• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Branch Works 13 Small Heath (Butlers)

Nicholas

master brummie
Hi,

I'd very much like to hear from anyone who has any pertinent details surrounding the Lucas Factory in Small Heath please.....

Is the factory site still extant? Where was it situated? Anything that may be of interest regarding it's history.....

Thanks,

Nick
www.westmidlandsghostclub.com

Lucas Small Heath

Hi

The only Factory in Small Heath was Butlers Lamps
a 100% owned subsidery of Lucas.
in Grange Road. It closed in the 1970's.
Lucas had depots in Garrison Lane but these were
simply storage areas.
I have attached a note on Butlers.

Mike Jenks

Lucas Small Heath

Hi

No objection to your posting request.
In the back of mind for a short time Lucas
used Waverley Road (Small Heath) during the 1960's
while I was there, within its Plastics operation
via Formans Road. Strangely ehen I went to Land Rover they it used for
their Chassis operations during the 1970's and 1980's.
Finally the Waverley Road site was used by Benn Brothers
till it all closed down. I think ASDA took all this site up.

Mike Jenks

Thank you for the information guys....

As always with one of my posts, there is a potential 'ghostly' connection to the matter. (Yes - he's like a bl**dy stuck record, that Nick!!!)

It has been suggested that there might have been a haunting associated with the factory concerned?

Regards,

Nick

The Factory was known as Atlantic Works (BW 13). The Butlers badge featured a lighthouse.
Redundancy Notices were issued to staff and works at Butlers during May 1980 and the factory closed in September 1980. Some of the plastic moulding machines were in use at Barkley Plastics in 1983. It was claimed that some machinery was relocated at other Lucas sites such as the Telford Factory. Most Machinery was sold. Most of the people who worked there are now dead or retired.

Part of the site became the playground/grounds of Small Heath (Muntz Street) School.

With respect to the Ghost Story, some said that the top floor was haunted. My father never experienced anything of a paranormal nature while he worked there.

Butlers also had a warehouse at Seeleys Road, Greet, which is now known as Tyseley Industrial Estate.

My mother worked at Butlers when I was young and the logo was Butlers Atlantic Beam. I have many memories of the sports days and won the fancy dress in a costume as a lighthouse. My mother ran in the races and won many prizes she was called Elizabeth Horne and we lived in Hawkes Street.

Hi,

I'd very much like to hear from anyone who has any pertinent details surrounding the Lucas Factory in Small Heath please.....

Is the factory site still extant? Where was it situated? Anything that may be of interest regarding it's history.....

Thanks,

Nick
Hi Nick the company which was part of Lucas was BUTLERS it was in Grange RD Small Heath I worked in the standards room my boss was Stan Lewis and Stan Powell ,I don't know if it still exists that's the best I can do for best regards Pete

Hi Nick company which was part of Lucas was BUTLERS it was in Grange RD Small Heath I worked in the standards room my boss was Stan Lewis and Stan Powell ,I don't know if it still exists that's the best I can do for best regards Pete
Hello Peter Hood,
So pleased to hear memories of Butlers in Grange Road! I have only today registered as a member after searching for info about Butlers. I remember Stan Lewis and Stan Powell! In 1965 I was appointed as secretary to Eric Black, Sales Director and I loved my time there. My friend, Julia White was secretary to the Production Director, Tom Hartwell and Joyce Hill (all we young secretaries where petrified when she rang us!) was sectretary to the boss, Robert Neale who was a glider pilot and TT fan. I can also recall Gwen Doulton who worked for Mr Stevenson - I heard that she married him after their respective spouses had died. I believe I have a couple of photos if you are interested. I am sorry I don't recognise your name but would probably recognise you!
Kind regards, Caroline (Carole) Regan,

Hello Peter Hood,
So pleased to hear memories of Butlers in Grange Road! I have only today registered as a member after searching for info about Butlers. I remember Stan Lewis and Stan Powell! In 1965 I was appointed as secretary to Eric Black, Sales Director and I loved my time there. My friend, Julia White was secretary to the Production Director, Tom Hartwell and Joyce Hill (all we young secretaries where petrified when she rang us!) was sectretary to the boss, Robert Neale who was a glider pilot and TT fan. I can also recall Gwen Doulton who worked for Mr Stevenson - I heard that she married him after their respective spouses had died. I believe I have a couple of photos if you are interested. I am sorry I don't recognise your name but would probably recognise you!
Kind regards, Caroline (Carole) Regan,
My sister worked at Butlers in 1955+ Jean Bird was her name

Back