• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lost West Midlands Breweries

Heartland

master brummie
In an age where local brewing is becoming more common, it is perhaps important to reflect on those that have gone.

Does anybody remember Simpkiss at Brierley Hill1545001.jpg

Perhaps "more common than it has been for 10-50 years " might be a better phrase. Remember that at one time a large proiportion of pubs brewed their own beer, before the advent of the big breweries, and even till the 1960s local breweries were quite common

In the interests of indexing, can you or one of the other mods correct the typos in the thread title please, Mike?

Maurice

In an age where local brewing is becoming more common, it is perhaps important to reflect on those that have gone.

Does anybody remember Simpkiss at Brierley HillView attachment 118619
Hi, I haven't seen any records from Simpkis's, I but I was talking to a brewing friend recently and he told me that when he went round the brewery the soon after it stopped producing, I he felt like it had just been left, and including one brew in a vessel!!
Cheers
Edd

They had a pub, on Church Road, I believe, or Brettell Lane which was probably the Brewery Tap. The Brewery was round the corner in Delph Road, or maybe South Road. I gather the Brewery Tap was called the Foley Arms. This PH had been purchased by Jonathan Simpkiss in 1921 and brewing was conducted on the premises. Son, Dennis Simpkiss rebuilt the Brewery in 1934 and added a bottling plant in 1936. The third generation to run this brewery was Jonathan Simpkiss, who sold the business to Greenalls in 1985, who demolished the Brewery and like Davenports asset stripped what had become a popular brand.

Last edited:
Back