• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lost Birmingham Pubs

Youngest Thorne

Brummie babby
my fave watering holes were the Golden Eagle - a rough bikers pub at top of new street - bulldozed down and became extension to post office. Also Bogarts on New Street and Costermongers near Brum market at back of tescos near oasis - well thats where they were if I remember correctly back to 1980s. I also remember when Tesco was the Beehive. Oh gosh I'm getting old:cry:
Hiya, very new to this but spotted your post. The Golden Eagle was spot on. If my memory serves me right I think there was a "disco" there called the Shoop. But I will stand corrected if wrong. Another one chipping away at the fading memory is I am not sure if Queen didn't do bit at Bogart's. Worth a look see. Cheers, GT

Jollyjack

master brummie
The earliest map I can find of Wylde Green is 1889. The only pub seems to be the Wylde Green Hotel.

However on the 1861 census William King is listed as Publican on Sutton Road, Wylde Green (doesn't say Plough & Harrow) but there is a newspaper report of the death of his wife, Eliza in 1860 at the Plough & Harrow.

Willian Green is listed between The Oaklands and Wylde Green House on the 1861 census both of which are on this map...

View attachment 154361

The Wylde Green Hotel is on the opposite side of the road to The Oaklands. If this is the renamed Plough & Harrow or a different pub I don't know.
I think the Wylde Wylde Green is about to be developed, it will no longer be a pub?

zjxn06

proper brummie kid
Greetings All,

I am a new arrival to the forum. I live in the US (Colorado) and have ancestors that came from the Birmingham/Wolverhampton area. I hope you don't mind me intruding on the discussion here.

Doing recent genealogy work I've stumbled across an ancestor - my 3rd Great Grandfather, Charles Newey (1818-1874) - who was "maltster" and "Publican" at an establishment named "The Malt Shovel Inn" located at "Newton, Great Barr, Birmingham". Based on census records, Richard and his family operated this establishment roughly between 1841 and 1871.

The Malt Shovel Inn seems to have attracted a number of undesirable clients, including a couple of rowdies that were shot by my ancestor while threatening to murder he and his wife in 1863 (please see attached article).

Searching the internet I see today is a "Malt Shovel" standing today on Newton Rd, Great Barr, Birmingham https://www.stonehouserestaurants.c...ce=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb
I'm wondering if it is the same location as that of my ancestor Charles Newey. Has anyone been to this pub? By chance do you know the history? Does anyone here have any information and/or anecdotes that they could provide?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers from the US,

Z

P.S. I prefer cold IPAs to ales and stouts at room temperature, but if you twist my arm...

Attachments

• Birmingham Daily Post 13_Oct_1863.png
    Birmingham Daily Post 13_Oct_1863.png
    2 MB · Views: 8

Richard Dye

master brummie
Greetings All,

I am a new arrival to the forum. I live in the US (Colorado) and have ancestors that came from the Birmingham/Wolverhampton area. I hope you don't mind me intruding on the discussion here.

Doing recent genealogy work I've stumbled across an ancestor - my 3rd Great Grandfather, Charles Newey (1818-1874) - who was "maltster" and "Publican" at an establishment named "The Malt Shovel Inn" located at "Newton, Great Barr, Birmingham". Based on census records, Richard and his family operated this establishment roughly between 1841 and 1871.

The Malt Shovel Inn seems to have attracted a number of undesirable clients, including a couple of rowdies that were shot by my ancestor while threatening to murder he and his wife in 1863 (please see attached article).

Searching the internet I see today is a "Malt Shovel" standing today on Newton Rd, Great Barr, Birmingham https://www.stonehouserestaurants.c...ce=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb
I'm wondering if it is the same location as that of my ancestor Charles Newey. Has anyone been to this pub? By chance do you know the history? Does anyone here have any information and/or anecdotes that they could provide?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers from the US,

Z

P.S. I prefer cold IPAs to ales and stouts at room temperature, but if you twist my arm...
Welcome to the Forum. My passion is Sweetwater IPA, I used to work with Dick Yuengling so I’m a fan. Although occasionally I can get Flowers Keg bitter albeit in a bottle!
Enjoy!

mw0njm.

