• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lost Birmingham Pubs

What about the 'Hungry Man' pub in Broad Street, it was virtually opposite Gas Street. Gone now of course, but I do remember underage drinking there, on a Saturday night, in the early 60's with school friends, Fred Hill, Bunny Shepherd, a lad named Leo and myself ( I was called Dill aka. Dave Illingworth). We would have a couple of 1/2 pints of Lager & lime, Bunny had Blackcurrant instead of lime, then we would head up to Five Ways to the Sicilia Coffee Bar.

Wasn't that the Tavern in the Town which was bombed along with the Mulberry Bush? I know that was downstairs on New Street.

Hi Janice,no Jimmys was over the old traffic lights past the bank there was a passage with Watches of Switzerland on the corner and about 20 yards up New St was this great little bar down some stairs.My Brother,Myself and a couple of others called in there after we had been to the big band shows at the Town Hall in the Mid 50s to see Ted Heath Jonny Dankworth and others.It had a great atmosphere.

It wasnt that big really .Thats why it was nice to have a quiet drink there .Probably got about 40-50 people in there at the very most of the better type as my brother used to say:yum:yum

My G grandad was a publican in Birmingham, 26 Canal st I was led to believe this was The Malt shovel, does any know if this is right and are there any pics

No 26 was a pub called the Malt shovel, as it is named as such on the 1871 census. It disappears from Kellys directory in the 1884 edition (which refers to 1884), and there is a notice of the sale of the brewing equipment in December 1883

Birm post.  14.12 1883 malt shovel new canal st.jpg

I'm still hoping for a picture of the Lord Nelson in Thorp Street, opposite the Barracks. My Nan was born there in 1900 and other ancestors were living there prior to that.
rosie.

my fave watering holes were the Golden Eagle - a rough bikers pub at top of new street - bulldozed down and became extension to post office. Also Bogarts on New Street and Costermongers near Brum market at back of tescos near oasis - well thats where they were if I remember correctly back to 1980s. I also remember when Tesco was the Beehive. Oh gosh I'm getting old:cry:
I to remember the Beehive. I remember going to see Father Chritmas There.

Does anyone remember The Greyhound in Holloway Head.
It was a Cider House, I talking rough cider which you drank through your teeth.
It was a strong brew and they used to keep a Shillelagh behind the bar for those people who didn't know when to leave when they'd had enough !
Is it still there ?

Does anyone remember The Greyhound in Holloway Head.
It was a Cider House, I talking rough cider which you drank through your teeth.
It was a strong brew and they used to keep a Shillelagh behind the bar for those people who didn't know when to leave when they'd had enough !
Is it still there ?

Thank you so much Mikejee for your immediate and fascinating information. I never knew that the temperance society were active and able to influence the local authorities to close pubs! Much appreciated, Mark

I to remember the Beehive. I remember going to see Father Chritmas There.
Hi Lindym for me it was the Fillibuster in the late 60s it was around the corner from West Midlands Police Headquarters it was brill ,it had 2 floors i think it was done out in a hawaien theme , i couldn't wait to go there on a Friday night i was still an apprentice then didn't have a lot of money but enjoyed myself . Good Days Raz X

I admit to having a few drinks in Yates in the late 1950s, but that was when I was in my experimental stage, trying out all sorts of shorts. I can't recollect drinking beer in there.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
I was always so impressed by Yates' magnificent Blob machine, though never tried the mixture that came out, as It would probbaly have made be ill

Back