• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas employees

hi guys ;
i did not reconise the chap in the picture thou is face is familar to me ;but just cannot put a name to his face ;
whilst on the subject of knowing anybody ; i have an uncle whom worked at lucas.s in grt king street
is there anybody out there on the forum recall or even worked or knew him personaly
my uncles name is george jelf whom was working there up until the late fifties or just up until around the early sixties
i beleive he was a tool maker there at lucas,s
i would very much like to hear from anybody whom knew him ; a he his still alive and lives in weoly castle brum and he his in is ninetys ;
today i am off to the botanical gardens so i hope the weathere is grt in brum and i hope you all have a grt day ;
best wishes astonian;;

My Dad was at Formans Road, but my older brother Colin Spencer did his apprenticeship at Great Kings Street. He trained as a tool maker and fitter. Soon after he qualified he had to do his National Service, which he did in the RAF, following that, when he returned to Lucas's, he was asked to join a team at Bourne in Lincolnshire to work as an engine fitter on the then BRM racing car. Great experience was gained through this period, of which he put into practice on his own motorcycles. My knowledge of the workings of motorcycle all came from my brother Colin, and to this day I am still messing about with bikes. Sadly Colin died at the age of 77. Maybe there are some ex. Lucas chaps that might still remember him.

Alan Spencer ( Bikeral72)

Hi, does anybody remember my Dad from Lucas / Girling ? His name was Reg Pugh, pretty sure at times he worked at Formans Road, Shaftmoor Avenue and Marshall Lake Road. I've just been looking through the photos on the Lucas Memories site and he is on the first page of the Marshall Lake Road photos. I also think he worked in quality control, that seems to ring a bell !

I'm trying to build a bit of a picture about my Dads life/career and unfortunately he's no longer with us for me to ask.
His name was Reg Pugh and I know at various points in time he worked at the above, pretty sure Shaftmoor Lane was one of the places he mentioned, also Formans Road, I've been on the Lucas memories website and he was definately at Marshall Lake Road as I've found him on one of the pictures on there. Were he still here, he would be in his late 70's now. Now apart from a spell in his youth ( 60's I suspect ) when he was in the RAF followed by working at Cincinnatti where I know he worked, and a spell during the 70's where he worked in the Ambulance sevice, I'm pretty sure the rest of his working life was with Lucas / Girling, he could even have started there before joining Cincinnatti. Would love to be able to fill in a few gaps of where, when and what he did and would be wonderful if anybody could help ?

Dave Pugh

I have just discovered this site and wondered if someone might be able to help me. My late father, John Handley, worked at a Lucas factory in Birmingham in the last war. I remember him talking about seeing the bombs landing on Birmingham when he travelled home on the train to Wolverhampton. After the war he worked for H M Hobson and Boulton Paul's in Wolverhampton as an aircraft engineering inspector. Is it too much to try and work out which Lucas factory he might have worked at? I am sorry if this is not an appropriate place to post this enquiry.

Barbara

handbar, look on a site called lucas memories, you should be able to find what you want there. there is adirect lint to this site on this forum. hope this helps, kind reguards sidwho

when I went to great kings street I was 15 years old had just left school , I met a lot of very good friends from there I left in 1977 to have my first child after being there 7 years . I'm looking for my friend Barbara who married john who had a one of them 3 wheel cars . Barbara worked on GK5 I worked on G 5 if anyone can let me know of their where about's it be good to hear from them

Thanks
Angie

Last edited:
hi angie and welcome to this forum. you may be able to get some more information about lucas gks from the link on this site or go to lucas memories and give the lady who runs it i message and she may be able to point you in the wright direction. you worked there befor e i started kind reguards sidwho

Does anybody remember Michael King he started as an apprentice toolmaker in about 1960 something

Does anyone know Walter j Luckman who was presented with this plaque 1956. I am looking for anyone who knows him or any living relative.

Attachments

• E3C7F8FB-74D6-4773-9E05-520BE121D4D2.jpeg
    E3C7F8FB-74D6-4773-9E05-520BE121D4D2.jpeg
    495.4 KB · Views: 7
Back