce ivy beatrice jelf
whom i know would have attended as she been alive as she was a very close person to george in there growing up and she told me many stories
and how he used to asked her to join his party because the other jelfs brothers distance them selves from him because of his political beleifs
after coming back from canada in the twenty and thirty decade and how he stood for small heath constutions right up until the sixty i beleve
many thanks best wishes Astonian;;

not seen this one before....cracking photo celebratiing the coronation of king george 1937..click twice to enlarge

lyn

Attachments

• lucas gks.JPG
    lucas gks.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 58
Very well decked out!
Those were also the days it was a public road and you go down it - later they presumably purchased it, and put gates at each end, refusing access for non workers.

Back