• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lozells Girls School

Just been trawling through this thread with my wife Sheila. She was there from 1958-1962. She remembers those teachers Miss Reed, Miss Gumbly. Miss Cage. Miss Jewel. Sheila says that when she did cookery, it was on the upper floor of the building on the left of the photo on Lyn's post #134. I posted this photo from 1962 but, her 11yr old Brother scribbled all over it ( he's now 63yrs old) so I have attempted to clean it up with the unfortunate ruining of her friend's face. Sheila is in the middle front and was known as Sheila Rogers then. The only girl she can remember is Pauline Sugar who is back left. Incidentally, I went to the juniors for a couple of months in 1955 when I lived in Berners St. I later went to Gower St from 1957 to 1961.
Lozells St School 1962.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for sharing that photo banjo...its always great to see them as i have very happy memories of lozells girls..i once went to tea at miss gumbleys house in handsworth...

lyn

hi folks just bringing this thread back to the top as its been a while since anyone posted on it....once again would love to hear from anyone who attended lozells girls and would love to see any class photos etc that may have been taken...i really cant recall us having a photographer at school...mind you it was a long time ago:D

all the best
lyn

hi folks just bringing this thread back to the top as its been a while since anyone posted on it....once again would love to hear from anyone who attended lozells girls and would love to see any class photos etc that may have been taken...i really cant recall us having a photographer at school...mind you it was a long time ago:D

all the best
lyn
Hi Lyn, my sister Helena went to Lozells Rd and her best friend Irene Fowkes from Kensington St. She always spoke a lot about a teacher call "Miss Fox Davies". It would have been in the early 50's.
Dave A

hi dave..my mom also went to lozells girls...this would have been during the war years and she also spoke of miss fox davies....by the time i started there in 64 miss fox davies had left the school..

lyn

hi dave..my mom also went to lozells girls...this would have been during the war years and she also spoke of miss fox davies....by the time i started there in 64 miss fox davies had left the school..

lyn
From what my sister said, you were probably lucky that she had left...

Dave A

Another Photo has cropped up Lyn belonging to Margaret Fry and with her permission i said i would post it on here. She said it was photo of a school trip to the Lake District from Lozells Secondary girls 1964. Different years were on this trip so not one specific class.lozells school64-001.jpg

oh thats great topsy...thank you for posting it and could you please thank margaret for sharing with us all...if it was taken in 64 that is the year i would have started at lozells girls...

lyn x

hi rosielab (sue) as you said lozells girls did not have a uniform code until about a year before we left...i know you have some school reports so just wondered if the later ones show the school badge on them...if so would it be possible for you to scan one and post it on this thread please...

cheers sue

lyn

thanks sue not to worry if not...having never wore a uniform i cant recall what the badge looked like:rolleyes:

lyn

LGS Badge.jpg
thanks sue not to worry if not...having never wore a uniform i cant recall what the badge looked like:rolleyes:

lyn
Hi Lyn, we spoke briefly about the LGS Blazer badge on the Harry Lucas School thread. As I mentioned I travelled on the inner circle 8 bus from Aston Cross to Harry Lucas School and remember a sea of green getting off the bus at the nearest stop to LGS. I think the school blazer badge is perhaps the single most important item in a school archive as it transcends the life of the school, pupils and teachers come and go but, generally, the badge remains the same, it certainly did in the case of HLS accepting the school had a short life of 11 years. I know the school uniform emerged quite late at LGS and I have been racking my brains to try and recall one of those bus rides and specifically the image of a girl wearing a blazer, the fact that 1/2 century has passed dose not help. I've attached an image that is part intuitive and part guess and offer it as nothing more than an item to provoke discussion and perhaps jog someone's memory, if we get even a few scraps of info' I think the image of the badge can be reconstructed.
Regards,
Peg.

Last edited:
i know peg..hard to believe its been so long since we were all at school..memories fade over time but i always think that sometimes seeing an old photo can jog our memories about things we had long forgot about this is why i set a lot of store by them..thinking back to LGS i cant for the life of me think why i was ever made a prefect..i was the biggest tom boy going in those days and not one to go by the rule book:D i was even sent home once for having a dirty neck most likely i didnt wash off the dirt from the previous night of clambering up trees...over walls and jumping off old air raid shelters:D:D happy days

lyn

i know peg..hard to believe its been so long since we were all at school..memories fade over time but i always think that sometimes seeing an old photo can jog our memories about things we had long forgot about this is why i set a lot of store by them..thinking back to LGS i cant for the life of me think why i was ever made a prefect..i was the biggest tom boy going in those days and not one to go by the rule book:D i was even sent home once for having a dirty neck most likely i didnt wash off the dirt from the previous night of clambering up trees...over walls and jumping off old air raid shelters:D:D happy days

lyn
Hi Lyn, It's funny you should talk about climbing up trees..........I know you'll be delighted(??!!) I've re-posted attachments to their rightful place.
Regards,
Peg.
Demented Potter.jpg Tree rescue.jpg Loaf.jpg Cavalier Threader.jpg

Last edited:
Lyn I was made a prefect as well and was told they hoped that I would behave and set an example to the younger girls( yeh right)sue

sue it has just come to me...im sure i was a sub prefect(cant think why) lol you maybe able to help here as i think a full prefects badge was either green or red and a subs was yellow ???

lyn

Lyn, at HLS the colour of your prefects badge was your house colour, I was Waring - green, we weren't so posh as to have subs.
Regards,
Peg.

I think they were green carnt remember any yellow.I know it's didn't make any diffence I still wasn't a good girl.sue

wow viv..i have the second one but not the first..thats another to my collection..thanks..i am still searching for photos taken from 1939 to about 44 which is when our mom was at the school

lyn

sue neither was i good...think they must have been desperate to choose me as a prefect:D:D:D

thats great viv well i never....joyce would have left lozells girls the year our mom started there....would also love any to read any snippets about the school between the years 1964/5 which is when i started there until about 1973/4 when i think the school was demolished....i loved that school

lyn

Last edited:
Hi I'm new on here me and my sister went to Lozells infants junior and I for few months senior school then we moved to kingstanding ,we lived at 3 Defford place Clifford street I don't have photos but many happy memories, our Grandparents lived in Guilford street our names where Linda and jean Kimberley we moved to Kingstanding due to the houses being demolished there was only ours and one more still lived in

hi linda sorry i missed your post..if you put in guildford st in the search box it will take you to the guildford st thread... there are lots of photos of guildford st before demo on there...

lyn

still searching for any class photos of lozells girls taken from 1939 to 1944 which is when our mom was there and from 1964 to 1970 when i was at the school...

lyn

would still love to hear from any girls who attended lozells girls school between 64 and 70 :)

lyn

Back