• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lost Birmingham Pubs

Thanks A Sparks but I don't think that's the one that Zoe T mentions as she says it's between Birmingham and Sutton on the main road at Wylde Green. Going from the Yenton pub, I can only think of the (now gone) Wylde Green on the left hand side before you get to the Horse & Jockey. Puzzling!

Richard, can you tell me where this pub was please? I can't remember it but it may have gone some time ago. Thank you.
Lady P, it’s been so long but I will try. This pub is actually the newer one on believe near Slate or Chester Rds. I had a a friend who lived in Streetly and another in Sutton Coldfield and we frequented there on many weekends. Hope that helps!

Thanks Richard, so the original address was wrong. It's the other side of Sutton to Birmingham. Thought I didn't know it and it's certainly not Wylde Green from your description.

This is a really lost pub because I can't find any information on it anywhere. It looks like it was a Mitchells & Butlers pub called the Hotel Victoria Cross and was on the corner of Gower St & William St, Lozells. It shows as P.H on a 1891 map and also a 1917 map but it's not mentioned on a 1937 map. Any info on this pub would be much appreciated.

Hotel Victoria Cross.jpggower_street_from William St3.jpg

Last edited:
hi barry never heard of this one...have you got a fuller photo or just the bit you posted

lyn

thanks barry i think i may have posted this one some time ago...i know there was another pub in william st but maybe someone could check the kellys for this one

lyn

Just found this photo of Hotel Victoria Cross on the Birmingham Forum which was posted by our late friend Phil in Oct 2014. This view along William St looks like it was taken early 70s.
Royal Victoria Cross William Street Lozells.jpg

Last edited:
hi barry yes that is one of the many photos of william st i posted on the william st thread..its taken july 1967

Strangely there is no mention in the newspaper archives, though plenty of a hotel of the same name in Cork, Ireland

my fave watering holes were the Golden Eagle - a rough bikers pub at top of new street - bulldozed down and became extension to post office. Also Bogarts on New Street and Costermongers near Brum market at back of tescos near oasis - well thats where they were if I remember correctly back to 1980s. I also remember when Tesco was the Beehive. Oh gosh I'm getting old:cry:
Hiya, very new to this but spotted your post. The Golden Eagle was spot on. If my memory serves me right I think there was a "disco" there called the Shoop. But I will stand corrected if wrong. Another one chipping away at the fading memory is I am not sure if Queen didn't do bit at Bogart's. Worth a look see. Cheers, GT

The earliest map I can find of Wylde Green is 1889. The only pub seems to be the Wylde Green Hotel.

However on the 1861 census William King is listed as Publican on Sutton Road, Wylde Green (doesn't say Plough & Harrow) but there is a newspaper report of the death of his wife, Eliza in 1860 at the Plough & Harrow.

Willian Green is listed between The Oaklands and Wylde Green House on the 1861 census both of which are on this map...

View attachment 154361

The Wylde Green Hotel is on the opposite side of the road to The Oaklands. If this is the renamed Plough & Harrow or a different pub I don't know.
I think the Wylde Wylde Green is about to be developed, it will no longer be a pub?

Greetings All,

I am a new arrival to the forum. I live in the US (Colorado) and have ancestors that came from the Birmingham/Wolverhampton area. I hope you don't mind me intruding on the discussion here.

Doing recent genealogy work I've stumbled across an ancestor - my 3rd Great Grandfather, Charles Newey (1818-1874) - who was "maltster" and "Publican" at an establishment named "The Malt Shovel Inn" located at "Newton, Great Barr, Birmingham". Based on census records, Richard and his family operated this establishment roughly between 1841 and 1871.

The Malt Shovel Inn seems to have attracted a number of undesirable clients, including a couple of rowdies that were shot by my ancestor while threatening to murder he and his wife in 1863 (please see attached article).

Searching the internet I see today is a "Malt Shovel" standing today on Newton Rd, Great Barr, Birmingham https://www.stonehouserestaurants.c...ce=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb
I'm wondering if it is the same location as that of my ancestor Charles Newey. Has anyone been to this pub? By chance do you know the history? Does anyone here have any information and/or anecdotes that they could provide?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers from the US,

Z

P.S. I prefer cold IPAs to ales and stouts at room temperature, but if you twist my arm...

Attachments

• Birmingham Daily Post 13_Oct_1863.png
    Birmingham Daily Post 13_Oct_1863.png
    2 MB · Views: 8
Greetings All,

I am a new arrival to the forum. I live in the US (Colorado) and have ancestors that came from the Birmingham/Wolverhampton area. I hope you don't mind me intruding on the discussion here.

Doing recent genealogy work I've stumbled across an ancestor - my 3rd Great Grandfather, Charles Newey (1818-1874) - who was "maltster" and "Publican" at an establishment named "The Malt Shovel Inn" located at "Newton, Great Barr, Birmingham". Based on census records, Richard and his family operated this establishment roughly between 1841 and 1871.

The Malt Shovel Inn seems to have attracted a number of undesirable clients, including a couple of rowdies that were shot by my ancestor while threatening to murder he and his wife in 1863 (please see attached article).

Searching the internet I see today is a "Malt Shovel" standing today on Newton Rd, Great Barr, Birmingham https://www.stonehouserestaurants.c...ce=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb
I'm wondering if it is the same location as that of my ancestor Charles Newey. Has anyone been to this pub? By chance do you know the history? Does anyone here have any information and/or anecdotes that they could provide?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers from the US,

Z

P.S. I prefer cold IPAs to ales and stouts at room temperature, but if you twist my arm...
Welcome to the Forum. My passion is Sweetwater IPA, I used to work with Dick Yuengling so I’m a fan. Although occasionally I can get Flowers Keg bitter albeit in a bottle!
Enjoy!

Back