• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Great King Street memories

Very well decked out!
Those were also the days it was a public road and you go down it - later they presumably purchased it, and put gates at each end, refusing access for non workers.

thats correct bri and our dad used to sit in his little sentury box making sure they didnt lol

lyn

It may be worth checking the Pathe News site for the film.

My beloved Father Jim Buckley worked at King St in G6 does anyone remember the BBC filmed there in the early 70s they filmed us at home as well

You can see the Welsh chapel an shops in Wheeler Street at the end

thanks mike i thought it was the welsh chapel but could not be certain just realised if clicked on 3 times we get a full screen shot of the photo

lyn

Last edited:
Hi

I think we are talking about the 8FL and the 9FL Units. They are in fact Electronic units that fit in Your Wiring
Harness. Adjustment would have been part of the Final Assy Operations.
The Units themselves are of Japanese Origin.
Bernard will be the best on this Subject.

Mike Jenks

My parents worked at Lucas Factory in the 1960's - 70's, Rita Willett's and David Hill. If anyone might remember them. My dad briefly worked in the horn testing bit, but moved to another department after a short time, he thinks he met Ozzy Osbourne during his stint in that department. Also my mom's uncle William Horrace White (known as Harry White) worked there. My mom remembers the staff outings. Would love to hear from other people who worked there at that time

good chance then that your parents bumped into my dad angela...in the early days he worked inside the factory but in the early 70s he was security..his office was those little boxes that were at each end of the building...

lyn

Hi Lyn, my mom (Rita Willetts) worked on K5 distributer (her manager was Arthur Cox) and Foremen was Roy Glover and Mr Flemming. My dad David Hill worked in K6 a packer, he wasn't there too long, this is where he met my mom, he moved to Tucker fasteners. My mom remembers a May Bell, she made my mom's wedding dress. She was good friends with Mary Daley and Later on a Susan Reynolds who married Jimmy Reynolds, who we are still in close contact with. Mom remembers a Maggie who worked on the drill. She knows a few more people but only by first names. I have a few pictures of some of the workers I will scan and post them.

hi angela it seems my dad and your dad followed each other around..first at lucas then moving onto tuckers:rolleyes: my aunt worked at lucas for over 30 years her name is joyce purnell...would love to see any photos that you have..thanks

lyn

It does sound like it, my dad moved because it was better wages at Tuckers. I will ask my mom if she remembers your aunt. What was your dad's name I will ask my dad. I will put the pictures on tomorrow.

ok angela look forward to the pics...think our dad and aunt would be older than your parents..they were all born 1929...dad passed away 3 years ago but his name is george harrington..

lyn

Hi, my aunt worked at all her life, until she retired. her name was Nancy Harwood. she lived on Norland rd Accocks Green. anybody remember her?

Lucas works photo. My mom (Rita Willetts) is at the front next to the lady in the white top and long hair. The other picture is a works outing my mom is in the Turquoise twin suit and the white hair band. I will have a look if there are anymore photo's as a lot have come out the photo album and my mom might have put them in another album somewhere.

Attachments

• img096.jpg
    img096.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 76
  • img097.jpg
    img097.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 73
smashing photos angela and how lovely to have them...look foward to anymore you may find...:)

lyn

My mother Joyce Davis worked ar Great King Street for many years, just a note to say that if there is anyone still around who knew her she passed away last December...still as sharp as ever

Bob davis

Hi, I applied for a job as Office Junior 1977, but didn't get it. My mother worked there as a evening cleaner for years. I done a few shifts when my mother was ill. We lived in Markford Walk off Wheeler St. I watched for years workers coming and going off their shifts, you couldn't cross the road to get to the shops. I watched every day Lucas getting smaller when demolishing it, it didn't take long for it to come down. It was a shame such a lovely building. The clock was always out by minutes. I had a few ciders in The Lord Byron and others.

hi jackie do you recall joyce purnell shes my auntie and she lived in markford walk...ive also been in the lord byron a few times...i also watched lucas come down...such a pity it had to go as it was the hub of working life for years in that area

lyn

Back