• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells Street Mission Church

I've been having a look at the Church's website and I think that they are both the same place. They only differ because of an added extension. If you look at this photo you can see that the addition is built in a different type of brick. It is more reddish in colour. This effect is even more evident on the website.

https://www.lozellsmc.co.uk/

Phil

LozellsSt.jpg

thanks phil thats the shot i was looking for and has certainly confirmed it....

lyn:)

The recent photo's are just great, it hasn't changed since I lived around there. Thank you for posting those.

Barrie.

barrie i love the old pic as it shows a little shop of the corner of gerrard and lozells st...i must have walked past it many times on my way to and from lozells girls school..not in 1910 of course lol
lyn

just remembered barrie i took a pic of the only remaining houses in gerrard st just round from the hall..will just download and post them..

here you go barrie the only houses left in gerrard st.you can just see the hall on the right of the pic

oldend3026.jpg

Smashing pictures Lyn.....Spent hours on the steps of the Mission Hall in the 60s. It was our meeting place. Also went to the Brownies there and a Club called The Guild for us teenagers where we played records and had a little dance .
#5 The lady who used lived at the first house on the left was named Mrs Foggarty . She used to collect insurance on her bike.

This is Lozells Street Hall. I think the photo must have been taken before the church was built. In fact I wondered if the signs outside it are something to do with its Rd-development. The whole site seems to have been re-modelled to accommodate the church. But you can still see some features of the Hall. I expect the hall is still in use too, looks like in more modern times it's been used for pre-school children. Viv.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

another one of lozells st hall...houses to the right of the hall no longer there and that has to be the joseph lucas building and burbury st park in the distance..

Lozells St Hall 1950.jpg

That's a big hall Lyn. Must be the same size as the church next door if not bigger. Does anyone remember going to the church hall? Must have been a very big part of the local community. Viv.

i never went there myself viv but its still the same today my old school lozells girls was on the opp corner to the waste land

just for clarity folks if you hover over the photo i posted on post 10 it gives the date of 1950..as soon as i saw it i thought that it was a wrong date because you can see burbury st park due to the demo of the houses in gerrard st...i used to walk down gerrard st and nursery road back and forth to school and at that time there was no demo at all and this was still the case in 1969 when i left school so the photo is post 1969..

You might be able to date photo accurately Lyn by the date these decorative features were partially removed on the roof. Can't imagine why they were removed leaving just the lower parts. And by the style of lampost on the corner and the car disappearing from view.mViv.
image.jpeg

Another of Lozells Street Hall. This seems to be the same image as that in post #1 but shows a little more of the shop next door. The children posing for the cameraman are dressed in their Sunday best. Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Back