• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lost Birmingham Pubs

A little further afield in Cradley but my 3xgreat grandfather was a brewer and one time publican who seems to be associated with The Vine (long gone) in Park Row. Possibly his mother in law (my 4xg grandmother) was as well, there seems to be a newspaper article from 1834.

Question is were there no restrictions on what a pub could be called? I think I've found 3 pubs all called The Vine operating at the same time with barely a mile between them - Park Row, Colley Gate and Lyde Green.

Would seem quite easy to get confused especially if already a little worse for wear.

No restrictions. Sometimes , if very close then one might have "new" added to the title. {it has been known for the original to disappear and later another appear, so the "New" XXX is actually older than the XXX

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Hello all, I've a newspaper advert from 1855 for the Plough and Harrow Wild Green [sic]. Can anyone point me to where this pub was in Wylde Green / whether it is an existing building/pub with a different name. The ad describes the Plough and Harrow being on the main road from Birmingham to Sutton. Thank you.

It ain't the wrapping,it's the content that matters. Why care what a pub is called it's the tasty ale inside that counts.:yum:yum:D;)

NoddKD. Not an alcoholic,yet:innocent:

Hello all, I've a newspaper advert from 1855 for the Plough and Harrow Wild Green [sic]. Can anyone point me to where this pub was in Wylde Green / whether it is an existing building/pub with a different name. The ad describes the Plough and Harrow being on the main road from Birmingham to Sutton. Thank you.

The earliest map I can find of Wylde Green is 1889. The only pub seems to be the Wylde Green Hotel.

However on the 1861 census William King is listed as Publican on Sutton Road, Wylde Green (doesn't say Plough & Harrow) but there is a newspaper report of the death of his wife, Eliza in 1860 at the Plough & Harrow.

Willian Green is listed between The Oaklands and Wylde Green House on the 1861 census both of which are on this map...

Wylde Green.jpg

The Wylde Green Hotel is on the opposite side of the road to The Oaklands. If this is the renamed Plough & Harrow or a different pub I don't know.

The 1868 Warwickshire Kellys lists William King as the landlord of the Plough & Harrow, so it looks like it is the same as the Wylde Green Hotel

The earliest map I can find of Wylde Green is 1889. The only pub seems to be the Wylde Green Hotel.

However on the 1861 census William King is listed as Publican on Sutton Road, Wylde Green (doesn't say Plough & Harrow) but there is a newspaper report of the death of his wife, Eliza in 1860 at the Plough & Harrow.

Willian Green is listed between The Oaklands and Wylde Green House on the 1861 census both of which are on this map...

View attachment 154361

The Wylde Green Hotel is on the opposite side of the road to The Oaklands. If this is the renamed Plough & Harrow or a different pub I don't know.
Thank you for your detective work!

View attachment 154361

Thank you too - so great to be able to piece things together with your help.

Hi Dave89 did you know the actor Tony Britton was born in a room over The Trocadero Pub . Raz .
Hi Raz,
No, I didn't, that's interesting - many thanks. Incidentally just re-reading my post, I didn't
mean that the other 2 didn't serve a great pint, just that I didn't drink in them!

Kind regards
Dave

This is a list of pubs around the Bull Ring and the licencees.

GRAND TURQ, 34 Bell Street corner of Lease Lane.
Manager;T.F. Fletcher 1924 T.P. Collier. 1944

BLACK SWAN HOTEL, 5, Bromsgrove Street.
Manager; Mrs E.B. Evans.1924 N.F. McCoy. 1944

AUSTRALIAN BAR. 48 Bromsgrove Street.
Not there in 1924 Jn. Rickerby 1944

NEW INN HOTEL.191-192 .Bromsgrove Street.
Manager; H.L. Jeacock 1924 A. Clemm. 1944

CASTLE & FALCON. 109 Digbeth.
Manager; A. Russell 1924 W.J.T. Wiley 1944

WAGON & HORSES. 14 Edgbaston Street.
Manager; R. Barlow 1924 Closed Down 1944

THE COMET 5 High Street.
Manager; W.E. Nelson 1924 Closed Down 1944

LION & LAMB. 17 High Street.
Manager;W. Brown 1924 Closed Down 1944

BROOK'S VAULT. 51 Jamaica Row (it was originally known as THE CITERION)
Manager; F. Holliday 1924 F. Brown 1944

PLOUGH & HARROW. 81 Jamaica Row..
Manager; S.R. Fisher 1924 F.W. Doran 1944

WOOLPACK HOTEL. 8-9 Moor Street.
Manager; F.W. Butler 1924 J. Blower 1944

SWAN HOTEL. 148 New Street.
Manager; Mrs A. Butler 1924 Closed Down 1944

PHOENIX HOTEL. 3 Park Street. (it was originally known as OLD PHOENIX INN)
Manager; P.Vincent-Bennett 1924 E. Freeman 1944.

THE BOARD INN. 7 Phillips Street.
Manager; Mrs L. Lord. 1924 A. Garnett 1944

SPREAD EAGLE. 14 Spiceal Street.
Manager; Samuel Rich 1924 Closed Down 1944

STEVENS BAR 149 New Street and 89 High Street,top of the Bull Ring aera. Closed, for trading after permitted hours on the 25th March 1958, upon expiration of lease.
Manager; R.E. East 1924 W.E. Allport. 1944 (an M&B House).

SMITHFIELD ARMS 47 Jamaica Row.
Manager; George Ameghino 1924 Mrs D.E. Caldicott 1944
(an Ansells House)

CROSS KEYS 91 Jamaica Row, corner of Sherlock Street.
Manager:G.J. Bunn 1924 J.W. Jesson 1944 (an Ansells House)

ST.MARTIN'S HOTEL corner of St.Martin's Lane & Jamaica Street.
Manager;C.H. Mitchell 1924 E.C. Cox 1944
( M & B Hotel,very popular. It closed in 1944)

BOARD VAULTS;56 Worcester Street, corner of Bell Street
Manager;F.R. Andrews 1924 A.Summerfield 1944
(an Ansells House)

BIRMINGHAM ARMS: 1 Moet Row.
Manager; L.A. Chantrill 1924 Mrs Emily Stokes 1944.
(an M&B House)

the TALBOT: 24 Moat Lane
Manager: Ted Lippey 1924 T.W. Gibson 1944

:)
The above was extracted f.rom a book by Victor J. Price
"The Bull Ring Remembered"
Are the any pictures,or information on " the kings head" pub,at 67 Allison street,Birmingham,I think it was demolished about 1906/7.

Hello Zoe, just catching up on this thread but I loved the Plough & Harrow particularly the beer :)

Back