• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells Girls School

Hi just found this about Lozells girls school.i was there from 1964 till 1969 my name was Susan Dyson and I lived in William Street

hi susan welcome to the forum...i remember you....we were both there at the same time...did you stay on to take cse exams cant quite remember if you did or not....my name is linda harrington from villa st...i was good friends with georgina mildenhall and linda ilsley...

lyn

Hi Linda no didnt take any exams I remember your name but not the others I remember Maxine Clarke, Hazel Hines? Pam Cross Christine Dalibor.ive looked back though the posts bought back many happy memoirs

Hi Linda no didnt take any exams I remember your name but not the others I remember Maxine Clarke, Hazel Hines? Pam Cross Christine Dalibor.ive looked back though the posts bought back many happy memoirs

susan you couldnt miss me well you could as i was skinny as a rake nick name twiggy lol...i recall maxine clark and hazel...glad you like the photos on this thread...i loved that school...one thing i cant ever remember is having class photos taken?? did you go on the stratford school trip??

lyn

Last edited:
Think I did go on the Stratford trip but carnt remember I do remember mrs wood as I swam for the school also mrs cox she was my form teacher and mrs reed the headteacher I had plenty of punishments with the ruler of her

oh yes miss wood....i hated swimming but used to stay behind after school to play badmington in the hall...miss gumley took us for gardening at the anexe building just down from our school...miss jones science..mr jones accounts..miss reed was stern she sent me home once for having a dirty neck lol

susan as you lived in william st i dont know if you have seen the thread yet but i have just bought it to the top of the main page under neighbours and streets...on there i have posted lots of pics of your old street taken in 1967..hope they bring back memories for you

lyn

Oh thanks lyn I will go and have a look as we left williams st in 1967 moved to a new flat in nechells will go and have a look

Lovely to look down memory lane yes can see old house our was three storie high I use to play ball up them walls nealy broke my bedroom window which was the attic widow had a clip round the ear of mom for that

susan post 131 shows miss brown and miss cox on the trip to stratford..have you seen that one yet..cant place the 2 girls on the right

lyn

Just been trawling through this thread with my wife Sheila. She was there from 1958-1962. She remembers those teachers Miss Reed, Miss Gumbly. Miss Cage. Miss Jewel. Sheila says that when she did cookery, it was on the upper floor of the building on the left of the photo on Lyn's post #134. I posted this photo from 1962 but, her 11yr old Brother scribbled all over it ( he's now 63yrs old) so I have attempted to clean it up with the unfortunate ruining of her friend's face. Sheila is in the middle front and was known as Sheila Rogers then. The only girl she can remember is Pauline Sugar who is back left. Incidentally, I went to the juniors for a couple of months in 1955 when I lived in Berners St. I later went to Gower St from 1957 to 1961.
Lozells St School 1962.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for sharing that photo banjo...its always great to see them as i have very happy memories of lozells girls..i once went to tea at miss gumbleys house in handsworth...

lyn

hi folks just bringing this thread back to the top as its been a while since anyone posted on it....once again would love to hear from anyone who attended lozells girls and would love to see any class photos etc that may have been taken...i really cant recall us having a photographer at school...mind you it was a long time ago:D

all the best
lyn

hi folks just bringing this thread back to the top as its been a while since anyone posted on it....once again would love to hear from anyone who attended lozells girls and would love to see any class photos etc that may have been taken...i really cant recall us having a photographer at school...mind you it was a long time ago:D

all the best
lyn
Hi Lyn, my sister Helena went to Lozells Rd and her best friend Irene Fowkes from Kensington St. She always spoke a lot about a teacher call "Miss Fox Davies". It would have been in the early 50's.
Dave A

hi dave..my mom also went to lozells girls...this would have been during the war years and she also spoke of miss fox davies....by the time i started there in 64 miss fox davies had left the school..

lyn

hi dave..my mom also went to lozells girls...this would have been during the war years and she also spoke of miss fox davies....by the time i started there in 64 miss fox davies had left the school..

lyn
From what my sister said, you were probably lucky that she had left...

Dave A

Another Photo has cropped up Lyn belonging to Margaret Fry and with her permission i said i would post it on here. She said it was photo of a school trip to the Lake District from Lozells Secondary girls 1964. Different years were on this trip so not one specific class.lozells school64-001.jpg

oh thats great topsy...thank you for posting it and could you please thank margaret for sharing with us all...if it was taken in 64 that is the year i would have started at lozells girls...

lyn x

hi rosielab (sue) as you said lozells girls did not have a uniform code until about a year before we left...i know you have some school reports so just wondered if the later ones show the school badge on them...if so would it be possible for you to scan one and post it on this thread please...

cheers sue

lyn

Back