• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lozells Girls School

oh i see aston lad...well familys do drift i know that...i shall still try and cast my mind back though...although im sure my memory is getting worse lol.

lyn

hi folks...a few months back i was put in touch with one of my best friends georgina from lozells girls school and that in itself was fantastic...what i didnt know what that she had a photo that she took taken on a school trip to stratford when we were about 13 years old..today i went back to stratford for the first time since then and tried to get a pic of me standing in the same spot in front of shakespeares statue...the weather was glorious and it bought back so many happy memories of that trip...anyhow here is the then photo..(i am on the right and it looks like i was taking a pic of georgina taking a pic of me and 2 other friends..either that or i was sucking on a jubbly lol...) and a couple of now pics taken some 46 years later...i think its pretty close including only seeing a bit of shakespeares legs..ps please dont laff at me white socks lol...nearly forgot to say that the girl in the middle is linda ilesly and us three always hung around together so if you ever see this post linda both myself and georgina would love to hear from you...

lyn..

STRATFORD 5TH MAY 2013 035.JPGschool trip to stratford.jpgSTRATFORD 5TH MAY 2013 016.JPG

Last edited:
Great photos Lyn !! and I bet that did take you back a bit ..... Would be nice for you if you could locate your pal linda. The only trips I can remember were to see The Cutty Sark ...Elan Valley and Cheddar Gauge.

school_trip.jpghi topsy yes it did bring back memories...we went to see ann hathaways cottage and i also remember going into a little shop to buy postcards to take back home...do you recall miss brown and miss cox as i also have this pic of them..the girl on the right looks like the girl on the left in the old pic i posted but for the life i me i cant recall her name..

I remember Miss Brown Lyn... She made me remove my nail varnish before going back to her lesson. I scraped it off at playtime with a compass. She reminded me of Susan George from how I remember her. I cannot recall Miss Cox though.

I remember Miss Brown Lyn... She made me remove my nail varnish before going back to her lesson. I scraped it off at playtime with a compass. She reminded me of Susan George from how I remember her. I cannot recall Miss Cox though.

lol topsy..i didnt even know what nail polish was until i left school to start work...too busy being a tomboy..happy days though

lyn

the name Miss Cage brings to mind twin sets and pearls --and no bra ,if I remember right -one of the leaving 4th years brought her one as a leaving present -naughty girls

hi i'm new the this site I went to Lozells Girls school 1961-1965 I was Maureen Beresford and I lived at the top end of Wheeler St right next door to the Midland bank - I have loved seeing the old photo's they have brought back so many memories --I remember in our 1st year we had our class in the big church over the road and I think we moved over to the main school in year 2 --the Annexe down the road - science-art- needlework and gardening --getting a coach/bus to warren farm road to do cookery with Mrs ward ( I think her name was) I remember paying 2old pennies to cover the cost of the drinking chocolate so we could have a hot coco at break time in the winter and the cookery exams picking something out of a hat to see what we had to cook -- and every flaming year I picked Spotted Dick -- god how I hated Spotted Dick ---going to Cherry Orchard Playing Fields for sports running round the field to warm up in winter .some of the other teachers I remember Miss Morrell--Miss Harvey- Mrs watts --Miss Brown --- Mrs Watts was the music teacher and she used to take some of the choir to her house for tea in her garden and to practise our class also sang twice at the Town Hall in the All School Choir -- happy memories

Maureen , You mention the hot chocolate we had at Warren Farm .... I used to love making it in the large saucepan if I was picked to do so. Making apple crumble and eating it all before I got home on the coach......All the teachers you mention I remember... I went to Mrs Watts house when we sang at the Town Hall one time. I always remember her long fingers playing the piano.... Cherry Orchard in The Autumn when there were loads of apples about (Belly ache springs to mind)..... I left in 67. My Hubby remembers your name but can,t place you. He lived in Wheeler St next to the chemist shop.

