• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

love lane..aston

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i must look on the map to see exactly where love lane was...heres a pic of bomb damage...

curtasy of carl chinns birmingham lives...

astoness.

Love Lane went from Dartmouth Street and ran uphill past the side of Saint Lawence Church and over the canal bridge up to Aston Road. My A-Z's only show part of the Lane ( The lower half is missing ) Perhaps someone will post a better map, if not I shall post what I have.
The Photograph, well I was a bit too young to recognise the building, and it was most probably leveled to the ground.

Lyn I remember a lovers walk Aston. Would that be the same road?. It used to run alongside Aston station. Jean.

jean..thats what confused me as i too have heard of a lovers walk...not sure its one and the same..not that i ever had first and knowledge of it of course...lol

lyn

Oh I did Lyn. Not what your thinking I walked down it many a time when taking my pets to the PDSA on Lichfield road.

Here is Love lane circa 1913
mike

love_lane_1913.jpg

Lyn

Now us ex Nechellites would consider Love Lane Nechells or at least Gosta Green, isn't that right Ernie.

Here at the other end of Love Lane that used to run from the other side of Darmouth St opposite Lord St Nechells. are a couple of photo's one of the Nechells Church at the end of Love Lane St Lawrence's and the other of a Nechells firm Delta Metals preparing for a kiddies outing.

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells St Lawrence's Church Love Lane .jpg
    Nechells St Lawrence's Church Love Lane .jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 28
  • St Lawrence  Dartmouth St.jpg
    St Lawrence Dartmouth St.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 22
Phil. Pleased your keeping well I was always confused ( STILL AM ) as to whether it was Nechells, Ashted or Duddeston. It started as Nechells when I was very young.

Hi astoness ,
i think the building in your pic is between holte st & oxygen st
in love lane, if it is the back of the building was an open space
which bordered lister st,
there was a pub on the corner of love lane & aston rd
the general wolf i think !

All the pics are great, please keep them comming terry

Phil. Pleased your keeping well I was always confused ( STILL AM ) as to whether it was Nechells, Ashted or Duddeston. It started as Nechells when I was very young.

Ernie

I also am glad to see you are still fighting fit and well, these pesky Astonites trying to pinch our streets. It always was Nechells and still is now even though the university have pinched it.

Phil

Mike
I very much appreciate your help with the address locations.

When you have time I would be interested to pinpoint the location of 36 Love lane, 34 Love Lane court 5 and 1 Love lane court 5.

Love lane seems very industrialised with quite a few factories and a church. In a newspaper readers letter dated 1867 I read that some of the factories around Love lane gave off some not very nice smells such as the Proctor and Ryland bone boiling works, the gas works and some factories using nitric acid called "aquafortis works".

Louisa

Louisa
Afraid I've not been too successful. Below is a map (c1889) of Love lane. also a much less detailed map of c1828 & c 1839. I am fairly sure that the numbers in red (1,2,3,4,5, Court 2 and Court 6) are in the correct position on the map. The blue numbers are where I think those houses were, but am not exactly certain. Court 1 (in green is where I think it must be, but ,other than that it is immediately before court 2 and some rather unclear directory evidence, I have no definite evidence. Court 5 must, I think have been demolished by the time of the 1889 map. The other maps show that there seem to have been a court/courts to the east of court 5 (a blank space on the 1889 map), and I assume that that was where court 5 was. It could possibly have had 34 houses on it, but can't think I've come across a court with that number of houses before.. Sorry I can't drag any more infp out for you, but if I do find anything else i will post further.

map_c_1889_love_lane_showing_suggested_numbers.jpg

love_lane_c_1828_.jpg

love_lane__1839.jpg

Mike
I cant thank you enough for the detailed map work you have done on my query about the location of houses in Love Lane. There were so many factories that I couldn't see where there could have been space for houses, but you solved that for me.

I see there was also a school in the middle of all the factories and 2 nearby chemical works, it couldn't have been healthy for the children but I suppose it was all part of life in a highly industrialised area in those times.

Thank you again for your help
Louisa

Back