• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lost Lidos

Hi all,
I've added info to my Malvern Park Lido page - https://www.soyouwantto.co.uk/malvernpark.html please continue on to comment if you have memories or anything to add.
Also of course here !
One day I shall be turning my website into a book! To me, nothing beats taking one off the shelf , curling up-and... enjoy.

I'll be adding Greswolde Lido possibly today and Shirley Lido this week.

Thank you everyone. Anne

Re: From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

I had a mate in Cambridge who bought an old 1949 Council house he had a downstairs toilet, but bathroom upstairs. Funny,!!!Paul

Can someone tell me where the Open air swimming pool was in Small Heath around 1930's. Was it in Small Heath park ? Are there any other photos of it ?

When my father got married in 1935 the men went for a swim in the afternoon (Well said dad, it was something to do !) I think this might have been taken on that day and it certainly looks to be outdoors.
He was living at 91 Greenway Street and the woman were left there to organise the wedding tea.

Attachments

• Me joe at pool.jpg
    Me joe at pool.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lily

Small Heath Lido was on the Tennyson Road side of Victoria Park (Small Heath Park) it opened in 1883 but closed in 1938 because it did not come up to new public health standards that were introduced at that time. In 1955 a children's paddling pool was build on the site of the former lido.

Attachments

• Small Heath Small Heath Park Lido.jpg
    Small Heath Small Heath Park Lido.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Small Heath Smal Heath Park Paddling Pool.jpg
    Small Heath Smal Heath Park Paddling Pool.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 44
According to earlier posts, the Bournville Lido at Rowheath was demolished. This was it at its re-opening in 1943 under the Holidays at Home scheme. Viv.

CFD840E1-A875-4F96-88FA-F690050225A5.jpeg0E100407-1116-4DA0-894F-8AE92D4E66A6.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

I know this is an old chanel, but does anyone have any information on the pool that used to be off near Turfpits Lane? In the area where Dovedale is now. On the maps since the 1800s it disappears at some point in the 1930s to 1940s, guessing when the build Perry Common.

I remember going there in the late 50’s, I didn’t remember it being quite that nice.
Hi Richard,
The old lido was closed and a new one was built a few years ago. It is clean, but with shallow water for children to swim and play rather than adult swimming lengths. The brine baths have been removed as they needed extensive repair. Derek

Hi Richard,
The old lido was closed and a new one was built a few years ago. It is clean, but with shallow water for children to swim and play rather than adult swimming lengths. The brine baths have been removed as they needed extensive repair. Derek
Thank you Derek! I do remember that the shallow end was like the sea shore getting deeper as you went further in. As a teenager I though it was a waste of good space, little did I realize :)

Hi Richard,
One happy note is that Lido park was planted as an arboretum, so there are many unusual trees there.

Yes, time moves on, but our childhood memories are still precious, my memories date from the mid late 50's!!
Your memories are appreciated. I didn't move to the area until about 27 years ago from Birmingham. The lido is open for cold water swimming, but you have to book two days in advance. I think this is to manage the crowds on hot days. I'm a child of the mid-50s so it is interesting to see how places change. At least Droitwich isn't a lost lido.

I know this is an old chanel, but does anyone have any information on the pool that used to be off near Turfpits Lane? In the area where Dovedale is now. On the maps since the 1800s it disappears at some point in the 1930s to 1940s, guessing when the build Perry Common.
My dad told me of a swimming pool by the Hawthorn Brook near Dovedale Road that he swam in in the late 30’s.

Swimming Bath.JPG

Back