• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Engineering School Great Hampton Street

KJSScott

knowlegable brummie
I joined the LES in September 1969, this was then regarded as one of the best apprentice schools in the country.
It was in the oldest part of GHSt next to the factory. though we had no direct contact with the factory other than using the works canteen at morning break and lunchtime.
I served the last 2 years of my apprenticeship in the A3 Toolroom at GHS and worked at GHS a further 20 years as a Shop Floor Supevisor until it was closed around 1992 and we moved to Ladywood.
Happy days

Just for you KJSScott - my old blazor badge. 1955 - 1961

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Lucas Engineering School at Ghost

I am proud to have worn one of those wire badges on my Barathea blazer.
Good quality blazer, great badge, and the best engineering apprenticeship in the land.

I was at Burnley. Same colour badge as the one posted.
Only ever knew one lad from Birmingham.
Brian Kingett. Wonder where he is now.

Hi Mike-g

Could you send me a copy of the badge photo to put on the site

And if you or KJSScott have any other photos I dont have many of GHS

Clitheroekid
Im hoping to add the Burnley factory to the site, so if you have any photos for the site I would be only to pleased to put them on

Jackie

Hi All Lucalites

Anybody wishing to send in photo's or memories to be added to the site please either go on to the site
www.lucasmemories.co.uk and click on the contact button or email me at
[email protected]

There are I'm sure many people out there who have photo's to add

Although the factory you worked at may not be on the site at the moment I'm doing my best to add as many factories as I have photos and info on and hope to cover all and even do a folder on factories abroad if I can get photo's

Jackie

Lucas Email

I have received an Email from John and Margaret Smith can anybody help

Wal Smith was my dad, I'm his youngest son John, and would like to contact anyone who worked with him at Formans Road or Shaftmoor Lane, Lucas was his life, I remember so much, he was my hero, a man of high standards, not many left these days

If anyone can help John will they please get in touch

Jackie

Hi Jackie, Can Walter Smith`s son supply any more info ie did he work in B3-4 or 5 and what was his job, Len asking you know i will do my best :):biggrin:.

I went to several training weeks at GHS`st, my memory is the Paternoster lift in the entrance it just went around without stopping you stepped on quickly & carefully!, those visitors who had not experianced one before needed encouragement to step on and go up!!.

I went to the engineering school during its second period at GtHSt, previously it was on College Road. All the apprentices had to help out when it relocated to GtHS. I have fond memories of these times and recall having to perform 5BX (?) exercises most mornings. I was at the school between 82 and 85 i think. The Manager was Mr Trevethick and the instructors i remember were Mr Ruby, Kingham, James, Callaghan (who's dad was mush callaghan and played for the villa. Great times.

Lucas Oil Cans

Hi

I have had an email about Lucas Oil Cans

There are collects, who although they collect Oil Cans would like to know more about them, where about they where made, which factory???

Is there anybody who has any info on Lucas Oil Cans they could share with us

I'm starting a new gallery Lucas Product, so if there is anybody out there that has photo's of any of the Lucas product, I would be very glad to here from you

Jackie

Are products made for or used as give away adverts any use to you?

Hi Mike-G

Yes anything to do with Lucas

Lucas made many things Metal Plates, Pots and Pans, Spanners I'm interested in anything that was conected with Lucas

Lucas presented people with a range of different artical the main thing being they was presented by Lucas

Jackie

Lucas Products

Hi All

I have just launched onto the site a Gallery on Lucas Oil Cans

Just go to the home page, on the left hand side is a box marked Products

Let me know what you think

www.lucasmemories.co.uk

Jackie

WE have just launch a video on the Lucas website

The video was made in the 1950s to help recruit apprentices

Pop on the site and check it out, you will find it on the menu bar on the left hand side

www.lucasmemories.co.uk

I have just received an email from John Davis

I was probably one of the last Apprentices to go through the training school, I started in 1983 and was involved in moving the school from College Road to GHS

Instructors were

Teddy Kingham
John Benton
Peter Ruby
Mr Callagan
Mr Trevethick

We did all sorts of activities, raft races, night maoeuvres in Sutton Park
They were great days and it's a shame they have all gone

Great to get in touch with any one else from those days

If you knew John and would like to get in touch, please email me on the email address below

[email protected]

Nice picture of "the badge". I joined LES Brum in August 1967 and still have the jacket and badge - the jacket has fallen to bits but the badge is A1! LES names to track down from my year are: Ian Baillie, Brian Jolly, Gary Povey (Curly-Wee), Pete Bywater, Bob Mills (from a packet of Scratchings to Regency Windows), Nobby Harris, Gary Mills, Loz Hardy and "Reg" Hudson. db

Sir Bertram Wearing and school leaders 1957 My brother Eric ( school captain ) sitting on lh side of Wearing

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike

Can I use the photo on the websit Please

I'm going to do a gallery of the fireservice which will feature a lot of, is it your Dad, when I have loaded it I will let you know and if you would have a look through it and put me right

Jackie

I was at the L.E.S 1960-2 my best mate there was Roger Thomas, if anybody knows where he is now perhaps you could let me know, I had a spell at Marston Green and then finally at the main toolroom at Formans Road, it was a great apprenticeship.

Mike G, I think the picture you have posted was later than 1957, I remember your brother Eric, we were at Formans Road together, he gave me a lift with all my tools when I left the company in 1966, it was sometime later that I learned that Eric had died, it was a very sad time for me, he was a great bloke.

Back