• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Louise Lorne Rd Moseley

Elefjay

Does anyone have any recollections/memories of Louise Lorne Rd Moseley from back in early 1970s or even late 1960s. I have been out of Birmingham for many years but I am a born and bred Brummie. I was just reminiscing of being a teenager and the Saturday jobs I had. Around about 1972-73 I worked for a friend of my father who had a Car repair premises and attached yard in Louise Lorne Rd. There were several similar premises there. I seem to remember it was accessed by a very rough road/track. Ive looked on Google maps and Google earth and cannot imagine where this was exactly. It seems that the road itself is there with many residential properties but bears no resemblance to how i remember it. Does anybody else on here have memories that would match mine?

hi. I can remember a yard down a bit of a track.on the left. ( going down the rd). its where I got my welding bottles from..he was a car repairer.and a scrap yard

Last edited:
i been thinking there was abut 6 car repair yards along that rd, the first on the right was a scrapyard run by paddyl lewlass

i been thinking there was abut 6 car repair yards along that rd, the first on the right was a scrapyard run by paddyl lewlass
My dads friend i worked for was named Ray White, his Garage/Yard was on the left hand side ( coming up from the bottom of the road), i think the place next door was owned by a guy named Pete. I wonder what happened to all those businesses and what year did they cease to exist?

There's some comments about Louise Lorne Rd & Car repairers in this other thread

In the early 80's Peter DeJong had a workshop somewhere along there repairing & restoring Mk2 Jaguars

In the immediate post war years there was a business building (shaded) in Louise Lorne Road which is marked by an arrow from Moseley Road ... note the change in alignment of the houses.
LouiseLorneRd_1946.jpg
image source 'britainfromabove'

The motor workshop was Austin/BMC dealer Startins , who had showroom in Moseley village ,that then became TSB bank and then pub by various names, by traffic lights.
Louie Lorne Rd ran straight between Alcester Rd and Trafalger Rd
The lane/ gully that crossed it was in fact a street. The only street in Moseley named Mount Street and this was where the yards were.
Mount St not showing on map now but I had it in my Wakelin's street guide in the 1970's
Paddy Lawless had scrapyard for years up "The Lane" as we called it. He was well known
Eddie Flaherty ran a fleet of tipper wagon and JCB's
Tom & Pete ran a HGV repair yard Tom went on to run Scanlons at Acocks Green before Carol got it. Pete was a Welshman.
There were various car repair/ scrapyard type places

The motor workshop was Austin/BMC dealer Startins , who had showroom in Moseley village ,that then became TSB bank and then pub by various names, by traffic lights.
Louie Lorne Rd ran straight between Alcester Rd and Trafalger Rd
The lane/ gully that crossed it was in fact a street. The only street in Moseley named Mount Street and this was where the yards were.
Mount St not showing on map now but I had it in my Wakelin's street guide in the 1970's
Paddy Lawless had scrapyard for years up "The Lane" as we called it. He was well known
Eddie Flaherty ran a fleet of tipper wagon and JCB's
Tom & Pete ran a HGV repair yard Tom went on to run Scanlons at Acocks Green before Carol got it. Pete was a Welshman.
There were various car repair/ scrapyard type places
The same Mr Flaherty who, with his brother, owned most of Wharfdale Rd industrial units alongside the canal and truckstop (old BCHC yard I think)?

Does anyone have any recollections/memories of Louise Lorne Rd Moseley from back in early 1970s or even late 1960s. I have been out of Birmingham for many years but I am a born and bred Brummie. I was just reminiscing of being a teenager and the Saturday jobs I had. Around about 1972-73 I worked for a friend of my father who had a Car repair premises and attached yard in Louise Lorne Rd. There were several similar premises there. I seem to remember it was accessed by a very rough road/track. Ive looked on Google maps and Google earth and cannot imagine where this was exactly. It seems that the road itself is there with many residential properties but bears no resemblance to how i remember it. Does anybody else on here have memories that would match mine?
HI. Interested in your knowledge of Louise Lorne Lane. I lived in a caravan on my fathers car repair shop in 1961. According to my birth cert.

I used to deliver meat to a lady in Louise Lorne Road in the 50s from R W Wright and Sons. She always tipped well

Back