• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

loveday st medical records

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all...could anyone tell me where the medical records of loveday st hospital are held..i am looking to go back to 1935

thanks for any help given...

lyn

Colin may be able to help Lyn but I have a feeling most records have been destroyed.

Hi All,
I am new to this site tonight.. ive just registered after talking to my social worker today. The records for Loveday Street hospital are available to view at Birmingham City Archives Library. But they are very Sketchey depending on what year you are looking for. I was born there in 1957..as far as my adoption papers say.. but i now know that dates can be changed.. and im now an unknown as i was not born on the day .

hi sharon and a warm welcome to the forum..thanks for the advise about the medical records i will look into it....

lyn

image60811.jpg
Loveday Street Maternity Hospital

image42461.jpg
image42481.jpg
image42501.jpg
[FONT=&quot]Birmingham History[/FONT]

The Birmingham Lying-in Hospital and Dispensary for the diseases of Women and Children was formed in 1842, and was originally located in St. Mary’s Square, but moved a year later to premises in Broad Street, it only accepted “married women” for child birth cases.
In 1906, land was brought in Loveday Street at a cost of £2,850 to build a purpose built hospital, with £11,900 spent on building costs and a further £1,500 to equip the hospital. Due to an appeal which raised the required money it was able to open debt free, but needed to continue to raise funds as running costs were estimated at £1,500 per annum.
The hospital closed in 1968. Posted by Len.

Back