• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas employees

len cop thankyou I have found out that he worked at a place which had the king and queen on as

lencop.
sorry dont know what happened there I HAVE FOUND OUT HE WORKED AT LUCAS WHICH HAD THE KING AND QUEEN ON.
I have some old picture's of this place, I dont know which one it is but it is a Lucas.
thankyou ANDY.

Jill Davis sent me an Email can anybody help

My Mother, Hazel Edgington, passed away on 19th December, 2008. She worked at Formans Road all her working life from leaving school to retirement
Amongst her possessions is something which I think may be of interest to the family of a Mr a Wilkes who retired after 40 years service in 1969

Can anyone Help Jill
Did you know a Mr A Wilkes, May be he was one of your family

Jackie

The first thing to do to find out where he is buried is to find his year and date of death, from there you will need to get a copy of his death certificate, once you have that certificate you can narrow down his place of death and narrow down the places he may have been buried or cremated, the same goes for his wife.

If he married in 1913, you can roughly date his birth as circa 1890 (ish)
in 1950 he would have been in his 60s possibly.

HAPPYANDY, King George Vl & Queen Elizabeth pictures were on Gt King St at the time of their Coronation. Len.

I am looking for any further information on Arthur Edwards b Aston 1911 d August 1946 aged 35.

He worked at the Lucas Lamp Works (not sure where or what site this is) until his untimely death at the age of 35. He was seen as vital to the factory during WW2 so they got special permission to prevent him being conscripted in the war (he joined the home guard instead). I am really not sure what he did there or what the factory did during the war, which would be nice to know?

I have tried the Lucas website which gives a little info, but if there are any other sources anyone knows of that would be great. I presume there just wouldn't be any records from there now though, so perhaps there is nothing to find out but I thought I would give it a try.

At some point there used to be a Lucas works in Carver St, Hockley, on the site now occupied by Bakkavor Foods.

I did some work there a few years ago, and the maintenance guy / caretaker told me there was a bricked up tunnell to Key Hill Cemetery that ended in the cellars - something to do with sand pits ??.... might mean something to somebody !

He also says that the place is haunted by old Joe Lucas, who goes around closing doors at night.

Hi Petal, Can you post more info on Arthur Edwards like his connection to you and anything else you can think of. Len.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Len, Arthur is my grandfather and as he died very young and my grandmother remarried so I know very little about him. However, this is what I do know:

b: around Oct 1911 Aston D: 25th August 1946
Parents: Athur Edwards (snr), and Gertrude Annie (nee Downes) I think he had twin brother too Fred and William.

He lived in 8 poplar terrace Nechelles with wife and 4 children, this was from his marriage in Dec 1934 to Gladys May (nee Whetton).Gladys also worked at Lucas' and I believe this is where they met. Before that I think he lived with his parents in Alma street.

He worked from, I would assume 15-16 at Lucas Lamp Works, and continued there during the war until his death in 1946. He also worked part-time at the Beehive pub ( I have no idea where this is, I would assume near his home). I believe from my aunt (who was only 7 at the time) that on way to his funeral the cars passed the Lucas factory and people lined the streets in respect. I presume he must have been very well liked there.

He was in the home guard, I don't no what division/position, I would presume maybe the Nechelles one as he lived there.

Unfortunately, I have no pictures of him so have no idea what he looks like.

I hope some one may be able to help, it would be interesting to know more about what his life.

Many Thanks.

According to the electoral roll, William lived at 8 Poplar terrace , Charles Henry St (there are two other Poplar terraces), with Gladys in 1939, but in 1945 it was only Gladys there . In 1935 the occupants of no 8 were Selina & William James Ball, and Arthur & Gladys lived at 20 Havelock road in handsworth.
mike

Thanks Mike, that's very interesting, I was told they always lived in Poplar terrace off Charles Arthur Street.

Thanks for the info.

I thought the Dolce Vita was owned by the Mills Bro's

Werent they the ones implicated in the Krays court case in the 60s ?

My brother Keith Cowdrill was an apprentice at Joseph Lucas from 1953 and is trying to trace John Badger who was there at the same time. He doesn't have access to the Internet and I have described the video to him as it was playing and he was telling me how he used to dodge doing PE!! Are there any other places I can access to get further information for him?

My brother Keith Cowdrill was an apprentice at Joseph Lucas from 1953 and is trying to trace John Badger who was there at the same time. He doesn't have access to the Internet and I have described the video to him as it was playing and he was telling me how he used to dodge doing PE!! Are there any other places I can access to get further information for him?

I was at TID 51 -53 .. left to join RAF .. vaguely remember a Keith Cowdrill & John Badger and various others to greater or lesser degrees ..

Regards to K, whether or no he remembers me

Ben Parkes

Hello,

Im trying to find some photos from lucas's between 1966-184 when my farther Paul Foster worked there or any information from people who remeber him. He had red hair and might of been going bold at this point. Also i know of a story which my mother speaks about which i know would upset my father if i spoke to him about it. This is why im asking here if anyone has further information on it. Paul had swopped his shift with a co-worked, from what i know his name was also paul(lets call him Mr P to stop confusion). Anyhow my father did the shift before Mr P and from i know the matchine he was working and would not start. So after many attemps by himself and other staff it was the end of my dads shift and passed it onto Mr P to try and get it started. From what i know Mr P tried to start the machine but due to the gas being pushed into the machine the machine exploded and Mr P died due to it. I know it really upset my father and this is why i wish not to speak to him about it.

I know this is not a nice story and i do apologise if there are family of Mr P who read this forum and come across this story im just trying to find more information about it as i would rather not ask my dad.

Also im going to post this question in the great kings street forum. But my great Auncle was working AT Lucas's too called Author Stokes. From what my mother said he was a director , which i cant prove it (google is not my friend)

Any stories/information/photos would be brilliant:D

Thank you

Ami Foster

Hi,
I have just joined this forum and came accross this thread.

My father worker at Lucas as a Draughtsman, but he died when I was just ten years old in 1952, I can't remember which factory he worked at......I do remember the Chritmas parties very vividly.

My father's name was Eric Lewis.....my older sister may be able to fill me in with more information.

Back