• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells Street

J

jude b

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and didn't realize that I could insert photographs - what a great place!
An ancestor of mine, Louisa Powell ran a sweet shop at 185, Lozells Street. Does anyone remember the shop or the family? Is the shop still there in any form?
Thanks for all help so far,
jude b

Hello Jude b thanks for posting the picture of Louisa's shop. My gt grandfather had a bakery in Burbury Street just off the Lozells Road and the building is still there. I have posted a picture on another thread.

My Grandfather lived on the corner of Clifford street and Lozells street, looking on the map of the 1950's the shop would have been six doors down.he must have frequented the shop. All the houses are now demolished.

Thanks for getting back to me. It's always the same isn't it, you finally find where an ancestor lived, only to find it's now gone. I'm glad your grandfather bought his sweets there anyway!

Hello Jude, Thank you so much for posting your picture. What date would you estimate when it was taken? My grt grandfather lived at 15 Lozells Rd corner of Cheyne Walk which I think still stands. In 1890-1910 was a boot & shoe makers shop. A grt uncle lived at 162 Lozells Rd in 1901. I was born in Hartington Rd just round the corner from a Woolworths and a butchers shop on the other corner - everything was very handy in those days. No cars needed to go shopping!

My other memories of Lozells street in the 1950's, was the lady who used to sell toffee apples whoe lived opposite us. Our back double gates were in Lozells street although our house faced Clifford Street ( no 158 ) My other memories are of the rag and bone man. I am sure there was a park at the bottom of Lozells street, can anybdy help.

Gadge, Your gates would have been opposite where this picture was taken. Yates family lived on the corner in 60s. I also lived in Clifford St.
007.jpg

Hi Topsyturvey, thankyou for the photograph, We must have left Clifford Street in about 1958/59. The photograph rings a bell. I would be about 5 years old. My Grandfathers house in Clifford Street was on the corner of Clifford Street and Lozells Road, It used to be a corner shop, but was not used when we lived their, big frontage though. I have an old map of the area if you would like me to scan it and post. Thankyou again, time certainly flies !

Gadge we moved in No 176 Clifford St in 1959 just below where your house would have been,in fact i remember the family that must have moved in after you. The park at the bottom of Lozells St was called Burbury Park. If you put the name of it in the search above there is a picture of it .

I lived at 185 Lozells St until 1956 the large shop window was still in place but the rest of the house had been altered for us to live there. I have no pictures of the area so could someone put them on again please.

As I lived in Wills Street, I knew Lozells Street very well. In fact, I was a pupil at Lozells Steet School. I remember a sweet shop, which was owned by an elderly lady, on the corner of Wills Street and Lozells Street. Is that the shop you are referring to?

I'm sorry I don't have any photos of the shop, but I do remember being a little afraid of her as a young child! I also remember she had a number of large jars of boiled sweets.I used to sometimes buy sherbet dips, sweet cigarettes, sweet matches and wagon wheels and liqourice from her.

Maggie please see notice near top of page. Photos were lost when hackers attacked the forum. Members are reposting as and when they come across photos.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I can't see this pic why

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Lyn. And this may be one of the 'lost' photos from this thread. It's a view of the street taken in 1967. The present day view shows all these houses have now gone and replaced by newer ones. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 53
Hello,

Hello,

My name is Georgia. I'm getting in touch regarding a new history series that we are preparing to shoot this Spring 2022 for Channel 4 and we are looking at The Lozells and Handsworth as potential areas of interest.

The project has the working title 'The Museum of Us' and each episode will challenge the residents of a British street to uncover the history of their surroundings and then tell the stories through a pop-up museum created by the community. Working against the clock to install their exhibits and identify archives within the week, they'll be assisted by our expert team - a historian, a curator and a designer. The series will visit rural and urban communities across the UK and reveal the stories that have shaped our neighbourhoods - from war, economic boom and bust, gentrification, industry, crime, immigration and health. And in each street, we'll meet a cast of characters who represent the generations, social and racial diversity of modern Britain. Many of them will be connecting with their neighbours for the first time as they work to unearth the hidden stories and rich heritage of their streets and buildings.

We'd love to hear from residents who have been living in either Whitehall Road or Barker Street for a long time, or anyone who knows any interesting stories from that area?

Very best wishes,

Georgia

Last edited:
hi georgia and welcome...you may struggle to find any of our members who live in either of those streets right now...i grew up a street away from barker st arrived in 1958 and left in1972 and i have spent over 10 years researching the area including what was there before houses were built and what came after but this is just my private research so that will not be of any use to you either however your project sounds interesting and i wish you well with it...just ask if we can help you with anything else as this forum is packed with a lot about the history of birmingham

must also point out that although you are liberty to do so we do advise that private email addresses are not posted on open forum...leaves you open to possible hackers...the best way for members to exchange private contact details is via our private message system...envelope top of the main page

lyn

Last edited:
hi georgia and welcome...you may struggle to find any of our members who live in either of those streets right now...i grew up a street away from barker st arrived in 1958 and left in1972 and i have spent over 10 years researching the area including what was there before houses were built and what came after but this is just my private research so that will not be of any use to you either however your project sounds interesting and i wish you well with it...just ask if we can help you with anything else as this forum is packed with a lot about the history of birmingham

must also point out that although you are liberty to do so we do advise that private email addresses are not posted on open forum...leaves you open to possible hackers...the best way for members to exchange private contact details is via our private message system...envelope top of the main page

lyn
Hi Lyn, thank you so much for this. Your research sounds super interesting. I will message your direct. Thanks, Georgia

Back