• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Societies: Loyal Caledonian Corks Society

Hiya Al I didn't know that ..well done:)
hey, mags. i always get homesick at this time of year...... does anyone at the bearwood or small heath club know anything about the societies history?

here is a thought perhaps it relates to migrant workers and based in the midlands? it might be from elsewhere like Ireland or scotland for instance Caledonia I always thought related to things Scottish I am probably wrong but whats new about that? anyway alan have you tried phoning the other clubs and as BarryW says try the walsall library definitely worth pursuing:D

I believe that this was a 'self help' society for the working man, giving them a club to gather in and have a drink with other like minded men, and if times got hard they could be helped by the other members of the club.

This appears to be supported by the club motto 'A Cork never sinks'

Smiler

Names interest: Evans,Cain,Walton,Henderson,Cleaver

Believe me thats what I was told by a neighbour who was a member of the club in Bearwood.

I wouldn't make that one up, would I!!!

Smiler

That's all great stuff.

It certainly wa s social club and one which provided self help in the sense of sick and funeral benefit. It was also a society with a ritual element to it. As far as I can see it was similar to the Oddfellows.

I have seen pictures of the corks which did seem have to have scottish dress associated with it. Yes caledonian was th roman name for Scotland but why did it start in Birmingham and why the Corks link?

There is indeed a masonic society in the USA called the Jolly Corks but I never though there was a connection between the two.

The kings Heath Building was originally a merchants house which was used by him for workers to convalese in :D or so the story goes:) how true that is I am not sure but before the Refurbishments the ornate interior certainly ties in with it being used for something like that and next door is a masonic lodge:D:rolleyes:

I have posted this one before. It's my great uncle Arthur Manning Davies. With the help from here I found out he was a member of Elkington Lodge. I contacted them to see if they had any information about him from around 1900 I never heard anymore.:(

My Grandfather belonged to a lodge on the Mosely Road somewhere between Clifton and Highgate Road.

Does anyone know the exact location, lodge number or any other details.

Would be very grateful, thanks

This extract from the 1940 Kellys shows where the Moseley Road club was. Also it can be seen that there were then four addresses listed in Birmingham

Mike

Corks_1940.JPG

1940_kellys_moseely_rd.JPG

Here is a couple of photo's I copied today of The Loyal Caledonian Corks at a dinner at The Acorn Public House in Wheeler Street. I think the date would be about 1920. The first picture middle row fourth back is Alfred Pursehouse with his neck sash. The second picture he is second from the end of the first row pictured with his wife Ethel née Harding.

Sorry about the quality but they are photo's of photo's and the shiny finish was difficult to photograph.:)

interesting pictures ...Wendy there is a gentleman first row second picture looks a lot like a boxer from a later time and I cant for the life of me remember his name ...Oh well it may come to me thanks:) got it TERRY DOWNES ?

Last edited:
I posted the photo's with the lady's permission. I always hope someone will be recognised in these pictures.:)

Wendy it would be great if someone recognises somebody from the pictures the gentleman I was reffering to is not Terry Downes (too Early ) however he certainly looks like him :)

Tom I was just about to tell you that Terry Downs was born 1936:)

Hi Wendy

From the Lodge lists I have form the 1890's Lodge Number 1 met every tuesday at the Junction Inn in Wheeler St. It may be that this was still the same Lodge??

Still not sure why they were "caledonian" or "corks".

Barry

Looking again at the photo's the two men in the front of the second photo look like father and son. The photo's must have been taken at different times as the flowers on the tables are different. The rooms look different as well. The first photo looks like it could be a Christmas party as I think there are decorations hanging on the ceiling.:) The information on the photo's was given to me by the owner who is 83.:)

Back