• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Loveday Street, Birmingham

H

Hobie

Hi all, sadly my brother was born at Loveday Street Maternity Hospital in 1948 but only lived for 12 hours. He was baptised and his birth registered , which I have found, however i cannot find a record of his death. At the time I beleive babies were just "whisked away" and buried. Unfortunately I never asked my mother, when she was alive, if she knew where his grave may be. Does anyone out there know
1) Which cemetery babies from Loveday Street Hospital were buried in
2) Would there have been any records of his burial.

Hi my mother lost a baby in the early 1940's and she always told me that it was buried in a coffin of an adult so it did not have to be on its own.Perhaps that was true.

Yes this is true as I lost a baby boy in 1963 and was advised that this was the best way "to deal with it" to put him in with an adult!!!

This was at Loveday Street as well.

Hi all, sadly my brother was born at Loveday Street Maternity Hospital in 1948 but only lived for 12 hours. He was baptised and his birth registered , which I have found, however i cannot find a record of his death. At the time I beleive babies were just "whisked away" and buried. Unfortunately I never asked my mother, when she was alive, if she knew where his grave may be. Does anyone out there know
My brother died a few days after being born and is buried in a graveyard in the jewelery quarter. A grave of multiple occupation. It was recorded on his death certificate. He died in 1958

Hi...my name is Karen and I had a sister who was born in 1963 she only lived a few hours and my mom doesn't know if she was buried or not etc...did you find out what happened to the dead babies and if there's a graveyard with them in in bham as I would like to see my sister's grave

Yes this is true as I lost a baby boy in 1963 and was advised that this was the best way "to deal with it" to put him in with an adult!!!

This was at Loveday Street as well.
Hello...my name is Karen Bedford and my mom have birth in loveday street to a little girl but she only lived about 10 hours and I would love to find her grave or what happened to her...do you know where I could start my search?

Hi...my name is Karen and I had a sister who was born in 1963 she only lived a few hours and my mom doesn't know if she was buried or not etc...did you find out what happened to the dead babies and if there's a graveyard with them in in bham as I would like to see my sister's grave

Was your sister named? Was her surname Bedford and what was your mmn? Can see if there's a birth/death registration then.

Was your sister named? Was her surname Bedford and what was your mmn? Can see if there's a birth/death registration then.
Yes her name is Debbie or Debra Bedford born 18th January 1963...thank you for getting back to me

there is this death record but its for jan 64 not 63

Debroah Bedford
Death Age:0
Birth Date:abt 1964
Registration Date:Jan 1964
[Feb 1964]
[Mar 1964]
Registration Quarter:Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration District:Birmingham
Inferred County:Warwickshire
Volume:9c
Page:709

Was she Patricia Turner married Neville Terence Bedford?

And was it possibly 1964? There's a Deborah Bedford b & d registered Mar qtr 1964 and a burial Feb 1964 at Witton.
Yes my dad was Terry Bedford and my moms maiden name was turner ...omg

Thank you so much ...I will do this...you've made me very happy..I can't thank you enough ❤
its very sad that your mom never knew where deborah was buried kaz but better late than never..will you please let us know how things go..i have always found witton most helpful and as there will be no headstone arrangements can be made with them for a member of staff to take you to the correct grave position...if you need anymore help get back to me and i will see what i can do for you as i live very close to witton cem

lyn

there is this death record but its for jan 64 not 63

Debroah Bedford
Death Age:0
Birth Date:abt 1964
Registration Date:Jan 1964
[Feb 1964]
[Mar 1964]
Registration Quarter:Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration District:Birmingham
Inferred County:Warwickshire
Volume:9c
Page:709
That would fit a Dec birth/ death

its very sad that your mom never knew where deborah was buried kaz but better late than never..will you please let us know how things go..i have always found witton most helpful and as there will be no headstone arrangements can be made with them for a member of staff to take you to the correct grave position...if you need anymore help get back to me and i will see what i can do for you as i live very close to witton cem

lyn
Hi Lyn ...I visited witton cemetery with my friend Monday 17th yesterday and I could see where plot 174 is where my sister Deobrah is buried but not the exact position so I've rang the number which was on the office door and spoke to a lady regarding someone meeting me there to show me the exact location where she is...I'm waiting for them to get back to me now. My family would like her to be exumed but lady on the phone said she reckons this cannot happen....such a shame as we would like her near us in stourbridge. I don't like driving to bham but we will visit every now and then and probably have a plaque made for her.
But thanks again for the info you found for me and my mom etc we are so so grateful ...your a diamond

Hi Lyn ...I visited witton cemetery with my friend Monday 17th yesterday and I could see where plot 174 is where my sister Deobrah is buried but not the exact position so I've rang the number which was on the office door and spoke to a lady regarding someone meeting me there to show me the exact location where she is...I'm waiting for them to get back to me now. My family would like her to be exumed but lady on the phone said she reckons this cannot happen....such a shame as we would like her near us in stourbridge. I don't like driving to bham but we will visit every now and then and probably have a plaque made for her.
But thanks again for the info you found for me and my mom etc we are so so grateful ...your a diamond
oh that is splendid kaz and i can quite understand you and your mom wanting deborah closer to you both but as you have already been advised it would be impossible..however at least i hope this brings a sort of closer for your family in knowing where deborah is..at least once you have been led to the exact spot you will be able to take flowers from time to time and hopefully be allowed to put down some sort of marker which you may need permission for..i would ask about this when you meet with a member of staff...please let us know how things go...

lyn

Back