• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lower Windsor Street School

CaroleC

master brummie
Does anyone remember Windsor Street school and Grosvenor Street school, my auntie went to both these schools in the 1930s I think they were close to Cardigan Street.

This info comes from the National Archives.
Lower Windsor Street Board School opened in 1874 with accommodation for 1034 boys, girls and infants. A workshop was provided in 1893, which was enlarged in 1911. The school was substantially altered and reorganised in 1928 into three departments for senior boys, junior mixed and infants. Further accommodation was provided in the former Windsor Street Temporary Council School which became part of this school in 1931 [see S217]. The Senior Boys Department closed in 1939 and the Junior Mixed and Infants Departments united in 1940. The name of the school was changed in 1954. It closed and the buildings were demolished in 1963. The school was replaced by Vauxhall Gardens Primary School which opened in September 1963 [see S206]

Last edited by a moderator:
Grosvenor Street School was sandwiched between Fox Street and Grosvenor Street once looked across Curzon Street Goods yard and if it were there today it would look out on Millennium Point.

Attachments

• Fox Street School.jpg
    Fox Street School.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Windsor St School.jpg
    Windsor St School.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 25
From British History Online

LOWER WINDSOR STREET COUNCIL SCHOOL. See Windsor Cty. Primary Sch.
WINDSOR COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Duddeston. Lower Windsor St. Bd. Sch. opened 1874 by Birm. Sch. Bd.(22) Accom. 1,034 B, G, I.(1) Fees all 1d.,(22) since it was in a poor and crowded area. Playground enlarged 1876, I dept. enlarged 1884. Workshop provided 1893 and enlarged 1911. Bd. of Ed. demanded minor improvements in premises 1912. Substantially altered and reorganized 1928 for SB, JM, I, and accom. provided in former Windsor St. Temporary Council Sch., q.v., which became part of this sch. 1931. SB dept. closed 1939, JM and I depts. united 1940.(21) Name changed 1954. Accom. 1961: 11 cla

Hi Susan. I’m moving your post to a thread that already exists. Viv.

Edit. Post now moved to this thread. Viv.

Back