• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells Road, Shops, Pubs, Businesses etc

As a child I can remember Lozells Road very well. This was in the 1970's/80's. A very different place to now. We had a Woolworths (where I bought my very first record), Fine Fare, Boots The Chemist, A Wool Shop (cannot remember the name), a Pet Shop. At the far end there was The House of Holland. There was Wilkinsons at the other end of Lozells Road, probably Villa Road. As for pubs there was the Lozells Inn and was it the Bell Inn and of course The Royal Oak.

Has anyone got a photographs of Lozells Road around this time. I have seen more upto date ones of Lozells Road as it is now and it has considereably changed from when I was a girl.

There was also a petrol station and a newsagents inbetween Carpenters Road and Burbury Street.

Further along towards Villa Road was also Price and Olivers and a shop that used to sell pens. This may have been Price & Olivers or something else. There was also a pet shop I think at the corner of Berner's Street.

If anyone could fill in the gaps as I know there were lots more.
I remember McGauleys toys and pram shop.

Can you give a date when this happened only I was told on the day I was born there was a bombing raid? 14/08/1942.
according to the BARRA site

Lionel William Jennings was killed on the 28 July 1942 at Lozells Cinema, Lozells road. Lionel was 49 years of age when this happened.

according to the BARRA site

Lionel William Jennings was killed on the 28 July 1942 at Lozells Cinema, Lozells road. Lionel was 49 years of age when this happened.
Hi
Just checked air raids over Lozells and read that the raid was on 16/08/1942? Given by resident of Gerard street (WW2 People’s War Diana Purcell. and Bill Jones.)

Last edited:
My great aunt and her family lived at 39a John st Lozells during the war. They used to go over to my Nan's in Sutton Coldfield to escape the bombing. They were Charlie, Cis, Rene and Dougie Bradley.

Lyn

The name of the Manager that was killed in the raid that destroyed the cinema in 1942 was Lionel Jennings, he was on fire watch duty at the time.

Phil
Lyn

The name of the Manager that was killed in the raid that destroyed the cinema in 1942 was Lionel Jennings, he was on fire watch duty at the time.

Phil
the photo you posted is not the same Lozells picture House that was bombed in WW2. Your posted photo is of the original Lozells Picture Palace/House situated opposite William Streeet and next door to the Co-op and a few doors from the Bank on the corner of Lozells Road and Birchfield Road. St Pauls church in the distance on the right, show how near this Lozells picture house was to Six Ways Aston. There are a couple photos available of the bombed cinema built on the corner of Wilton Street and Lozells Road, if I find them I will post.

Attachments

• lozells road1915.jpg
    lozells road1915.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 39
well i never knew that kath..i always thought the photo phil posted and the one you have just posted was the cinema that was bombed...i didnt know there was another cinema on the corner of wilton st and lozells road i thought there was a rollar rink on that corner...

lyn

Last edited:
thanks for the maps jan i do have them somewhere but does confirm that cath and phils photos are of the picture house on lozells road that was bombed...as far as i know we have no photos as yet of the picture theatre that was in wilton st

The two links I posted are to the 2 different buildings one which fronted Lozells Road and one which seems to be set back. If you click on "overview" you get a potted history.

Last edited:
The two links I posted are to the 2 different buildings one which fronted Lozells Road and one whihc seems to be set back. If you click on "overview" you get a potted history.
yes thanks jan i know that..my point was that my understanding was that the cinema that was bombed killing the manager was neither of those shown in your maps....i am pretty certain the one that was bombed was actually on the lozells road just up from st pauls church...here is a photo of it which also shows the church just a tad further down

Lozells Lozells Picture House Bombed 1942   (1).jpg

Last edited:
Might not be on the map as I could not find another cinema marked apart from those 2.
However one of the links I posted is to the picture you have posted. (The picture theatre was bombed). Think it even tells you what shops are there now.

Last edited:
Might not be on the map as I could not find another cinema marked apart from those 2.
However one of the links I posted is to the picture you have posted.
thanks jan...it can be confusing having 2 cinemas so close to each other...posted this before but i remember mom telling me that she one of her class mates at lozells girl school was the daughter of the manager who was killed and something was said about it in assembly

lyn

I am getting myself confused but one is 54 and the other 56 Lozells Road and the write up on the Theatre states the manager was killed. That is the one on the 1938 map.
So I don't know where any other cinema was.

yes mike we have done this before...this pic shows the a cinema on the main lozells road next to the co op its looking towards villa road...mike could you check what number the co op was at please..it is odd that i cant find a map showing it

lozells road1915.jpg

Back