• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Louis Barnett - Furniture Dealer, Holloway Head, 1880s

Tony Globe

Brummie babby
Does anyone have knowledge of Louis Barnett, a Birmingham Furniture Dealer in the 1880s? His address in 1881 was 47 Holloway Head. He was Polish born (c. 1950) and I believe died in about 1886. His widow Hannah (aka Annie) carried on the business until at least 1911. looking at a street view it appears if the area has been redeveloped, but there seem to be some older buildings remaining.

Louis Barnett, furniture and general dealer and jeweller filed for liquidation with liabilities of £300 in July 1881.

Louis Barnett, furniture and general dealer and jeweller filed for liquidation with liabilities of £300 in July 1881.
Many thanks for that. I'm trying to find a match for an ancestor who came to Manchester from Poland in 1856 with his father, mother and siblings. Original family name was Baruch but they changed it to Barnett. The family moved to London in about 1867, but Louis Baruch/Barnett stayed in Manchester but I can't find any record of him after 1871 in Manchester or London. There are very few Louis Barnetts in UK records, but from the 1881 Census Louis Barnett furniture dealer in Birmingham is born in Poland in 1850, which is a match, and his dying in 1886 explains why I can't find any later records; He was Jewish, and I have a burial record in Whitton Old Jewish Cemetery that ties up with Louis Barnett's death registration in Birmingham. Doubt I'll be able to get definitive proof this is the Louis I'm looking for, but the best candidate I have so far.

In 1883, 47 Holloway Head was occupied by Thomas Hutchins, baker.

What makes you think that the business was carried on by his wife ?

Many thanks for that. I'm trying to find a match for an ancestor who came to Manchester from Poland in 1856 with his father, mother and siblings. Original family name was Baruch but they changed it to Barnett.

Probably the easiest way to prove if he is the same one would be to purchase his marriage certificate - appears to be Mar qtr 1873, Bham - and see if his father's details match.

Exhaust all other options first because wasting money on wrong certificates (even a £10 or so) can soon mount up.

Ah, to answer my own question. From the 1891 Census as Annie Barnett.
Yes, and also shown in 1911 census. Can't find her in 1921, and I have a burial record for Annie Barnett in 1912 at Witton cemetery, where Louis was buried. Must be the right Annie because the inscription on the stone references sons (she had four) and daughter (one) and sister (who lived with her), and the gravestone matches Louis'.

Probably the easiest way to prove if he is the same one would be to purchase his marriage certificate - appears to be Mar qtr 1873, Bham - and see if his father's details match.

Exhaust all other options first because wasting money on wrong certificates (even a £10 or so) can soon mount up.
I'm at the point now where I don't have any other options. MC is probably the only way to check it. The register transcript has him as Lewis, not Louis as in census records, and she is Annie, but Hannah in the 1981 census. I've generally found Marriage Certificates to be the most accurate...I've had several documents where Lewis is on register but Louis on the original document (and vive versa). Appreciate the help...

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
The index for the marriage is interesting - did Louis have a brother Lazarus? If so it looks as if they might have married at the same time. The second name appears to be recorded as Barnett Lazarus.
1655655996504.png

The Louis I am looking for doesn't have a brother Lazarus, but Annie and Louis had a son Lazarus (but in the 1891 census son Lazarus appears to have changed his name to his father Louis, who died in 1886). Sometimes the marriage certificates are a single page and show the bride and groom plus witnesses, and sometimes it's two weddings per page and the transcript shows both brides and grooms. Anyway, I've ordered the certificate, so I'll let you know...

Back