• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas employees

watton

master brummie
Have recently found out that my gt. grandad - James Roberts, worked at LUcas's, and that he got a gold watch for 25 years service. He died in 1947. A (wild) hope - but does anyone have any details or knowledge of him, or info. about what job he could have done???? All I have found out so far, is that he was a 'polisher'. Many thanks.

Hi
Does anyone remember a Charles Fellows that worked at Lucas (Shaftmoor Lane)I think around the 60's?
He was my grandfather.
I know that his funeral procession went past Lucas and the whole factory came to a stand still as workers came out to pay their respects.
Regards
Mick

Thanks for the web site Jenny, I found a photo of my uncle Bill Harley's retirement. I was looking to see if I could find any photos of my dad.:) Mo

valerie brueton and john giblin

hiya, does anyone remember a valerie brueton and her mom hilda brueton and dad harold brueton who worked at lucas in great king street,valerie had apparently married a john giblin who also worked there although he seemed a loner i was told........
if you can remember these people please let me know

regards

demoned2:)

Ex Lucas Employee

My Dearly Departed Nan Worked For Lucas In Birmingham ...her Name Was Evelyn Pursall........would Anyone Have Any Photos Of Her Or Any Other Info........

My family worked at the Lucas factory for many years.
Thomas Alfred Reeves born 1889 spent all his working life there
His brother in law Harry Baker also worked there.
My mother Margaret Ann Reeves and I think during the war my father James Brown and Ernest Edwin Brown (his father) also worked there.
Apparently they were very happy times working for Lucas's if anyone recognises the names I know its a long time ago but would love to hear from you.

Re: valerie brueton and john giblin

hiya, does anyone remember a valerie brueton and her mom hilda brueton and dad harold brueton who worked at lucas in great king street,valerie had apparently married a john giblin who also worked there although he seemed a loner i was told........
if you can remember these people please let me know

regards

demoned2:)
im looking for relatives of thos brueton b.1884 little shadwell st birmingham. i believe they where scrap dealers and tinsmiths . thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi does anyone know my my nan from the 60,s / 70,s from Lucas gt king st ...Evelyn Pursall was her name or she may have been known by her middle name Gladys......does it ring any bells with anyone.....

Regards

Karl

Is there anyway of finding out when someone worked at Lucas?

I have George Marshall working at Lucas in the 1950/1960's as a metal worker and he used to get parts from other Lucas factories.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Many thanks for your time :eek:))

rowan, Do you have a photo of George Marshal?, do you know which Shaftmoor Lane works he worked in BW3, BW4 or BW5?, if you have this info post it on Lucas Memories on this site some one may remember him, Jackie Hill who is Boss of the site will do her best to help you, Good Luck in your search. Len.

hello I am trying to find a George Marshall who worked at a Lucas site in the west midlands.
He would have worked there in the 1920's as well as a Jessie Grater,
I believe he was still working there in 1950.
If anyone can remember a Guy named George Marshall, he was not very tall and would have been 58 in 1950.
Any memory would be a help.
thankyou Andy:cool:

George Marshall would have been an engineer at a Lucas site.
Can no one help or is there any way I can find this info.
thankyou Andrew.

Have you got any more information for folk to go on Andrew? You say he would be an engineer but this nowadays covers a multitude of jobs. Would he have been Design, Toolroom or whatever?

Also place of residence or best guess would give some of the amazingly good folk on here something to go on.

If you are certain of the 1920's date then I would hazard a guess it would have been on of the Hockley sites.

hello I dont know which site he worked at but he lived in Aston by the Hipperdrome,
I do not know what his role at lucas was but in later life I do know he used to drive around the sites to get parts.
I believe he was an Engineer and Hockley sounds good as he meet a Jessie Grater who lived in Ladywood Birmingham and worked at a lucas site.
I do know that he had a daughter and a son but the son died early in life, I also know he was married but the wife left him only to come back when the son died.
Any help Thankyou Andy:)

hello I now know that George Marshall married Caroline Smith in 1913.
lived at 7 victoria place Aston by the Hipperdrome.
Had a son in 1916 and died in 1917.
had a daughter in 1919. does this ring any bells.
I know it is a long time ago but he worked at a lucas site until late 1950's.
Any one remember anything. I do have a picture but I dont know how to load it on to this site.
thankyou

Rowan.
merry Christmas,
Any luck on finding out where Caroline is buried, I have not found George even though I have come across a lot of photos of him at work and at the sea side with my mom and Jessie.
I have phoned around every cemetary in Wales but he is just not there, he was not cremated in Wales as there are only two in the area.
So I think he is with Caroline in Birmingham somewhere but I have looked for her grave and can not find it.
Is Dorothy still alive or has she passed on, do you know.
all the best Andrew:)

Back