• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lost Birmingham Pubs

chrissweep

master brummie
Does anyone remember The Greyhound in Holloway Head.
It was a Cider House, I talking rough cider which you drank through your teeth.
It was a strong brew and they used to keep a Shillelagh behind the bar for those people who didn't know when to leave when they'd had enough !
Is it still there ?

RobT

Acemeccanoman
Does anyone remember The Greyhound in Holloway Head.
It was a Cider House, I talking rough cider which you drank through your teeth.
It was a strong brew and they used to keep a Shillelagh behind the bar for those people who didn't know when to leave when they'd had enough !
Is it still there ?

mark isle of man

proper brummie kid
Thank you so much Mikejee for your immediate and fascinating information. I never knew that the temperance society were active and able to influence the local authorities to close pubs! Much appreciated, Mark

raz ullah

master brummie
I to remember the Beehive. I remember going to see Father Chritmas There.
Hi Lindym for me it was the Fillibuster in the late 60s it was around the corner from West Midlands Police Headquarters it was brill ,it had 2 floors i think it was done out in a hawaien theme , i couldn't wait to go there on a Friday night i was still an apprentice then didn't have a lot of money but enjoyed myself . Good Days Raz X

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
I admit to having a few drinks in Yates in the late 1950s, but that was when I was in my experimental stage, trying out all sorts of shorts. I can't recollect drinking beer in there.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was always so impressed by Yates' magnificent Blob machine, though never tried the mixture that came out, as It would probbaly have made be ill

raz ullah

master brummie
Hi,

Well ok - the Troc, they did serve a cracking pint in there, but not the other 2

Kind regards
Dave
Hi all i also went to the Temple Bar the cellar bar was done in a ships theme
and the barmaid was Reene she was brilliant she was pouring your pint before you had ordered it and there was Clive the other barman he was a 'nice' man, would often meet up with my brother Eddie and my best mate Colin Hunt [rip]. Good Days Raz

Last edited:

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Hi all i also went to the Temple Bar the cellar bar was done in a ships theme
and the barmaid was Reene she was brilliant she was pouring your pint before you had ordered it and there was Clive the other barmen he was a nice man, would often meet up with my brother Eddie and my best mate Colin Hunt [rip]. Good Days Raz

thats the sign of a good barman/barmaid when your drink is on the counter before you have ordered it

Richard Dye

master brummie
There was a pub across from C&A, (cant remember the name) it was quite old with lots of painted tile on the walls. We used to get Australian Duck wine and a pint of bitter there. VERY good!

Richard Dye

master brummie
I actually just put Corporation Street 1960's in Google search images and it was one of the first few photos to turn up so pure luck :D
A very clever friend of mine would always say, "he would rather be lucky than good". He was a brilliant aeronautical engineer that developed solid fuel rockets.