• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lost Birmingham Pubs

Passed the Eagle and Tun in New Canal St the other day, and noticed it was boarded up. Was'nt that the place where UB40 had their picture took for one of their albums?

Terry

The Kings Highway in Quinton has gone, flattened, levelled and taken away to be used for hardcore somewhere.

Frothy, I never think to get anything like that, a mate of mine had the old VANA ROAD sign over his fireplace a few years ago.

I'm not sure where Claire is drinking but I was in the city centre on Sunday night to see Russell Howard at the Alex [excellent gig by the way - he's barmy]. Anyway, I had a couple in the Canalside Cafe next to the Tap and Spile and it was £2.80p per pint. At the nearby Penny Black's it is nearer to £3. Indeed, I was drinking in Clent last week and it was £3 a pint there. The normal price now in the city is around the £2.60 mark for a beer at 4.2% ABV. Price goes up with the alcoholic content. If me and my partner are out on a session with friends we need to take £40 out of the cash machine. In summary, it is very expensive to go to a nice Birmingham pub these days. Thankfully here in Yam-Yam land it is still only £2.05p for a pint of Batham's Bitter. Incidentally, for those who like the Brierley Hill beer it is available in the revamped Lord Clifden on Great Hampton Street. Not sure what the price is though! Nice Mackem bought the place a few years ago - you should see the garden. Makes Hockley look like a green paradise - and it has a tennis table.

Ping pong
Kieron www.midlandspubs.co.uk

hi kieron. glad you like the lord clifton. used to work there many moons ago. i go in there with me sister occasionally to watch the footie and usually end up in there after going to the watch the albion. im not sure and must check but i think its still got the orignal stain glass windows. nice pub in your neck o the woods is the crooked house...

wales:)

hi kieron. glad you like the lord clifton. used to work there many moons ago. i go in there with me sister occasionally to watch the footie and usually end up in there after going to the watch the albion. im not sure and must check but i think its still got the orignal stain glass windows. nice pub in your neck o the woods is the crooked house...

Hello Lyn. wonder if you knew my cousin, Gary, he ran the Lord Clifton a few years ago.

hi froth. im not a regular as such but i guarentee me mom dad and sister knew him as there are regs and only live round the corner. must be 25 ago when i worked there.

lyn:)

hi froth. im not a regular as such but i guarentee me mom dad and sister knew him as there are regs and only live round the corner. must be 25 ago when i worked there.

lyn:)

I keep meaning to go in one of the days, sounds like it's been done up quite nice:)

froth. just scanning a pic ive got of the clifton taken in 61. its not good quality but you can just see the houses that were behind it. will put it on anyway. give us a min.
(Lost Photo replaced )
lyn

Lord clifden 1961.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
froth like said i am not sure if the glass is still there. will check it out. heres a pic of the church tavern just a short stagger away. lol

Hi Folks
Can I step in with a few bits and bobs - and I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all. The pub is called Lord Clifden not Lord Clifton. I'll post a bit of history about it soon. The building you see behind it [still part of the pub] dates back to the 18th century and is the original building line of the street. Many of the houses had gardens fronting the road but gradually new buildings were erected to the street pavement and other buildings [including the Lord Clifden] were extended to the road in order to maximise the building plot or to attract the attention of passers-by. The building pre-dates the pub by a long way. It was only a beerhouse at the start so was not licensed until after 1830. The rear building however is much older and formed part of a factory. As for The Pelican - it sits on top of the Pelican Works, a building erected around 1868. It was an electro-plating works. My list of known pubs in Great Hampton Street is Beehive, Church Inn, Commercial Inn, Globe Inn, Gothic, Leopard and Lord Clifden. I've drawn a map of locations which I'll try to dig out. Pubs such as The Trees belong to Hockley Hill and, at the other end, the White Horse Cellars is officially on Constitution Hill. Hope this is helpful.

Kind regards
Kieron

hi kieron. we are here to learn. many thanks for all the info. i did wonder about the building behind the clifden as i was trying to work out what street/road it would have been. youve cleared it up nicely now. yes i knew the trees was key hill and the whitehorse was constitution hill its just for us locals all along that stretch was the same to us. (prob to many bevvies). the beehive you mention would have been i think demolished before i was old enough to drink. have you got a pic of the beehive as somewhere in the back of me mind i am sure i have one.

cheers

wales.:):)

kieron. it wasnt the beehive i have its the vampire gt hampton st. would love to know more about this pub. you may want to add this to your list.

Hi Wales
Sorry but I haven't got a photograph of the Beehive. Would love to see one myself. It was close to the corner of Hall Street [No.127 was on the corner and the Beehive was No.129 1/2 [129 and a half].

Kind regards
Kieron

Hi Wales
Thanks but The Vampire was in Great Hampton Row between Buckingham Street and Upper Tower Street.
Kind regards
Kieron

so the caption was wrong. sometimes that happens. thanks i can see in my mind eye where it was. the beehive i have is the on soho hill.

wales.

Lynn
I remember the beehive on soho hill. Knew the people who ran it in 1968. According to the 1967-8 kellys it was at 198 soho hill on the east side, which about fits with where i remember it. The one Kieron is talking about must be a different one
Mike

yes mike i knew that. took some pics a couple of months ago of the soho hill one. what a sad sight. did you see them.

lyn

Yes I saw them, but didn't remember it was you who posted them. t was so long ago that i wasn't sure exactly where on soho hill it was, that's why i consulted kellys. I used to quite like the place, though did stand out a bit with my fair hair
Mike

its such a shame mike that so many of our pubs are closing down:( i love listening to dad telling me of his pub stories... this is one he was telling me just yesterday.... it was about the middle 60s and he was walking past the villa cross pub so he thought as he hadnt been in there for a few years hed pop in for a pint and a game of darts... anyway there was about 9 customers either playing or got their names on the board and were playing for a shilling a game. dad went thought them like a dose of salts but no one put their names back up so he finished his pint said cherrio and walked out.... he left it a min or two popped his head round the door and shouted ah got ya. they had all put their names back on the board lol. he forgot to tell them he was a sports argus player :D

wales.

Passed the Eagle and Tun in New Canal St the other day, and noticed it was boarded up. Was'nt that the place where UB40 had their picture took for one of their albums?

Terry

Yep certainly was even the video to Red Red Wine was filmed there, thier studios have been demolished too:cry: Though I think they have studios on Allcock street in Digbeth near the Wagon & Horses pub

Heres a pic of the pub on one of their albums
41S2G16RJYL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

And how it looks now:cry:

2752374217_c683491c17_m.jpg

Back