• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Loxton School and Bloomsbury St

for anyone interested if you go to carl chinns birmingham lives site and type in loxton school in the search box there is a pic of a 1940 senior leaving certificate...

astoness

Re: loxton st boys ,bloomsbury st.school.

HI MY NAME IS bARBARA AND I REMEMBER ALL THOSE TEACHERS AT BLOOMSBURY SR GIRLS SCHOOL.

I was at Loxton Street from 1958 - 1964. I honestly can't remember too much about the junior school, apart from it was seperated from the seniors, by a wall and gate in the playground. When I went to the seniors the head was a nasty little oik called Parker (I think). He had a Hitler complex I'm sure, he wore a little moustache and really enjoyed using the stick. He had one with a steel tip that he used sometimes. I remember Mr Martin teaching woodwork and Mr. Wells, who had a big black beard and taught History I think. I remember three RE teachers, Mr.Evans, nasty little welsh man. Mr. Mulraney, who shared his love of classical music with me and others at lunchtimes. The third I cannot for the life of me remember his name but, he was fantastic. He was a big man with white hair and some facial hair sometimes, he would easily get sidetracked, or so we thought, into talking about his experiences in the trenches during the first world war. He always managed to relate what he had been talking about, to what would have been the bible lesson. Yes he was well over the age of retirement. He had one of those voices that could have been used to comment on the radio about the cricket.
I seem to remember that the initiation into seniors was to get thrown over the wall between seniors playground and the juniors.

Reading through these posts has brought back some memories and some names. Roy Vincent, Robert Snookes, Graham Hughes, Roy Clark?, unsure of first name for some reason, Roy James, Johnny Clanahan, Ivor Butler, Les Broadley, Chris Husbands and Mickey Gunn. There was a kid with us for awhile whose name was Royston, a sickly kid as I remember.

When we moved to Duddeston Manor Bi-Lateral, we were joined by the girls from Bloomsbury St. June Ravenscroft, Linda Baker, Linda Taylor, Janet Green and Janet Marsden are the ones I recall.
We were also joined by Barry Ibadullah. Man could he cook. I do believe his family owned a butchers shop towards the top of Great Lister Street.

Just had a brainwave. For Roy James it should read Paul James.

Last edited:
My Mum who lived in Cato St. went to Loxton St, probably in 1923 and always had bad memories of her time there as a little child. As a sensitive, artistic, musical, dancer she needed something different and eventually found it through a private education and a career in Classical Ballet. My grand parents must have made enormous sacrifices for her eventually buying a house in Washwood Heath for her to open her own Dancing school in 1940. 'Ragleth' is still there.

Good morning, sorry for the ridiculous hour communication, but I was on line to family abroad! I just came across your post about the Ragleth dancing school in Washwood Heath. I recall it was run by Miss Lennon and her mom Mrs Lennon was our resident costume make and her sewing room was in the attic of the house from what I recall. We would be measured up and kitted out in there for our annual shows etc. The ground floor dance studio had proper sprung wooden floors, with a tray of resin gravel in the corner which we would step in to make our dance shoes less slippery! We had a pianist (her name slips me) who also worked in/owned the corner shop on Warren Road/Leigh Road. Our changing room was based on the first floor then up a flight or two to the attic room. I started there in around 1965 and left in around 1970. I started a grammar school and my father couldnt see how it was possible for to have dance lessons twice a week and study!?! Great times though, i loved it and it was a confidence booster. I look back at my years with miss Lennon with much fondness. As you rightly state, the house is still there with the original wall and Ragleth engraved stone. It is now a private house.

Back