• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lost Birmingham Pubs

wow stratford bitter
iu
:grinning:

Greetings All,

Searching the internet I see today is a "Malt Shovel" standing today on Newton Rd, Great Barr, Birmingham https://www.stonehouserestaurants.c...ce=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb
I'm wondering if it is the same location as that of my ancestor Charles Newey. Has anyone been to this pub? By chance do you know the history? Does anyone here have any information and/or anecdotes that they could provide?
Looking at old maps it seems the location is the same or at least very close. c1886
1636727509470.png

Modern map - I used the canal on the right as a guide.
1636727586700.png

Looking at old maps it seems the location is the same or at least very close. c1886
View attachment 163770

Modern map - I used the canal on the right as a guide.
View attachment 163771
Wonderful! Thank you for taking the time to search for, and pull up, the map(s) in such a useful format! This is so helpful, as it helps put together other pieces of the family puzzle. On the old map I see the "Peartree Farm" immediately to northwest of the "Malt Shovel". The 1861 census lists residents of the "Pear Tree Farm", which include my 3rd great grandfather Charles Newey and his family. "Charles Newey" (43) is listed as "Mast(er)? Maltster" on the farm and not the Inn. His son, my 2nd great grandfather "William" (16), is listed as "Maltster's Son". Had not noticed this before, but on the 1861 census a "William Emery" is listed as proprietor and "Publican" of the Malt Shovel Inn. It turns out Charles Newey is married to Ann (Emery) Newey, daughter of William Emery and wife Catherine. I was not previously aware of the relationship and proximity of the families. The article I posted previously indicates that, by 1863, Charles and his wife Ann (Emery) were proprietors of the Malt Shovel, perhaps to their dismay given the unfortunate shooting incident. William Henry later comes to the US and begins a career as a Methodist Minister, perhaps as a result of observing, and participating? in, the bar room antics. More than you wanted to know, but immensely helpful to me in assembling the puzzle. Thank you again!

my fave watering holes were the Golden Eagle - a rough bikers pub at top of new street - bulldozed down and became extension to post office. Also Bogarts on New Street and Costermongers near Brum market at back of tescos near oasis - well thats where they were if I remember correctly back to 1980s. I also remember when Tesco was the Beehive. Oh gosh I'm getting old:cry:
I used to hang out in the Golden Eagle 1979 ish. So many memories - I was 16 and when the police came in on a Saturday lunchtime we'd hide in the ladies till they'd gone. Also went to Bogarts upstairs -those purple fittings and disco ball lights - felt so sophisticated! had no money but went there and hung about with some bikers - Loz, and some others from Dudley area.

I used to hang out in the Golden Eagle 1979 ish. So many memories - I was 16 and when the police came in on a Saturday lunchtime we'd hide in the ladies till they'd gone. Also went to Bogarts upstairs -those purple fittings and disco ball lights - felt so sophisticated! had no money but went there and hung about with some bikers - Loz, and some others from Dudley area.
anj63, welcome to the Forum, great place and folks! Enjoy

Wonderful! Thank you for taking the time to search for, and pull up, the map(s) in such a useful format! This is so helpful, as it helps put together other pieces of the family puzzle. On the old map I see the "Peartree Farm" immediately to northwest of the "Malt Shovel". The 1861 census lists residents of the "Pear Tree Farm", which include my 3rd great grandfather Charles Newey and his family. "Charles Newey" (43) is listed as "Mast(er)? Maltster" on the farm and not the Inn. His son, my 2nd great grandfather "William" (16), is listed as "Maltster's Son". Had not noticed this before, but on the 1861 census a "William Emery" is listed as proprietor and "Publican" of the Malt Shovel Inn. It turns out Charles Newey is married to Ann (Emery) Newey, daughter of William Emery and wife Catherine. I was not previously aware of the relationship and proximity of the families. The article I posted previously indicates that, by 1863, Charles and his wife Ann (Emery) were proprietors of the Malt Shovel, perhaps to their dismay given the unfortunate shooting incident. William Henry later comes to the US and begins a career as a Methodist Minister, perhaps as a result of observing, and participating? in, the bar room antics. More than you wanted to know, but immensely helpful to me in assembling the puzzle. Thank you again!
Not sure if this is of interest to you but We had our wedding reception the Malt Shovel on Newton Road in 1964. It was a nice clean place with a friendly trusting landlord. We left for our honeymoon and had not paid for the reception but we called back a week later and paid up. I asked him about his bill and he said that he knew we would be back to settle up. That would not happen these days. I think that there is a new one built on the same site now.

Would anyone know what pub stood on the site of the Hall of Memory prior to it being erected

This is the pub in question

Attachments

• 2400A644-B5A3-4118-9461-C605963D3E5A.jpeg
    2400A644-B5A3-4118-9461-C605963D3E5A.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 46
Grea, Joseph McKenna's book 'Central Birmingham Pubs Vol II' gives the first pub on the north side at 4-5 Broad Street as The Royal Oak. He says it;s a little beerhouse with its yard backing onto the canal which once stood there. I've actually seen this picture before but can't find it today. I would have thought your pub too big to be a 'little beerhouse' and surely it would have been No. 1. I'll keep looking.

Thanks everyone. Apparently it’s not a pub, it’s a chemical apparatus company.

Attachments

• 6E6D8D8A-720D-495B-84B0-078B525751F4.jpeg
    6E6D8D8A-720D-495B-84B0-078B525751F4.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 4
Hi everyone, I'm new on here, so forgive me if I'm doing this wrong:
My relative James Abert Gough b1871- d1919 was Publican/Inn Keeper of at least 3 pubs in Brum in his relatively short life, ie:
"The Bridge Tavern" 18 Hunters Road, Hockley ca. +/- 1898.
"The Black Horse" 51 Price Street, Aston ca. +/- 1911.
"The Vulcan" Barn Street, Deritend ca. +/- 1915.
Has anyone a photograph of any of these old pubs, or anything written about James Alberts Gough's time at any of them please.
Many thanks
John

Back