• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells

topsy what a fantastic pic of baines bakery finch road...never seen this before...

thanks for posting it...

lyn x

Lovely photo Topsy, my ex wife used to work there in the 1950's. Must tell her to have a look at the site. Thank you for posting.

Barrie

I think the roller rink on the lozells rd ,was in the 1950s as a .co op shop and it was six ways end and by the royal oak pub it was mentioned in a book called up a terrace in Aston and lozells and it was a low flat building similar to this one in the photo if I remember right it had railing at the front .

The building that I think was the roller rink was by six ways past chain walk opposit gower St school,I would have thought that site by Wilton St was prehaps the site of the picture house and ice rink as the house of Holland used to be there and a row of shops that were built after the war but before the redevelopment so it must have been a empty plot of land and all the rest of the lozells rd was still Victorian shops,

Hi topsyturvy
Many thanks for putting your picture up on the forum as we did have it at one time before being hacked off of George gained bakery
I have also got an picture post card identically but the insertion below it reads as follows
This is the caption below the picture stating ( George.Baines delivery vehicles out side ,, model bakery in Lozells
There were 28 Baines. Shops in the area,,,,,,,,
In the 1971 my sister in law worked there for years and she met her husband there after starting and got married
Best wishes For. 2015. Astonian,,,,,

thanks for the ad keith..should be a map somewhere on the forum showing where the rink was which as the ad says was on the corner of wilton st and lozells road...in the 60s and 70s there was a fine fares on the spot..

image.jpeg

lyn..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi to all here is a couple i came across

Image2Lozells_school.jpg

Image1Lozells_School_1968.jpg

Regards Stars

thanks for the ad keith..should be a map somewhere on the forum showing where the rink was which as the ad says was on the corner of wilton st and lozells road...in the 60s and 70s there was a fine fares on the spot..

View attachment 119045

lyn..

This old postcard of a painting (looking back to Lozells Road in the 1850s) has been posted a number of times on the Forum including the colour version in post #405. In this article it claims to be the work of W.Laurence. Here is a comparison source: Birmingham Post, British Newspaper Archive.

Viv

ADD7C2EA-4586-4775-826D-BB8EF6D956AF.jpeg

Lyn.
YOU MENTION ABOUT SCALING WALLS, WHEN I LIVED IN CLIIFORD THERE WAS AN AVENUE OPP OUR HOUSE CALLED CARLTON AVE AND IF I NEEDED TO GO UP LOZELLS ST TO THE SHOP ON THE CORNER OF LOZELLS STAND GERRARD ST IT WAS A GRAT SHORT CUT. UP THE AVE OVER THE WALL DONE; TOP OF TH HILL ALMOST. NO WONDER MY LEGS ARE FULL OF SCARS.
That's where my Nan & Grandad lived the top end of Carlton Avenue the end house on the left they had chickens in the garden x

Hi Lyn. We lived in a courtyard at the bottom of the alley at the side of the Bridge Tavern, it was about a 100yds down from Hunters Rd. At the very bottom of the alley was a place that cleaned beer barrels, they were called Savilles, next to them was a place that made gravestones, they were called Taronis.

If you stood at the corner of Hunters Rd and Farm St, the Bridge Tavern was on he righthand side.

G'd morning Lyn,
The Benyon,was the headquarters of Birminghams own Shamrock Rovers,a very succesful football club.
The last time I was there c1962,there was a "redundancy Party" going on,and no one would leave at closing time,the gaffer said,his relief hadn't arrived,and he was going on holiday,so he said he would take the keys of the pub, to Kenyon St. police station,and let them to sort it out.
Just out of sheer curiosity, do you have any idea what happened after he took the keys to the coppers? Did he manage to get to his holiday?

Here we have the Old Farm Lozells on a 1918 postcard. Painted by W. Green, it says on the pc that it's a view of the farm in the 1850s and that by 1918 it was the site of a grocer, Mr. Adams. Hard to believe this view today, but a little historical addition to this thread. Will see if I can find out when the farm was demolished (obviously sometime before 1918). Viv.

View attachment 84638
I have a copy of the same postcard dating from June 1906 (according to the postmark and KEVII stamp). It was obviously a popular design!

Back