• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lost Birmingham Pubs

Hi Williamstreeter i use to go to these pubs from 68 to 72 not so much the Top 10 Bar but manly The Grapes on a Friday night and then over to Rebeccas to dance the night away . Good Times Raz

was the grapes just a little way down from new st station...i also remember the gilded cage

lyn

thanks john i dont think the grapes is there now but i went in quite a few times...gilded cage had a female dancer in a cage...happy days

lyn

This is a list of pubs around the Bull Ring and the licencees.

GRAND TURQ, 34 Bell Street corner of Lease Lane.
Manager;T.F. Fletcher 1924 T.P. Collier. 1944

BLACK SWAN HOTEL, 5, Bromsgrove Street.
Manager; Mrs E.B. Evans.1924 N.F. McCoy. 1944

AUSTRALIAN BAR. 48 Bromsgrove Street.
Not there in 1924 Jn. Rickerby 1944

NEW INN HOTEL.191-192 .Bromsgrove Street.
Manager; H.L. Jeacock 1924 A. Clemm. 1944

CASTLE & FALCON. 109 Digbeth.
Manager; A. Russell 1924 W.J.T. Wiley 1944

WAGON & HORSES. 14 Edgbaston Street.
Manager; R. Barlow 1924 Closed Down 1944

THE COMET 5 High Street.
Manager; W.E. Nelson 1924 Closed Down 1944

LION & LAMB. 17 High Street.
Manager;W. Brown 1924 Closed Down 1944

BROOK'S VAULT. 51 Jamaica Row (it was originally known as THE CITERION)
Manager; F. Holliday 1924 F. Brown 1944

PLOUGH & HARROW. 81 Jamaica Row..
Manager; S.R. Fisher 1924 F.W. Doran 1944

WOOLPACK HOTEL. 8-9 Moor Street.
Manager; F.W. Butler 1924 J. Blower 1944

SWAN HOTEL. 148 New Street.
Manager; Mrs A. Butler 1924 Closed Down 1944

PHOENIX HOTEL. 3 Park Street. (it was originally known as OLD PHOENIX INN)
Manager; P.Vincent-Bennett 1924 E. Freeman 1944.

THE BOARD INN. 7 Phillips Street.
Manager; Mrs L. Lord. 1924 A. Garnett 1944

SPREAD EAGLE. 14 Spiceal Street.
Manager; Samuel Rich 1924 Closed Down 1944

STEVENS BAR 149 New Street and 89 High Street,top of the Bull Ring aera. Closed, for trading after permitted hours on the 25th March 1958, upon expiration of lease.
Manager; R.E. East 1924 W.E. Allport. 1944 (an M&B House).

SMITHFIELD ARMS 47 Jamaica Row.
Manager; George Ameghino 1924 Mrs D.E. Caldicott 1944
(an Ansells House)

CROSS KEYS 91 Jamaica Row, corner of Sherlock Street.
Manager:G.J. Bunn 1924 J.W. Jesson 1944 (an Ansells House)

ST.MARTIN'S HOTEL corner of St.Martin's Lane & Jamaica Street.
Manager;C.H. Mitchell 1924 E.C. Cox 1944
( M & B Hotel,very popular. It closed in 1944)

BOARD VAULTS;56 Worcester Street, corner of Bell Street
Manager;F.R. Andrews 1924 A.Summerfield 1944
(an Ansells House)

BIRMINGHAM ARMS: 1 Moet Row.
Manager; L.A. Chantrill 1924 Mrs Emily Stokes 1944.
(an M&B House)

the TALBOT: 24 Moat Lane
Manager: Ted Lippey 1924 T.W. Gibson 1944

:)
The above was extracted f.rom a book by Victor J. Price
"The Bull Ring Remembered"
My Father (Peter Howell) was one of the if not the last landlord of the Birmingham Arms in Moat Row This was for a period of time beginning late 1969 or early 1970 (I was at Uni at the time) The family lived on the top floor and I only stayed there on the odd occasion during the holidays. All my brothers grew up there and one or two still have their Brummy accents. It was the first job my father undertook after retiring from the RAF and being ex military he ran a pretty tight ship and clamped down hard on any trouble makers. They had a weekly jazz night in the first floor club room 'The Salutation Stomp' and I got hear some amazing musicians. My mum also worked behind the bar and was at the time going through a platinum blonde phase. The picture below shows my parents as they looked at the time along with one of my brothers and the pub's guard dog which was a Rhodesian Ridgeback called Simba. They later went on to run the Springvale Tavern in Willenhall which was all boarded up when I last drove past about 11 years ago like so many pubs today.

Attachments

• Trefor-Elsie-Peter-and-Simba.jpg
    Trefor-Elsie-Peter-and-Simba.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Springvale Tavern.jpg
    Springvale Tavern.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC00222.JPG
    DSC00222.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
Does anyone know what the pub was called in Shadwell Street Birmingham, it was just along from St. Chad's Boys School.
When I knew it it had been turned into a house. My friends grandma lived there. I think it was double fronted and an entry in the middle. On one side you went into the house and on the other side went down to the cellar, where we used to play. (1940's)
I seem to remember that it had been white washed and there was a light in there.

below is a thread for shadwell st with photos

I believe that the area was known as St. Mary's. Bath Street address was known as St. Mary's Birmingham 4.
Shadwell Street Little Shadwell Street and Shadwell Street were next to Bath Street. The district was Ladywood.

Does anyone remember The Greyhound in Holloway Head.
It was a Cider House, I talking rough cider which you drank through your teeth.
It was a strong brew and they used to keep a Shillelagh behind the bar for those people who didn't know when to leave when they'd had enough !
Is it still there ?
It must be more than 50 years ago when I drank cider in the Greyhound. It was usually with black currant.

Certainly made your head swim. A bit like these hearts drifting around today.

My earliest pub memory is the Brighton on Coventry Road. My Mum and Dad used to drink there and would take me round to the garden. We lived on Grange Road by the cinema.

my fave watering holes were the Golden Eagle - a rough bikers pub at top of new street - bulldozed down and became extension to post office. Also Bogarts on New Street and Costermongers near Brum market at back of tescos near oasis - well thats where they were if I remember correctly back to 1980s. I also remember when Tesco was the Beehive. Oh gosh I'm getting old:cry:
the eagle is where i first knew my husband my sister worked there as a barmaid this was in the sixties , the manager was the late ray scott and his wife betty ray passed away in 2002 betty passed away 6 mths ago

The pubs I remembered as a child was The Gunmakers Arms affectionately known as the Guns. which was opposite the yard where I lived, in Bath Street. Saturday nights we children used to sit on the step at the bottom of the yard and watch the fights outside, we were never frightened as the men never bothered with us or shouted at us. My mom used to be a cleaner there. The other pub was the Bull on the corner of Price Street and Loveday Street. In those days children were not allowed inside pubs and used to sit outside whilst their parents were drinking, if they were lucky they had a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps. Opposite the pub was waste ground which was known as the bombed peck. One bonfire night all of the regulars from the Gunmakers arms came out to join our bonfire (which was being supervised by my uncle) he had dug a trench around it to keep us all safe and he had fireworks
sealed in a tin. We were all given a potato to hold, to stop us getting burned when we held a sparkler. ( something I always did with my children and grandchildren.). We had great fun that night, the men from the pub, bought us all bottles of pop and bags of crisps and joined in with us. Potatoes were put in the hot embers and the men were all laughing as they tried to retrieve them. The mums provide cocoa and toffee apples on sticks. The bonfire was so big that it was blazing away and the fire engine had to come and put it out. Such excitement. A night to remember.

Back