• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lost streets of birmingham

Do you know where I can access this 1795 map in full, or ideally, a map dating to around 1814?

(I have a birth record stating a residence of "Bishops Street".
I do not see a Bishops street on my 1839 map; and suspect the Bishops street that appears on later maps is not a location matching where it was in 1814.
The place where Bishops street appears in later maps is represented only by an empty, undeveloped area on the 1839 map.
My hope is that a map closer to 1814 than my 1839 map may help me.)

Many thanks

HI MY FRIENDS
Changing of birimingham and its redevelopment and here are some of our lost parts of our great city
for better or worse ; for better i would say and we are still changing more rapid

streets; LOCATION ; CLEARANCE DATE ;

COACH YARD ]
COTTON ROW ] OFF FAZELEY ST 1884
COTTON ST ]

ENGINE STREET ] OFF NEW CANNAL ST 1886
FORGE STREET ] OFF MILL ST ASTON RD
I have family who appeared on the 1871 census in Cotton Street, any photos of what it was like around then please?

I can find mo mention of a Cotton Street in the 1872 directory. Possibly it is badly written and been misinterpreted. Could you let us know the person it refers to , so we can view the entry?

Hi Guys
i was just wondering does any body have any old maps or pics of our lost streets of brum
especialy around that area, which was close to the bull ring in times gone bye.
the street names i have are as follows;
Cotton row; and Cotton street which was off fazely street and of course which would have been even closer to the old bull ring in that period was
Engine street which was off new cannal street which i truely beleive would have been virtualy in the heart of the very orinional bull ring
tracing from bromsgrove st where the main old fish whole sale market stood and the under ground storage of the fruit and veg
and of course the holding of cattle brought from the country side to the hide and skin,
Cotton row And cotton street was cleared in the period of 1884 years,
Also Forge street, off mill lane which came from the ASTON ROAD PART OF THE CITY STRAIGHT INTO THE HEART OF THE BULL RING
Forge street of mill lane was cleared in 1886 ;
Here is a list of afew more streets that changed brum ;
from the past to the present ; Warstone lane east 1873; to todays Alfred st .
from William street , changed in 1898 to cranby street saltley .
And last of ALL was moses lane to todays name Croft rd Yardley . birmingham
so brum as changed dramaticaly and is still changing to compete with the europeans countries , is that a good thing or a bad thing ;
i think they call it progress today or am i behind times
all i can say is only the fittest and the richess will survive this planet
best wishes everybody and roll on the good climate changes they forcasted my bones cannot take these winter cold weather
Astonian ;;;

I have family who appeared on the 1871 census in Cotton Street, any photos of what it was like around then please?
My great great great granny Jane Broadbent left Braunston, Northamptonshire shortly after the 1861 census and gave birth to her last son in Birmingham in September 1861. 3 or 4 days after Jane had given birth, her husband Edward Broadbent died in a catastrophic canal boat accident. I am not sure where Jane lived between Summer 1861 and the 1871 census as there is nothing to check against, her daughter Sarah (Broadbent) Gough and her husband James Gough were with her in Cotton Street. Jane disappeared between 1871 and 1881 census and I can't find out where she went, or if she died. Jane had a son who was Captain of a barge on the Manchester Ship Canal, another daughter Elizabeth was married to a Staffordshire canal boater and two of the younger kids were also on boats, so she could have ended up with one of her other children, or even on a boat.

In 1881 James & Sarah Gough were then shown as living Hse Bk of 69, 5 Heath Street, Birmingham.

I can find mo mention of a Cotton Street in the 1872 directory. Possibly it is badly written and been misinterpreted. Could you let us know the person it refers to , so we can view the entry?
certainly looks like cotton st to me mike....one page back is engine st and before that is fazeley street...71 census for jane broadbent is below also looking at this map we do have fazeley canal and glenys did mention working on the boats

WARRG10_3107_3110-0649.jpg

Last edited:
In 1860 there was a Cotton Street near Fazeley Street.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240125_073710_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240125_073710_Chrome.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 4
And from Warwick Bar Conservation area documents it says Cotton Street was laid out in 1788

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240125_074738_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240125_074738_Samsung Notes.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 6
thanks viv so that confirms cotton st...

i wonder if someone could take a look in the newspaper archives for a report of how edward broadbent came about his tragic boat accident... reading glenys post 124 this would have taken place around sept 1861

thanks

A horrible accident Lyn. The report appeared in a number of newspapers around the country. He left 8 children, so very sad and there was another fatality and injuries. Following the verdict, it was recommended that the company should sink more ventilation shafts.

Source : British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240125_081503_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240125_081503_Chrome.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20240125_082424_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240125_082424_Chrome.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
A horrible accident Lyn. The report appeared in a number of newspapers around the country. He left 8 children, so very sad and there was another fatality and injuries. Following the verdict, it was recommended that the company should sink more ventilation shafts.

Source : British Newspaper Archive
dreadful accident viv..and edwards wife had only given birth to their last child a few days before this happened..how on earth did she manage to keep herself and 8 chiidren..one can only hope that the company edward worked for helped her and her children

lyn

great info by all...lets hope glenys logs back on to see what we have found out...glenys all the info provided starts on post 125

lyn

Back