• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Societies: Loyal Caledonian Corks Society

B

BarryW

Continuing with my interest in friendly and fraternal societies I am trying to fing anything at all about the Loyal Caledonian Order of Corks which appears to have been centred in Birmingham and Black Country but spread as far as Derby and Leicester.

I have seen references to about 200 lodges in the 1920's and seen a photo of someone associated with the order dressed belive it or not..in cork!:rolleyes:

I know nothing other than this and any info whatsoever would be really great.

Thanks

Barry

There was a Loyal Caledonian Corks club in Small Heath , in Golden Hillock Rd. I remember seeing a very young Hurricane Higgins putting on exhibition matches thereThis would have been in 60s

My grand fathers obituary says he was a founder member and first share holder in the Kings Heath club, its still there today, when I contacted them they said that no records existed from the early days. I do remember a framed illuminated certificate that had pride of place in the "front room", unfortunately it disappeared through time.

Colin

There was a Loyal Caledonian Corks club in Small Heath , in Golden Hillock Rd. I remember seeing a very young Hurricane Higgins putting on exhibition matches thereThis would have been in 60s

I remember this place postie, I used to live more or less opposite this place. Never went in mind.......just observed as a kid.:)

Hi
I worked at the Corks club in Kings Heath until January..Some of the members have been there for 40 years it maybe worth phoning and seeing if the older members can help
Maggie

Ok 'all seeing young postie', come on........spill the beans!!:)Mind, its not difficult to work out if you're a local to Small Heath.....so come on then.......do tell.:D

Hello All

I have come across the following picture of the Caledonian Corks at a parade (maybe a Whitsun parade in support of a lifeboat appeal).

It was sent to me by a lady in Canada, not sure where it is though I am afraid.

Barry

Hi Barry,

I am a member of the Caledonian corks, it is situated on the Alcester Road in Kings heath, Birmingham. I think it has been there since 1920 ish. I also saw the photo you posted from the lady in Canada and am trying to find where this was taken. The information on the Corks history is a little sketchy. All we know of the Corks is that was formed out of the Masonic movement. I am researching more on this and will keep you posted.

Best Regards,

Dave May

Hi
I am a first time user here so here goes.
I have just seen your note, dated April, on Loyal Caledonian Corks, Kings Heath and that your relative was a founder member. Well, I have an original share document dated 1946, any thoughts on this? Cheers.

re the caladonian corks in small heath
i remember being asked to do a gig there one new years eve, i was informed that there were artistes coming from all over the place, normally i wouldent go out for anyone on new years eve but i didnt want to let anyone down so i set out and had a tyer blow out by the golf club ( cant think of the name now never mind) got to the corks it turned out to be a free and easy, isharnt tell you the language that came out from me,(dont get me wrong, i used to love doing freeand easey's normaly) but i feel i was conned that night.
shardeen

Dont know whether this is the same but my friends dad always went to a place called the corks club, it is still there I think, it is just off the main road in Bearwood.

the caledonian corks club were connected with at least three lodges. L240, L354 and L650. the club paid a quarterly amount to each lodge for expences and gave them a venue for meetings.

Hi
I am a first time user here so here goes.
I have just seen your note, dated April, on Loyal Caledonian Corks, Kings Heath and that your relative was a founder member. Well, I have an original share document dated 1946, any thoughts on this? Cheers.
what's the share number?

For those who haven't seen it there is some great stuff about the Corks in Walsall local history centre but I am still left with three questions I can't answer:
1. Why "caledonian"
2. Why "corks?"
3. Did the order go outside of the Midlands. Birmingham seems to have been its main home.

From the regalia which looks like it might have been made by Slingsby's in Nuneaton it shows what look like two workmen. Was there a brewing link?

I also have no idea about their ritual but presume it was like the Oddfellows.

Anybody have anymore info?

Barry

caledonian refers to gods' country. do you not think it might be a masonic order?lodge 240 in scottish freemasonary is the caledonian railroad lodge.

Back