• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lozells

That could have been it Viv..... I had realised that there was so much going on in that vicinity i had never heard of Dovehouse Pool either.

I have found some more info on Lozells Skating Rink. It was owned by Erdington Rink Company and was situated between Wheeler and Wilton Streets.

Lozells Skating Rink.jpg

That fits. In 1908 there was nothing listed betweeen 54/54A and 56 Lozells road. In 1910 there is a (not numbered) Midland (Lozells) Skating rink co, but this is not listed in the trades part of the directory under skating rinks, though it does list 3 rinks. In 1910 at the same position is the "Lozells Picture house (Erdington Rink Co , proprietors)." Looks like it only existed a few years, as I can't imagine that you could easily interchange a picture house and a skating rink regularly.

Mike here is a picture of Lozells Picture House which opened in 1911, rebuilt in 1922 and destroyed in WWII in 1942

Lozells Picture House.jpg

Lozells%20Picture%20House.jpgLozells%20Picture%20H.jpggreat pics carol...pretty sure that your pic is the first build and pic 2 is the 1922 rebuild of the pic house ...the manager or he could have been on fire watch duty lost his life when it was bombed during ww2 had a daughter who was in our moms class at lozells girls school..actually i will post them side by side to compere as you can see they are two totally different designs...and im assuming that the rink came before the lozells pic house...
and this is the lozells skating rink. dated 1909.LOZELLS%20SKATING%20RINK.jpg

Last edited:
It is hard to believe those lovely photos were of Lozells Road . I have never seen either before .... The skating rink looks more recent until you see the way the men are dressed outside and the old buildings next door.

i agree topsy that pic of the skating rink is very deceiving indeed in terms of how old it was

Not Sure if this had been posted before but a lovely pic taken at the top of Wheeler St.

Attachments

• Image (238).jpg
    Image (238).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 70
The view is looking up towards Villa Cross, the give away is the overhead tram linesif you look at other pictures of Lozells Rd you will see.

Ray

thanks for the pic on post 433 topsy...i had that one a couple of years back but couldnt find it recently...great shot...

lyn

Thanks Ray for that information. I dont know why I was placing it going the other way towards Six Ways.

Yes Lyn it is a great Shot at The top of Wheeler St.

As a follow up to post 427, an image has appeared on e-bay of the erdington rink (a better image than the one I have), but the notes below it state that tghe firm also owned the Lozells rink, which was next to the lozells picture house, which confirms what was deduced.

erdington_roller_skating_rink.jpg

topsy what a fantastic pic of baines bakery finch road...never seen this before...

thanks for posting it...

lyn x

Lovely photo Topsy, my ex wife used to work there in the 1950's. Must tell her to have a look at the site. Thank you for posting.

Barrie

I think the roller rink on the lozells rd ,was in the 1950s as a .co op shop and it was six ways end and by the royal oak pub it was mentioned in a book called up a terrace in Aston and lozells and it was a low flat building similar to this one in the photo if I remember right it had railing at the front .

The building that I think was the roller rink was by six ways past chain walk opposit gower St school,I would have thought that site by Wilton St was prehaps the site of the picture house and ice rink as the house of Holland used to be there and a row of shops that were built after the war but before the redevelopment so it must have been a empty plot of land and all the rest of the lozells rd was still Victorian shops,

Hi topsyturvy
Many thanks for putting your picture up on the forum as we did have it at one time before being hacked off of George gained bakery
I have also got an picture post card identically but the insertion below it reads as follows
This is the caption below the picture stating ( George.Baines delivery vehicles out side ,, model bakery in Lozells
There were 28 Baines. Shops in the area,,,,,,,,
In the 1971 my sister in law worked there for years and she met her husband there after starting and got married
Best wishes For. 2015. Astonian,,,,,

thanks for the ad keith..should be a map somewhere on the forum showing where the rink was which as the ad says was on the corner of wilton st and lozells road...in the 60s and 70s there was a fine fares on the spot..

image.jpeg

lyn..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back