• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lozells St Primary School

DaveG

master brummie
i attended the infant school between 1945 - 1947. I never realized what such smart kids we were in those days. I seem to remember that before you wandered down the road to Miss Fry's Junior School, you knew how to add, and sometimes, multiply pounds, shillings and pence. In modern schools today youngsters in Junior/Infant Schools are taught the decimal system which really only requires you be capable of counting to ten (or to a base 10). In my days, (doesn't that sound familiar kids) we had to count in numerous base systems. Using base 2 to count our halfpennies, base 4 for farthings, base 12 to convert our pennies to shillings and base 20 if you wanted to get your shillings to pounds.

I must say however, in a real life situation in and around my neighborhood, if you found a threepenny bit in your pocket you would go to the nearest sweet shop, buy a bag of broken biscuits, scoff the lot, and then you wouldn't have to worry about upward conversion anyway.

hi dave...thanks for your memories of lozells primary school it was lovely to read them..here is a pic of your old school..i do have a better one somewhere so when i find it i will post it for you..

lyn

here is a slightly better pic dave..i guess you will know already to click on the pic to enlarge it...i used that phone box many times..

lyn

Hi Lyn

..... Didn't everyone use that phone .... it was the only one for about 5 sq miles serving perhaps 1500 people. I remember queuing there many a time standing in line shuffling my 2 pennies in my pocket trying to remember ... was it button A or B I was supposed to push?
Through your thread I now know who was always tying up the phone. Come to think of it, I have no idea who I would be phoning since I didn`t know anyone who had one. It was probably calling the Doctor again to check out one of us kids.

same here dave..i only knew a handful with a phone but we didnt have one...i also used the phone box on nursery road..opposite the sally army...

lyn

I also went to lozells, juniors /seniors. Lovely to see those photos. Opposite that phonebox was a mission hall on the corner .My friends and i all cogregated there in the 60s as did some of the lads from Gower St where i met my Husband.

LOZELLS20JUNIOR_.jpg
View attachment 57600some of the boys from lozells junior. top....kenny carter,grahm hollis,steven crockett,dennis yates,barry fortnham,? roy lucas,Mr Pool, front row:micky davis,terry badger,tony turvey,jimmy armstrong,trevor coley,steven hancox,?

Last edited:
nice pic topsy..the name steven hancox rings a bell with me...my brother would know more than i do...

cheers

lyn

Great to see Lozells School had a soccer team, presumably the junior school. I was there probably years before that happened, 1945-50. I remember the headmistress in the junior school Miss Fry who was replaced by Mr Hancock on her retirement. Other teachers remembered were Miss Hughes, Miss Miskin and Mr Humblebee ? One of my most treasured memory was the Christmas Parties, running to school with our mugs and spoons ... all labeled with our names. Then eagerly dashing home with our Calendars for Mom. We had to pay a penny for the date book that hung below our chosen pictures. ....... Great times.

thanks topsy its just the name rings a bell...ah yes now i know where from..i think his family moved to newtown round about the time we did...by the way that church opposite the phone box is still there...

oh blimey dave..you have just bought back memories of paying for the little date books...indeed happy days

lyn

That also brings back a few memories we used to go there to a club called the Guild 1963/4 and also brownies. Ironicly my husband i bought our first house just around the corner in Carpenters Road.

Dave g, Who can forget Miss Dustbin, i mean Miskin. ha!ha!. She caught me drinking some water from the tap in the toilet,slapped me on the back of the head,and i knocked my front teeth up. I Remember taking our dish and spoon for the jelly for the xmas party.Then watching some movies on a cinecamera,

hi topsy...i wonder if you could confirm that trevor coley is the little lad last but one from the left..front row...

cheers..

lyn

ASTONESS. No he was the third from the teacher front row.A big lad next to the tiny Steven Hancox. The first lad unsure of

I attended Lozells Infant and Junior School.Miss Fry was a very popular head, but her replacement,Miss Miles (Moyles) was not so popular. Overall, though, I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Miss Darlington (a wonderful storyteller); Mr.Chapman Miss Marsh (later 'Harris') Mr. Hancox and Mr. Pearce (deadly aim with chalk and the blackboard rubber) were also teaching there when I was there.
Roy

Hi DaveG

Just noticed your post from August 2010 about Lozells Primary School.

Don't confuse me with all those maths from the 1940's.

I think I know you of course !

Hi Newbie Brummie

I was at Lozells st School during the 1940's and well remember Miss Darlington coming into our classroom to tell us the war was over.

Great excitement ! Sometime after we had a victory parade in the playground flags and buntings everywhere.

thanks viv...wonderful poems from the infants...i still had 18 months to go at lozells girls seniors when they wrote them

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this we are doing a project with Future Seed C.I.C on the school from the 60's 70's and 80's and we were looking for this archive. If you have anything else from that period we would be really pleased to receive it ...Many thanks. Carol

I think you will find the children were all in last year of school before going on to secondary . They were all in the Deputy Heads class Mr Cei Morris.

hello carol and welcome to the forum...could i ask you if you lived local to lozells primary school

lyn

hello carol and welcome to the forum...could i ask you if you lived local to lozells primary school

lyn
I taught there from 1970 until 1985 and my husbands family lived in the Lozells area all their lives. I lived in Handsworth and walked to school every day until I started my family and moved to Great Barr!

Back