hi - was that scotts chemist on the corner --I remember that all 4 corners had a business on the pub -- the chemist -my side of the road and the garage and the hair dresses on the other side --we lived next to the Midland Bank -I don't remember them knocking the top half of wheeler st down but I do remember the bank being built --I did have 2 older brothers Thomas and John Beresford maybe your husband might know them --

Hiya Topsy .I thought i was the only one who remembered singing at the town hall lol x Beresford I remember Miss Cage ..she was a dragon ..it was because of her i used to wag school ..she was our maths teacher

Last edited:
our class sang at the town hall twice I think it was in our 3rd and 4th year - I loved it and my mom was so proud sitting in the audience watching us --wonder if anyone ever took any photos of any of them x

wow topsy this is a new one to me...must save it and try to work out exactly where in the school it was taken...pretty certain it was taken in the senior girls half and in the hall..will take a closer look...if it was taken about another 12 years later our mom may have be on it...just goes to show that these photos are out there somewhere..

lyn

Last edited:
school trip.jpglast year i made contact with georgina one of my best friends from lozells girls...round about 1966 we went on a school trip to stratford...remember it well...anyhow georgina had taken a couple of photos of the trip and still had them..this is of teachers miss brown and miss cox...wonder if anyone remembers them..i have posted this one before but worth reposting for anyone who may have missed it first time round..

lyn

Last edited:
Smashing photo lyn. I remember Miss Brown but the pic is nothing like i remember her. Mind you i left in 1967 and she had shoulder length blonde hair then.

Smashing photo lyn. I remember Miss Brown but the pic is nothing like i remember her. Mind you i left in 1967 and she had shoulder length blonde hair then.[/QUOTe

it is a smashing photo isnt it topsy..i remember that trip to stratford so well...looked forward to it for months...

lyn

hi folks just found another great pic...this time looking straight down the playground..dated 1968 i was still there then..wonder who those kids are in the playground...you can just see four of the five blocks of flats in the distance that are in new john st west

lyn

Attachments

• LTS..LOZ SC..VIL RD 005.JPG
    LTS..LOZ SC..VIL RD 005.JPG
    500.4 KB · Views: 73
Hi just found this about Lozells girls school.i was there from 1964 till 1969 my name was Susan Dyson and I lived in William Street

hi susan welcome to the forum...i remember you....we were both there at the same time...did you stay on to take cse exams cant quite remember if you did or not....my name is linda harrington from villa st...i was good friends with georgina mildenhall and linda ilsley...

lyn

Hi Linda no didnt take any exams I remember your name but not the others I remember Maxine Clarke, Hazel Hines? Pam Cross Christine Dalibor.ive looked back though the posts bought back many happy memoirs

Hi Linda no didnt take any exams I remember your name but not the others I remember Maxine Clarke, Hazel Hines? Pam Cross Christine Dalibor.ive looked back though the posts bought back many happy memoirs

susan you couldnt miss me well you could as i was skinny as a rake nick name twiggy lol...i recall maxine clark and hazel...glad you like the photos on this thread...i loved that school...one thing i cant ever remember is having class photos taken?? did you go on the stratford school trip??

lyn

Last edited:
Think I did go on the Stratford trip but carnt remember I do remember mrs wood as I swam for the school also mrs cox she was my form teacher and mrs reed the headteacher I had plenty of punishments with the ruler of her

oh yes miss wood....i hated swimming but used to stay behind after school to play badmington in the hall...miss gumley took us for gardening at the anexe building just down from our school...miss jones science..mr jones accounts..miss reed was stern she sent me home once for having a dirty neck lol

susan as you lived in william st i dont know if you have seen the thread yet but i have just bought it to the top of the main page under neighbours and streets...on there i have posted lots of pics of your old street taken in 1967..hope they bring back memories for you

lyn

Oh thanks lyn I will go and have a look as we left williams st in 1967 moved to a new flat in nechells will go and have a look

Lovely to look down memory lane yes can see old house our was three storie high I use to play ball up them walls nealy broke my bedroom window which was the attic widow had a clip round the ear of mom for that

susan post 131 shows miss brown and miss cox on the trip to stratford..have you seen that one yet..cant place the 2 girls on the right

lyn

Back