• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Great King Street demolition

Astones, thank you for the photo. If you look to the far right of it there is a triangulated bracket coming from the wall, this supported a swinging sign depicting Lord Byron. this was the sign I so childishly defaced by attaching an indelible pen to a broom stick and leaning over the wall from GKS recycling yard. The bigger boys made me do it.

Astones, thank you for the photo. If you look to the far right of it there is a triangulated bracket coming from the wall, this supported a swinging sign depicting Lord Byron. this was the sign I so childishly defaced by attaching an indelible pen to a broom stick and leaning over the wall from GKS recycling yard. The bigger boys made me do it.

yes ariel badger i see the swinging arm bracket and i totally believe that the bigger boys made you do it lol...

lyn

Well Corbett and Frank Kermode egged me on to doing it but the blame was all mine. I was with GKS from 1974 until 1981 when I took redundancy and moved out to live in Zimbabwe.

hi arielbadger, I was half right right, I suppose this happened on Saturday dinner time,on the way back from dinner break, kind reguards sidwho

20140204_191209.jpg

I managed to get away with a couple of towels.
Between 1992 and 96, The Farm Street Block, L2 and L3, V Block and the Directors' cars Garage in Burbury Street were occupied by SAGEM-Lucas. A joint venture between Lucas Engine Management Systems and SAGEM Automotive Electronics of Paris.
The SL people were the last on campus.
I was stationed at the Motor Industry Research Assoc. in 1996 for five years with five others. The remaining sixty relocated to an office block in Heneage Street West on the Aston Science Park.

The engineers at SL watched the demolition on a daily basis. IIRC, there was a delay because of the Kestrels nesting in the circular decoration on the end of M Block.

Some Tinkers camped in the Burbury St carpark for about a week until they got fed up of the local youths throwing bricks at their caravans in the night.

PS. I was a 1977 Apprentice at College Road.
I worked at GKS in Factory layout, GK5 Erica distributors, BW3, BW4, Cranmore Bvd, Dog Kennel Lane, Foremans Road, Garrison Lane warehouse, Gt Hampton Street and a short time at Lucas Diesel Systems, Greenville, South Carolina.

I see ex-Lucas blokes all over JaguarLandRover. Solihull, Gaydon, Whitley and Castle Brom.

For any other ex-apprentices,,, I've still got my "Dice and Base"...

great momento jimboLee..you are lucky to have those towels...pride of place in my living room is a cigarette lighter mounted on turned wood with the name lucas engraved on it that came out of the boardroom..and it still works..

lyn

jimbolee, do you remember the 2 old push bikes in the gents toilet on the proving lab side of the road opposite the entrance to the directors guarage. wonder what happend to them. kind reguards sidwho

Re: Lucas,s great king street

Do you mean Lucas or the GT King Street factory?

Back