• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Formans Road Sparkhill

Does anyone have any old photographs of Formans Rd, Sparkhill that they would be kind enough to share? Also the Lucas Girling factory in Tysely, the allotments along Formans rd, (I think they were called Springgrove), St Johns CofE school Stratford rd, etc... and anywhere in that vicinity please? Pre 1980's, preferably 60's.
I am looking for images to paint.

(I live in Wales now, but have wonderful memories as a child going to the allotments with my Gramp, and school at St'Johns, Stratford rd). I see from Google Earth is has changed ..... and not for the better!
So, if anyone has any lovely old photos to rekindle happy memories I would be very grateful.

Thank you!
Dear Jayne. Sorry I can't help you with photo, but I was a draughtsman in the drawing office at Formans Road from 1962-1964 and then transferred to Girling at Tyseley for another year or so. Now I live in a village just south of Cheltenham, and even at 80 I think I have missed Brum every day of my life since moving down here in the late 1960's. XXXX to my Brum.

My dad worked there and retired @1975, Alf Baker, went by the nickname 'Tiny' he was 6'4" and big built. He had worked the variety halls for a one half of The Rego Twins. Here he is entertaining at the xmas childrens party, I'll find a better picture of the event (on another computer at the moment)

alf lucas party.jpg

Hi

just to let you know Jackie Hill's web site has now in
Carl words a bostin site of Forman's Road.
Jackie Hills work is important and all the help you can
give her on Memories Photo's Sports Day's of the
Lucas Empire will be used.
Little written about Forman's Road Sparkhill.
I lived at 156 Forman's Road for a while and spent
18 month's there in Work Study.(ouch)
Just hop out of bed and into the Office.
One day I forgot my Lunch and I had a Phone call
over the Tanoy asking me to go to Reception while I was on
a study. There was Nan in reception bawling me out you forgot
this like everything else you do. Good old Nan I thought
the truth alway's hurt. That was Nan straight as a Die.

Mike
My grandad was a work study manager at Lucas until he retired mid 80’s his name was Fred Boffey and his best friend was Peter Booth another work study manager there

Rai,
I knew both Fred Boffey & Peter Booth at Shaftmoor Lane (BW3) in the 60's. Didn't Fred live in the flats on the junction of Fox Hollies & Olton Blvd?
John

Rai,
I knew both Fred Boffey & Peter Booth at Shaftmoor Lane (BW3) in the 60's. Didn't Fred live in the flats on the junction of Fox Hollies & Olton Blvd?
John
Hi grandpa lived on foxhollies road opposite the petrol station the big 1920s house that is set back off the road, both Grandpa and Peter have unfortunately passed away both of them the same year 4 years ago x

Hi all, I'm French and don't write a good English, sorry. I'm looking for someone which could have took picture about one of the Lucas Electric Taxi prototype when it was parked outside from April 1990 at Formans Road, alongside one of the company buildings assigned to the making of the batteries and he was left there for at least a year.
This one would have been set on fire in 1991.
I'm interested by any document or testimony about because I am trying to write a book on these taxis. I'm the happy owner of the surviving vehicle. The second built.
Thank you in anticipation.
Danny

Last edited:
I grew up on formans road in the 80s to early 90s. Used to hear the lorries day and night. Talk was they were building houses on the battery site but I'm guessing too much contamination. Building some large warehouses on it from what I could see

My name is Dave Lacy and as part of my time with Lucas I was transferred from GRC, Shirley, to Formans Road from 1973 until 1975, and based in the TDO Plastics training as a Process Planning Engineer. After 12 months transferred to the Plastics Lab in the Plastics factory. I was extremely impressed by the size of the injection moulding area and wonder does any one have any photos of the rows of moulding machines, please? I'm hoping to include one in a family history book I'm writing,thanks.

Dear Jayne. Sorry I can't help you with photo, but I was a draughtsman in the drawing office at Formans Road from 1962-1964 and then transferred to Girling at Tyseley for another year or so. Now I live in a village just south of Cheltenham, and even at 80 I think I have missed Brum every day of my life since moving down here in the late 1960's. XXXX to my Brum.
Somewhere on this website I am offering some old Lucas books. They are full of photos. Are you still looking?

Attachments

• IMG_4407.jpeg
    IMG_4407.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
I worked for Joseph Lucas at the Great King Street Works Engineering Department 1954 TO 1963.
V block department Installed many items related to improvements in Lucas battery manufacture.

Ernie

Hi, I am looking for someone called Keith Walker who would have been a mechanic fixing the production lines around 1981, can anyone help please?

Back