• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lost Trophies of Birmingham industrial fire brigades.

streamboy

knowlegable brummie
During the 1970s I worked at the Triplex Safety Glass Kings Norton and was a member of the works volunteer fire service.
On Sunday mornings I would attend training sessions at the Morris Commercial factory at ward end.
At the end of 8 weeks we would sit an exam and await our results , once the results came out we would attend a prize giving night at the Ward end factory where all the Fire chiefs and other ranks of the Birmingham And District Industrial Fire Brigades Association would assemble for sandwiches and a few cans of Ind coope .
During the night trophies would be handed out for coming well placed in the exams , the one year I was presented with the Butler trophy( a chrome plated fire branch(hose nozzle) on a wooden base).
This was kept at the Triplex in the gatehouse.
After leaving the Triplex a few years later about 1995 to 2000 returned to to repair some equipment in the canteen , on entering the gatehouse I noticed this trophy along with all the others for competitions ie cups , plates and badges were on display, this was their resting place after the B A D I F B assc was disbanded .
So my plea is does anybody know what happened to these trophies after they left the Triplex , they are all bits of Birmingham history with their names of individuals and factory fire brigades , shame for them to lie lost and forgotten like so much of our past is today.

There is this thread about the city's industrial brigades, but no mention of what happened to trophies and ephemera. I have the feeling you are in that thread with a similar name?
A suggestion I can make is that the BFSA were given custody of some items, maybe others are in private collections. There is a Fire Brigade museum in the city as you probably know, maybe they have information about some items? Many of the companies mentioned in that thread no longer exist.
Most former firefighters LA or Industrial have mementos. ;)

There is this thread about the city's industrial brigades, but no mention of what happened to trophies and ephemera. I have the feeling you are in that thread with a similar name?
A suggestion I can make is that the BFSA were given custody of some items, maybe others are in private collections. There is a Fire Brigade museum in the city as you probably know, maybe they have information about some items? Many of the companies mentioned in that thread no longer exist.
Most former firefighters LA or Industrial have mementos. ;)
Hello- slightly off topic but I am writing a book about medals and awards to British fire-fighters, and have found a medal issued by the Birmingham and District Industrial Fire Brigades Association. Trying to find out more about the medal (pic attached) and also the BDIFBA itself. Any who can help, let me know! I live in Australia so correspondence may be out of your usual hours!- Best regards, David.

Attachments

• Birmingham & Dist IFBA Obv whole Chomiak.JPG
    Birmingham & Dist IFBA Obv whole Chomiak.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • Birmingham & Dist IFBA Rev whole Chomiak.JPG
    Birmingham & Dist IFBA Rev whole Chomiak.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
hi david and welcome...we always advise not to post your private email address on open forum to prevent it being hacked so you can either edit your post and remove it or leave it on but at a risk...i am sure that if anyone can help with your enquiry they will post any info on here for you

lyn

There is a thread on Factory fire service, maybe you can gain info from it.

Had 60 industrial brigade members with about 30 motorised appliances and about 1000 men in November 1977 when there was the possibility of a fireman's strike.

The first holder of the Gold medal for distinguished service, 20 years with the Association, was presented in May 1962.

hi david and welcome...we always advise not to post your private email address on open forum to prevent it being hacked so you can either edit your post and remove it or leave it on but at a risk...i am sure that if anyone can help with your enquiry they will post any info on here for you

lyn
Thanks Lyn. Have fixed that, although my email gets used for everything, everywhere so if a hacker wants it, shouldn't be hard to find!!
Regards, David

Hello- slightly off topic but I am writing a book about medals and awards to British fire-fighters, and have found a medal issued by the Birmingham and District Industrial Fire Brigades Association. Trying to find out more about the medal (pic attached) and also the BDIFBA itself. Any who can help, let me know! I live in Australia so correspondence may be out of your usual hours!- Best regards, David.
Hi All again- I wonder if anyone can help with information about the ICI Metals Witton works Fire Brigade- I have located a medal issued by the firm but no info on the Fire Brigade itself. Hope you can help

Here is a photo of the Triplex Volunteer Fire Brigade showing off our completion Trophies, we competed at weekends against other Factory fire brigades.
The factories that competed were Triplex Safety Glass, Cadbury Chocolate, Sanky , Dunlop Tyres, Morris Motors and others that I have trouble remembering .
We did Heavy pump drills, Trailer pump drills and general hose running out and hitting targets with water jets against the clock.
Every year at the Triplex sports day we competed against Triplex St Helens in an inter factory event.

Attachments

• triplex.jpg
    triplex.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 8
There is a thread on Factory fire service, maybe you can gain info from it.

Had 60 industrial brigade members with about 30 motorised appliances and about 1000 men in November 1977 when there was the possibility of a fireman's strike.

The first holder of the Gold medal for distinguished service, 20 years with the Association, was presented in May 1962.

Hi Pedrocut-
Do you have any further info on the 'Gold medal for distinguished service, 20 years with the Association'? I assume it was issued by the Birmingham Industrial Fire Brigades Association? Cannot find any mentioned of it ewlsewhere so far.
Best regards
David

Back