• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lost my best mate.

Smudger

master brummie
I lost my best mate last night. My lovely 14 year old Westie, Hamish. He died on the floor with me cradling his head. I`m not ashamed to say i cried a bucketful of tears at his passing. This morning i took him to a pet crematorium & when i get his ashes i shall scatter them at his favourite beach. I hope no-one minds me posting this, i just feel it`s good to say how one feels when you love someone who`s been your best mate for so long.

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
I think we all know how you feel, most of us have suffered the loss of beloved pet, he must have been well looked after or he wouldn't have a lived to a great age, he must have been happy too. take care my brother .
Jim...

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Smudger,

Of course we don't mind, Smudger. Please accept my condolences. It's just one of the many reasons why Jan & I wouldn't have pets, not even goldfish, when we moved to Crete. And this is not really a pet-friendly country. There's hardly a week goes by when fireworks are not going off somewhere in the village, and they are not the phut-phut UK style ones. You have to consider the welfare of the animals too.

Maurice

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
We have had Westies for years. Had one that lived 16 yrs, We have one now Paisley, that can hardly walk, she was a rescue dog, now around 14 yrs old, hate to have her put to sleep, but she is in pain we know. Westies are great dogs nothing like them. Will be looking for another that's for sure. They are very independent and like one of the family, like you, we will be devastated

Attachments

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your pet, it is as you say quit devastating. We grow strong bods with pets, being a dog owner, its easy to see how.

They are always pleased to greet you and will always treat you as a friend.

Radiorails

master brummie
Hard to bear Smudger my sincere sympathies. A lot of us here have been in your position a few times. All our pets, including the dogs, are buried here in the back garden All told there are nine dogs, three or four cats and two hamsters. A cockatiel is in the wooded area in the front garden.

Jeannie

master brummie
I lost my best mate last night. My lovely 14 year old Westie, Hamish. He died on the floor with me cradling his head. I`m not ashamed to say i cried a bucketful of tears at his passing. This morning i took him to a pet crematorium & when i get his ashes i shall scatter them at his favourite beach. I hope no-one minds me posting this, i just feel it`s good to say how one feels when you love someone who`s been your best mate for so long.
Sad for you, ,your best pal has been with you for so long,they don’t grow up and go to school ,leave home,they are with you always, .remember the good times if you can at such a sad time

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
so sorry to hear you have lost hamish smudger...we have lost many pets over the years the latest was last year which was one of our cats aged 18...please take comfort knowing you gave him a loving home for so long...no more can be asked than that...

take care

lyn x

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am sure we all agree with these sentiments. I certainly do, having in the past lost two Yorkies. I am moving this to the condolences section, where I think it best fits.

farmerdave

master brummie
Hi Smudger. Very sorry to hear of your sad loss. Hope that sharing your thoughts with your friends on the Forum alleviates your loss to some extent. Best wishes. Dave.

A Sparks

master brummie
Very sorry you've lost your pal :-(

I know how you feel, it's heartbreaking when you loose a dog that's been part of the family. I still remember all of our dogs, they all have their different personalities.

I am sure he had a good life with you and 14 is a good age to reach.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Felt exactly the same Smudger each time we’ve lost our dogs. They’re a big part of the family and it’s desperately sad when they have to leave us. Each time we’ve said never again. But time heals and another 4 legged friend joins the family. Take care Smudger. Viv.

maypolebaz

master brummie
I found myself filling up reading this Smudge. Our Westie was 17 but his quality of life became so poor we had to have him put to sleep. We've decided not to have any more dogs, they become part of the family and when they go it's an actual bereavement.
Coincidentally, our Westie was called Hamish too.

Johnbell

master brummie
My sympathies Smudger, been there many times. Had many working dogs and pets over the years and it always crushes you.
My wife couldnt do it anymore and made the unilateral decision we would have no more animals.
Now got a new wife and a young labrador x crocodile, Taliban Bob. We have no pot plants left in the garden and some shoes have disappeared, but he is red hot on scorpions, snakes, and is a self appointed bodyguard and fried chicken quality controller here in Thailand.
Get another pup.

Mike Bond

master brummie
Very bad news Smudger.
A friendship with a dog is a special thing and it's one that you can never fully have with a human being. Cat;s can be loving but it always seems to be on their terms. A dog will never tell you lies , stab you in the back, deceive you or climb over you to get what they want. A dog's friendship is open and total which is why I think it is so painful when it comes to an end. Don't dwell on your loss but concentrate on that special friendship you had with Hamish. Best wishes, Mike.