• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lozells Street Mission Church

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
some time ago reg cook very kindly borrowed me a few brum books and ive only just had time to look at them...in one of them is a pic of lozells st mission church taken in the early 1900s..i am very excited over this one as it also shows us a rare shot of the old houses on the corner of gerrard st...had to scan the whole page so apologies if its not come out very well...

the first 2 pics are of the church as it is now...

lyn

oops..this is not very good..will try again...still not good will try and sort it out...

ive scanned it again but now its failing as the pic is two big so i will get our tom to correct it for me when he gets home...sorry folks..

lyn

Lyn

Is this what you wanted or did you want the whole page?

Phil

LozellsChurchHallLozellsSt.jpg

brillient phil..thanks very much...i was getting a tad annoyed that i could not post it clearly as as far as i am convinced this must be a rare pic.

cheers

lyn..:)

Last edited:
What A lovely photo. I sometimes think how many are like me and often wonder are there members of my family in that photo. :)

yes wend..i often wonder too as i had folk at the bottom end of villa st and in burbury st round about those times..think you did too...its a nice thought...

lyn:)

I know how Lyn feels, trying to post pictures myself and I'm getting a bit frustrated to say the least. To see how phil does it, by clicking on a smaller image to enlarge it when its in the viewing frame. Well!! I feel like a right plonker. Keep those pictures coming Lyn.

hi reg..i know its most frustrating isnt it...i keep on saying this but one day i will take a crash course in how to do all this technical stuff...there are some pretty clever folk on here...dont know what we would do without them....as you know ive not been up to looking at your books until day so i will slowly go through them and see what other pics i can post that may be of interest....thanks again reg..

Lyn

Forgive me for being such an ignoramus but I'm fairly sure the first photo is of the same Mission Hall as yours. Although I'm not so sure about the second one. Is the second one the same as the first with an extension built on?

Phil

LozellsChurchHall.jpg
LozellsStreetHallMethodistChapel.jpg

phil..most baffling...two totally different frontages on the gerrard st side...and yet i cant see it being an extension as you can see the curve of the pavement in both of your pics....oh and you most certainly are not an ignoramus.....

lyn

Last edited:
I used attend the Cubs at the Lozells Street mission in the early 60's. It is there were I learned how to tie knots.............. How blissfully uncomplicated life was then?????? Mabz

phil..ive looked again and im not to sure about your second pic...the tower part is still there as it is in my original pic and your 1st one...hi mabz...i was hoping you would spot this...bet it brings back memories for you...

phil..ive looked again and im not to sure about your second pic...the tower part is still there as it is in my original pic and your 1st one...hi mabz...i was hoping you would spot this...bet it brings back memories for you...

It sure does Lyn and every one pleasant:):) Mabz

and like i keep saying mabz..this is the whole point of pics..they hopefully bring back happy memories for folk and as long as that happens i will keep on posting them....by the way i love yer new avitar....:):)

Lyn
I think i disagree with you about it not being an extension. The second of Phils pictures shows a fair bit of grass (or stony ground) this side of the building. If you look where the path from the end of the building to the railings on Lozells St gets to the railings (and it seems to be at right angles to the railings), there is quite a long length of railings coming back towards us at the corner with gerrard st (marked in red). The firs picture of Phils and your other picture seem to show the tower being on the corner. It might be enough space to build the extension, though I'm not entirely convinced myself
Mike

yes mike..ive looked and looked again and you may well be right..my first instinct was that phils pic 1 and 2 where of the same place then i changed me mind(a womans perogative i beleive) lol...thanks for your input as usual it is always very welcome....next time i am down that way i shall take a better look at the building...

cheers

I've been having a look at the Church's website and I think that they are both the same place. They only differ because of an added extension. If you look at this photo you can see that the addition is built in a different type of brick. It is more reddish in colour. This effect is even more evident on the website.

https://www.lozellsmc.co.uk/

Phil

LozellsSt.jpg

thanks phil thats the shot i was looking for and has certainly confirmed it....

The recent photo's are just great, it hasn't changed since I lived around there. Thank you for posting those.

Barrie.

barrie i love the old pic as it shows a little shop of the corner of gerrard and lozells st...i must have walked past it many times on my way to and from lozells girls school..not in 1910 of course lol
lyn

just remembered barrie i took a pic of the only remaining houses in gerrard st just round from the hall..will just download and post them..

here you go barrie the only houses left in gerrard st.you can just see the hall on the right of the pic

oldend3026.jpg

Smashing pictures Lyn.....Spent hours on the steps of the Mission Hall in the 60s. It was our meeting place. Also went to the Brownies there and a Club called The Guild for us teenagers where we played records and had a little dance .
#5 The lady who used lived at the first house on the left was named Mrs Foggarty . She used to collect insurance on her bike.

This is Lozells Street Hall. I think the photo must have been taken before the church was built. In fact I wondered if the signs outside it are something to do with its Rd-development. The whole site seems to have been re-modelled to accommodate the church. But you can still see some features of the Hall. I expect the hall is still in use too, looks like in more modern times it's been used for pre-school children. Viv.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back