Brummie dude
wow stratford bitter
iu
:grinning:

pjmburns

master brummie
Greetings All,

Looking at old maps it seems the location is the same or at least very close. c1886
1636727509470.png

Modern map - I used the canal on the right as a guide.
1636727586700.png

zjxn06

proper brummie kid
Looking at old maps it seems the location is the same or at least very close. c1886
View attachment 163770

Modern map - I used the canal on the right as a guide.
View attachment 163771
Wonderful! Thank you for taking the time to search for, and pull up, the map(s) in such a useful format! This is so helpful, as it helps put together other pieces of the family puzzle. On the old map I see the "Peartree Farm" immediately to northwest of the "Malt Shovel". The 1861 census lists residents of the "Pear Tree Farm", which include my 3rd great grandfather Charles Newey and his family. "Charles Newey" (43) is listed as "Mast(er)? Maltster" on the farm and not the Inn. His son, my 2nd great grandfather "William" (16), is listed as "Maltster's Son". Had not noticed this before, but on the 1861 census a "William Emery" is listed as proprietor and "Publican" of the Malt Shovel Inn. It turns out Charles Newey is married to Ann (Emery) Newey, daughter of William Emery and wife Catherine. I was not previously aware of the relationship and proximity of the families. The article I posted previously indicates that, by 1863, Charles and his wife Ann (Emery) were proprietors of the Malt Shovel, perhaps to their dismay given the unfortunate shooting incident. William Henry later comes to the US and begins a career as a Methodist Minister, perhaps as a result of observing, and participating? in, the bar room antics. More than you wanted to know, but immensely helpful to me in assembling the puzzle. Thank you again!

anj63

my fave watering holes were the Golden Eagle - a rough bikers pub at top of new street - bulldozed down and became extension to post office. Also Bogarts on New Street and Costermongers near Brum market at back of tescos near oasis - well thats where they were if I remember correctly back to 1980s. I also remember when Tesco was the Beehive. Oh gosh I'm getting old:cry:
I used to hang out in the Golden Eagle 1979 ish. So many memories - I was 16 and when the police came in on a Saturday lunchtime we'd hide in the ladies till they'd gone. Also went to Bogarts upstairs -those purple fittings and disco ball lights - felt so sophisticated! had no money but went there and hung about with some bikers - Loz, and some others from Dudley area.

Richard Dye

master brummie
I used to hang out in the Golden Eagle 1979 ish. So many memories - I was 16 and when the police came in on a Saturday lunchtime we'd hide in the ladies till they'd gone. Also went to Bogarts upstairs -those purple fittings and disco ball lights - felt so sophisticated! had no money but went there and hung about with some bikers - Loz, and some others from Dudley area.
anj63, welcome to the Forum, great place and folks! Enjoy

BigJohn

knowlegable brummie
Wonderful! Thank you for taking the time to search for, and pull up, the map(s) in such a useful format! This is so helpful, as it helps put together other pieces of the family puzzle. On the old map I see the "Peartree Farm" immediately to northwest of the "Malt Shovel". The 1861 census lists residents of the "Pear Tree Farm", which include my 3rd great grandfather Charles Newey and his family. "Charles Newey" (43) is listed as "Mast(er)? Maltster" on the farm and not the Inn. His son, my 2nd great grandfather "William" (16), is listed as "Maltster's Son". Had not noticed this before, but on the 1861 census a "William Emery" is listed as proprietor and "Publican" of the Malt Shovel Inn. It turns out Charles Newey is married to Ann (Emery) Newey, daughter of William Emery and wife Catherine. I was not previously aware of the relationship and proximity of the families. The article I posted previously indicates that, by 1863, Charles and his wife Ann (Emery) were proprietors of the Malt Shovel, perhaps to their dismay given the unfortunate shooting incident. William Henry later comes to the US and begins a career as a Methodist Minister, perhaps as a result of observing, and participating? in, the bar room antics. More than you wanted to know, but immensely helpful to me in assembling the puzzle. Thank you again!
Not sure if this is of interest to you but We had our wedding reception the Malt Shovel on Newton Road in 1964. It was a nice clean place with a friendly trusting landlord. We left for our honeymoon and had not paid for the reception but we called back a week later and paid up. I asked him about his bill and he said that he knew we would be back to settle up. That would not happen these days. I think that there is a new one built on the same site now.

Grea

master brummie
Would anyone know what pub stood on the site of the Hall of Memory prior to it being erected