• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lovegrove, Alfred Great Uncle

greywolf

hunter of ancestry
Hi
Im looking for my great uncle Afred Lovegrove
Who i found was still living in Birmingham up to 1970's
He was born 1898 in Solhull. Hes sisters were Amy and Annie both born in Birminghan....I was wondering if anyone might have him or his family . Or could look him up the phone book There maybe family still around and would any help finding them as they the only family left Annie and Amy both pass on and so have my parents, it would be nice to find family
Thank you

BT phone book does not list a Lovegrove - could be ex directory or just not have a landline. 192 lists a number pf people called Lovegrove but no Alfred. Won't post any on here as these are all live people.

Sorry to bother again Mike and pjmburns but would there be archived British phone books that go back to 50s-60s ? I was hope there might be a chance he had family .I dont live in England an I dont the money to access on.line info. Thank

Greywolf,

It would help it you could tell us the details of his last sighting in the UK - exact location, date & source.

Phone books are on Ancestry.com

Maurice

Sorry to bother again Mike and pjmburns but would there be archived British phone books that go back to 50s-60s ? I was hope there might be a chance he had family .I dont live in England an I dont the money to access on.line info. Thank

greywolf its no trouble...hope someone can help you but could you just confirm that you are trying to find any living relatives of alfred lovegrove??

lyn

Ancestry has phone books but as Maurice said a bit more info would help - although if Alfred is listed that does not mean he had relatives. Do you know if he had children?? Was he married?

Last edited:
Ancestry lists a number of mentions of an Alfred Lovegrove in London from 1931- 1960 (All at 15 Kenilworth avenue), but none in Birmingham, and none after 1960

And a search for for just the name Lovegrove in Birmingham was completely negative

Greywolf,

It would help it you could tell us the details of his last sighting in the UK - exact location, date & source.

Phone books are on Ancestry.com

Maurice
Hi Maurice wished I knew where was located. I do remember he was last living in the Birmingham area

Greywolf,

I've tried to work forward from that Solihull birth in 1898, but no Alfred Lovegrove born close to that date admits to being born anywhere near Solihull in either the 1901 or 1911 Censuses. If you don't have a copy of that Solihull birth certificate then I suggest you get one, so that you can at least be certain that you have a correct starting point. If you do have a copy, could you kindly tell us who his parents were? We're happy to help, but at the same time we want to assure ourselves that we are not giving you incorrect information.

Maurice

Thanks Maurice
I will get his birth cert as soon was possible, And I will let you know thanks for trying to help
Angie
Greywolf,

I've tried to work forward from that Solihull birth in 1898, but no Alfred Lovegrove born close to that date admits to being born anywhere near Solihull in either the 1901 or 1911 Censuses. If you don't have a copy of that Solihull birth certificate then I suggest you get one, so that you can at least be certain that you have a correct starting point. If you do have a copy, could you kindly tell us who his parents were? We're happy to help, but at the same time we want to assure ourselves that we are not giving you incorrect information.

Maurice

On the 1911 census the 3 children are together (mistranscribed as Lovezrow) and listed as visitors - all 3 are entered as born in Birmingham. As the 2 girls were born in Birmingham it is possible someone assumed Alfred was as well.

We've partly done this one before. They appear to be the illegitimate Dodwell/Lovegrove children.

The parents are on the 1939 register - Frederick and Mary Dodwell in Bham - but no Alfred, Lovegrove or Dodwell.

Back