• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Love On Two Wheels

In my school days I met a girl at Solihull Ice rink who lived in Hinkley. She was a frequent skater so I used to see her twice a week. One weekend I paid her a visit by cycling over to her house. I hadn't considered the return trip so after spending the day there I agreed to leave my bike in the garden shed and she she kindly lent me 50p so I could catch the train back to Marston Green, which was a reasonably short walk from home. A few weeks later I agreed to meet her again in the Easter holiday. The intention was to catch the train and then cycle back. Unfortunately I spent all the money I had on going to the cinema with my mates the night before. As a last resort I asked my Dad if he would lend me the train fare and he replied rather sarcastically, 'No, why don't you walk". I got really annoyed and felt that I had to make a point. Being a cross country runner I got up at 6am the following morning, dressed and put a track suit over my clothes and start started running. Three and a half hours later I had reached Nuneaton Bus station and used what little money I had to phone my girlfriend to tell her I would be arriving later than expected. Her parents took pity on me and picked me up in their car. Later that evening I cycled back home. I dread to think how my clothes must have smelled with all the sweat from running and cycling - a 17 mile run from Sheldon and a 17 mile cycle ride back. I don't know if the strength came from enthusiasm, or anger with my Dad but wish I was that fit now!

Love on two wheels? This was an add in Condor bikes magazine She passed me a few times on the bike paths HaHa

Attachments

• Condor 001.jpg
    Condor 001.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 5
47189877_1589168761183154_7486501629017980928_n.jpgMy first love? The bike or the "Bird"(Girl) June Howell who live i the Prefabs across the street on Moat Lane Yardley By the way Avencroft has the prefab her family lived in there. The bike my 1949 Claud Butler (Check out the jumper I am wearing, Mom knitted that for me)

Rosie.In 1966 me and 2 friends decided we would cycle around Scotland.On a wet Sunday in Glasgow I did exactly the same .Got stuck in the tramlines .My front wheel slipped of the cobblestones into the track and the weight of my saddle bag bought me crashing down.Glad to say no injures to me or my bike

Back