• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Loveday Street

I

ivprice

My grandfather had a business in Loveday Street - I think in the 1930's - BH Pottier & Co at 51 to 63. Is that bit of Loveday Street still there? Any info gratefully received

i am searching for any more pics of loveday st and lower loveday st...

many thanks...

lyn

Wish I could take a walk down Loveday Street where I was born. I'm really sorry that it's on the other side of the ocean. Does it still look like this??

As requested here are some of the missing photos of loveday st

Loveday2520St2520Hospital.jpg

City2BLoveday2BSt2B2B28229.jpg
A close up of above

regards stars

Last edited by a moderator:
hi stars...pics 2 and 3 are of lovers walk not loveday st....im so pleased that you posted them though as i did not save them first time round..

lyn

morning stars...go to the lovers lane thread its the same difference..i posted 1 pic on it the other day...be great to have your 2 to go with it...

lyn

I watched a programme recently about servants on BBC iPlayer (afraid it's expired now), and there was mention of Julia Varley, Suffragette and Labour Activist who opened a club in Loveday Street for femail servants.

She realised that there was no place where female servants could meet. It became the headquarters for a female servants' union as well as somewhere they could entertain friends. The club developed a charter which ensured women servants could start to set out their their own terms and conditions. The newspapers called it the Servants' Paradise.Viv.

A few screenshots from the programme

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351202940.540869.jpg Julia Varley.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351202970.499765.jpg Servants being able to choose their own name.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351203003.085154.jpg No longer having to share a bed.

Viv.

So sad, all this radicalisation amongst the servant class's, if it hadn't happened we could have all had one now, and I did read somewhere on the forum that some Lord or other had been stopped by law from b"thrashing" his own servants for goodness sake, where will it all end.Paul

My grandfather had a business in Loveday Street - I think in the 1930's - BH Pottier & Co at 51 to 63. Is that bit of Loveday Street still there? Any info gratefully received
I know it's quite a while since you posted this, but I was wondering if you knew anything about the firm your grandfather owned in Loveday Street. My aunt worked there for a number of years.

Quite a significant picture, one of the GOE Daimlers carrying the rush hour only Perry Common 5 route indicator, but what was it doing in Loveday Street? Buses on that route were rarer than hens teeth, the other thing is, but I am ready to be corrected, the GOE buses were mostly allocated to Harborne in the beginning, we would only expect to see them at Court Lane carrying Portland Road 7, is there a date for this picture?

Bob

Quite a significant picture, one of the GOE Daimlers carrying the rush hour only Perry Common 5 route indicator, but what was it doing in Loveday Street? Buses on that route were rarer than hens teeth, the other thing is, but I am ready to be corrected, the GOE buses were mostly allocated to Harborne in the beginning, we would only expect to see them at Court Lane carrying Portland Road 7, is there a date for this picture?

Bob
Bob,
I presume the post #98. by Lyn (Astoness) is the photo you refer to.
I make a guess that the bus was parked off route ready for the peak hour rush, especially as it was on short working. Other than that maybe it was on its way for such a purpose but broke down?

Do you have any information on Loveday Street around the 1850s?
A map of that time would reflect any info.
I'm doing family history research and Loveday Street (no house number) is the address on a marriage certificate dated 1853 for Abigail Mayfield. Her name changes to Nightengale (or Nightingale) when she married.
Many thanks

Last edited:
NannyPam

My apologies - I've only just seen your posting.

My grandfather was an engineer who did all sorts of things including experimental work, giving advice on inventions, drawings and model making. In addition he made nuts, bolts etc in all threads as well as cut gears, taps and dies, milling cutters, special tools, jigs and so on.

Attached is a jpeg of an advert for "Dome Nuts" 20210104_174505.jpg20210104_174505.jpg

NannyPam

My apologies - I've only just seen your posting.

My grandfather was an engineer who did all sorts of things including experimental work, giving advice on inventions, drawings and model making. In addition he made nuts, bolts etc in all threads as well as cut gears, taps and dies, milling cutters, special tools, jigs and so on.

Attached is a jpeg of an advert for "Dome Nuts" View attachment 151464View attachment 151464
Pattier, thank you for this information. do you have anymore information on his gear cutting, taps & dies etc. I am a retired engineer and very interested in the processes he might have used.

Pattier, thank you for this information. do you have anymore information on his gear cutting, taps & dies etc. I am a retired engineer and very interested in the processes he might have used.
Richard

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry but I don't have anything more. My grandfather's son is still alive who may know but I can't really see him at the moment due to Covid.

I will let you know if I find out anything.

Regards
Ian Price

Richard

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry but I don't have anything more. My grandfather's son is still alive who may know but I can't really see him at the moment due to Covid.

I will let you know if I find out anything.

Regards
Ian Price
Thank you Ian...stay safe & healthy!

Hi All,
I am researching the my great great grandfather whose death record says he was 'Of Salvation Army Shelter Loveday Street'. Would this be what is now the hospital, or could someone explain where it was or point me to an image of it? I am from Canada so my knowledge of such is limited. Thanks!

I suspect that it was an, old care home run by the Salvation army, in the day, and it later became a hospital under the NHS, in 1948, maybe The salvation Army records office may help you, in the day when poor, and old, there was only the "Work House", or Charities run mainly by Religious orders. Wish you luck, Regards Paul

wow great shots again mark...bull pub on the corner with price st and those bricked up properties were refurbished...st view below

I suspect that it was an, old care home run by the Salvation army, in the day, and it later became a hospital under the NHS, in 1948, maybe The salvation Army records office may help you, in the day when poor, and old, there was only the "Work House", or Charities run mainly by Religious orders. Wish you luck, Regards Paul
Thank you! I never thought about checking SA records!

Back