• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lucas Aerospace Branch Works 5

lencops

gone but not forgotten
Lucas Aerospace BW5, when i started work there it was named Lucas Gas Turbine Euipment, aircraft fuel pumps were made there and other high precision parts for Rolls Royce engines. i worked in the Works Engineers Dept circa 1961 to 1989.

Jackie Hill, Webmisstress of Lucas Memories, has had a Plaque described to her which is on the wall of the office block at the Spring Rd end of Lucas Aerospace ( now Goodrich systems) it is same as the King of the Road Logo but is different by having Hand pointing up, this would have been put in the wall circa 1938-39-40 when the factory was named Lucas Gas Turbine Equipment, any info or photos would be appreciated by Jackie.

Two photos of the Plaque on the Reception entrance of Lucas Aerospace BW5, now Goodrich Systems, Webmistress Jackie Hill is pleased to see this posting.

Lucas Aerospace BW5, when i started work there it was named Lucas Gas Turbine Euipment, aircraft fuel pumps were made there and other high precision parts for Rolls Royce engines. i worked in the Works Engineers Dept circa 1961 to 1989.

Hi did you know Les Roberts Nick name Snowey He retired in 1977 i think,
My names colinhis son and i am looking for any one who knew off him
drop me a line for a stroll down memory lane.
Many Thanks ,
Colin Roberts.
icon6.gif

colingolf, I was a Machine Toolfitter in the Works Engineers dept and we covered all BW5 factory repairs, do you know which section your Dad worked on?, ex-Lucas workers remember me from my doing a repair for them, i have to ask them what Machine they operated & what section they worked on, i can pinpoint them then. Len.

hi len,
Unfortunatley all i know is that he worked on the fuel pumps and his job was a toolmaker,
their is a picture of his retirment under b5 after the pic of the building but they have got his name wrong. nick name is correct but surname should be roberts not white .I have sent the site an email to put this error right but nothing as changed as yet
before lucas he worked at the bsa and he was their during the war as well as being a fire warden and we lived in small heath in arthur street but that was before my time as i am a fifitys baby,
not muchmore to add really thanks for the reply,
many thanks,
Colin Roberts

colingolf, I knew your Dad the photo was taken on Proto Section, although the work they did was toolroom quality they were not toolroom personell, but production workers and could transfer to a toolroom job vacancy as skilled men, as i said i worked in the Works Engineers dept my knowledge of your Dad would be if i was repairing his machine or another on the section and saying "hello" and "how are you", the others in the photo would know him well, i still see some ex-BW5 workers and will ask about your Dad. Len.

Hi, my dad worked in Aerospace as a grinder for over 30 years. His name is Jim Gannon and is in the above photo standing between the 2 chaps shaking hands. Directly behind him either side are Gordon Barton and Fred Prosser.

krankers, I knew all the workers in the photo, i have visited your Mom & Dad`s house, i was a machine tool fitter and repaired your Dads Studer Grinder quite a few times in my 29yr working in Lucas Aerospace BW5 Cheers Len.

Hi Len, yes spoke to my dad and he confirmed that you did indeed fix his grinder a number of times. He claims he must have been working it too hard :D

He says he hopes you are well.

James.

Hi Colin

I have changed your fathers name, I changed it when you told me I had put it in wrong, if you check the website you will see

Jackie

Hi Len, yes spoke to my dad and he confirmed that you did indeed fix his grinder a number of times. He claims he must have been working it too hard :D

He says he hopes you are well.

James.
Hi James, Picked up on this thread this morning have not visited your Mom & Dad recently, hope they are both well and give them my best wishs. Len.

My dad worked at Lucas for 45yrs Quality Manger at BW8. Spring Road. Ken Franklin.
I worked at York Road as did my brother Rob Franklin, and my brother in law Micheal Farrah worked at Marston Green on AOG.

Last edited:
Back