• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells Harriers

Yes indeed: this photo brings back a precious memory of my Dad, who was a member of the Lozells Harriers. He is top right of the picture - the really tall lad; at the time pf the picture, he was 24 (and I was not born until nine years later...).

Yes indeed: this photo brings back a precious memory of my Dad, who was a member of the Lozells Harriers. He is top right of the picture - the really tall lad; at the time pf the picture, he was 24 (and I was not born until nine years later...).

I do indeed remember your father, Jim Bartlett (and his brother Ted) Jim and I worked at Fort Dunlop and he persuaded me to join Lozells from Small Heath harriers. I was a discus thrower and became their first international athlete in 1958 when I was in the Physical Education Branch of the Royal Air Force. I had some lovely pals in the club. Incidentally, no one knows who the chap in the pork pie hat is, it seems he was standing on the steps and when the photographer was getting everyone together, he simply joined in ! Brilliant!! Oh, I'm at the back about four or five to the left as you look at the picture (tall, with dark hair then, sadly no longer having been cooked by military headgear and flying helmets) If you care to get back to me I'm on [email protected] My family have mostly gone now but I still have hordes of cousins about (there were 16 in Mom's family and 12 in Dad's) thank God television came long ! Anyway I hope all is well Stateside and wish you all the best. Cheers Ian

Another who remembers Jim and Teddy Barlett,Fred Brooks Lozells Secretary for seven years mid-Fifties to early 60s emigrated to Australia and have just returned tolive in Brum after 49 years Fred Brooks

That's great to hear, I'll have to contact Ted and get him on this site... I think that there was also a running track near to where Spaghetti junction is. Was it Salford bridge?

That's great to hear, I'll have to contact Ted and get him on this site... I think that there was also a running track near to where Spaghetti junction is. Was it Salford bridge?
Yes
you are right that was the home of Lozells Harriers,have plenty of photos of lozells personal and also the club photo taken in 1959 on the 60th anniversary.FRred Broofs

Yes I am although an Australian CENTURION accomplished this feat in 2001in Melbourne at 67 years of age did it on debut in 22 and a half hours the oldest man
man in the World to achieve this feat on debut on the track,many thanks for your enquiry

Cool, thanks Centurion. Making arrangements to get Ted on this forum to connect... Stay tuned

Found plenty of photos of Jimmy and Teddy Bartlett with Lozells Harriers,I am completing the history of Lozells and if anyone out there has photos or memorabillia please get in touch at [email protected]

hi centurion
what was the name of the big tall chap whom was the walker as i just cannot recall his name i use to see him rgula at the meeting at the old
birchfield ground way back in the years gone bye as i used to be in athletics myslf i used to run myself for the gilwern harier in gilwern
abergavenny monmouthshire and when i came back to brum i met up with this chap at the old corporation street labour exchange as it was then
he was working there as a civil servant ;
best wishes astonian;;

hi there Astonian,two walkers who fell in the category of tall in my time during the late fifties and sixties were Michael Long of Birmingham Walking Cluband George Chaplin of Coventry Godiva Harriers who was about 6 feet four inches,George was one of the top walkers and was picked to represent England,of course one other was the 1964 Olympic Champion,Ken
Mathews of Royal Sutton Walking Club who was just over 6 feet,hope this answers your query,Centurion

hi centurion
many thanks for coming back to me on this subject; yes it was ken mathews ; and may i add that after finishing the thread
and signed off i was still thinking of his name ;and firstly kens name came to mind and eventualy his surname so thanks for that
it was in the 64 era that i seen ken at birchfield rd on a race;and just like bolt; he was there leaving tem standing
and on that subject if i recall on that evening there was not many walking competitores in the race
but he did work at the corporation street labour exchange which we now call job centres ;
lozells and spark hill harriers had good athletes in the early years of the fifties i used to attend the birchfield meeting regular
and i have seen some good athletes from these clubs and birchfield was not that hot in those days
until the sixties and now they are the tops of tops our club was beating the birchfield harriers clubs across the country
way back in the forties and fifties i have travelled the breath of the country for competions and all up wales as well
but during those previous years there was alot of competition we between spark hill and lozells harries to be tops of the leagues
well centurion i will sign off here many thanks again for coming back best wishes astonian

Hi Wizzle,Met up with Teddy after 51 years i did a small tribute book for him with photos of Jimmy in also the history of Lozells Harriers from 1899 till its demise in 1991,Teddy said that he will send it on to you all the best Fred Brooks

Hi Wizzle,Met up with Teddy after 51 years i did a small tribute book for him with photos of Jimmy in also the history of Lozells Harriers from 1899 till its demise in 1991,Teddy said that he will send it on to you all the best Fred Brooks
That's awesome Centurion. I hope you had a good meeting! -Steve

Back