• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lost Birmingham Canals

viv no expert but i would say yes that must be where the materials were landed for the building of st chads..i wonder how long the job took from start to finish took

Both sides of Friday Bridge at the beginning of Summer Row, the one is looking down Summer Row from Great Charles Street the other is looking up toward Great Charles Street and the bridge is hidden by hoardings. The other photo only shows where the road begins to rise up a little to accommodate the bridge and the edge of the hoardings on that side of the road.

View attachment 117794

View attachment 117795
The top photograph suggest is 1948. The young women appear to be in the fashion of the new look and the cars seem to be of that era. The 32 Lodge Rad trams finished in March 1947 but Rosebery Street tram depot did not become a bus depot until August of that year. The track, not surprisingly, is still there but the overhead has not yet been removed which suggests the date I give.

Whitmore's Arm has quite an interesting history as it extended beyond George Street and once formed part of William James plans for an inland port and early railway link to it. William Whitmore owned the Lionel Street foundry

Hi,

I remember George Jones' Lionel Street Foundry very well from the early 60's as I worked on the corner of
Lionel Street and Newhall Street, but I was completely unaware of any canals in that 'block'!
George Jones was involved from the 1840's according to the net, and it still went by that name in the
1960's. What was his relationship with Mr Whitmore, and when did it close, or indeed, has it?

Kind regards
Dave

Friday Bridge was actually built later than the Newhall Branch, it was the result of diverting the turnpike over the canal and to avoid the narrow aqueduct that carried the canal branch over the old turnpike as is seen in Snapes Survey of the BCN (1777) as shown below. It is also to be seen that Congreve Street was then known as Friday Street, hence the name of the bridge..

210402.jpg

I'm wondering if the canal branching to the left is the remains of Snow Hill Wharf. Could it be ? I posted this on another thread when discussing Honduras Wharf (in the foreground).Viv.
Viv - that picture is at St Chad's in the crypt. The guide referred to it as showing the time of building. I didn't take a picture of it as it was not well lit and would have reflected the flash. So I am glad you have put a copy on here.

The image at St Chads shows what I gather is a painting. The warehouse with the boats loading appears to be associated with the Corn Mill. Carriers called at that wharf with traffic for and from the steam mill

Demolition at the Snow Hill Wharf site from the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal. Seen just beyond the Snow Hill Bridge. A residential development will be built at Shadwell Street. They dammed the right side of the canal wall.

I had another look at the painting posted regarding Snow Hill. as it related to a recent enquiry regarding Farmer's Bridge Canal Locks. The painting seems to predate the erection of the "Old Steam Mill" a flour mill whose location adjacent to Snow Hill Wharf was not "Old" as the original Old Steam Mill was placed on the corner of Water Street and Snow Hill, but the then owner Rayner, moved the mill there from the earlier site.

These buildings, of the painting, look to be of wood. Snow Hill Wharf was generally developed as Birmingham Canal Navigations Wharf and was in operation by the 1830's. The warehouses can be seen on maps including the Rent Maps of the 1870's, which can be seen in microfiche form at Birmingham Public Library.Snow Hill wharf.jpeg
The painting

Snow Hill W.jpg

Re the New Steam Mill

That is part of the identification issue. There is a map of about the mid 1830's which shows it (in Birmingham Canal Navigations Society Archives) where it is next to the Honduras Wharf. This "New Steam Mill" seems to have been associated, at that time with the rolling of metals, but it did let of power to others, such as the timber wharf. In 1850 the trade directory mentions different tenants and later still it was the Eagle Flour Mill.

The Old Steam Mill was first on a plot of land near Water Street and is shown on a map of Birmingham prior to the making of the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal. It was here that James Pickard used a steam engine that was the first to adopt rotative motion. Pickard occupied property that extended from Water Street to Lionel Street and the canal bisected that property. The steam mill was developed as two separate functions, where the rolling of metals and the milling of flour was conducted. By the 1830's the Metal Rolling Mill had a separate identity to the flour mill, which by then, this flour mill was on the corner of Water Street and Snow Hill. Samuel Parker had the flour mill, then. The separate rolling mill was occupied by the Muntz family who had become known for the making of sheathing metal for ships. It was Rayner, a later occupant of the Old Steam Mill that transferred the mill to Snow Hill Wharf and the Muntz mill was finally occupied by Kynoch's until the GWR needed part of the mill site for their Snow Hill station expansion.

Parker and later Rayner had it seems little access to the canal as there was a Timber Yard, Muntz Mill and the Phoenix Foundry between the flour mill and the canal and it is possible that the Snow Hill Wharf warehouses were used to assist the Old Steam Mill trade until they moved their mill there. The mill is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey as being on Snow Hill Wharf, so the move would have been prior to this survey.

Attachments

• D5973C9C-8BC2-4D9B-9D4E-B570F35AF56C.jpeg
    D5973C9C-8BC2-4D9B-9D4E-B570F35AF56C.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 11
View attachment 117770 View attachment 117771
In post 869 of the “Key Hill Cemetery” Thread it was mentioned about “Mount Misery” and the plight of the sand carriers...

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/key-hill-cemetery.4830/page-44#post-590943Z

The two thumbnails show the area around Newhall Street from the 1890 OS Map, the second being the area between the four streets, Newhall St, Great Charles Street, Lionel Street and Summer Row. In this area there are at least 5 wharfs, one being “India Wharf.”

The Bridge at Summer Row is called Friday Bridge, and father down there is Saturday Bridge.
Hello Pedrocut
Is there any possibility of looking at the Aston junction of this map as my "relly" was a boatman and lived and worked near Mill Street Many thanks

jan

Back