• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lorries - Shenstone Transport, Marsh Lane, Erdington

Alexander Francis Smith

knowlegable brummie
does anyone have any connection with shenstone transport, their depot was at marsh lane erdington, my dad was named vic smith who drove for them during the forties up till 1953,

Re: lorries

It's a very interesting forum...shame no pictures...I'm particularly interested in old commercial vehicles ( mainly BEDFORDS) I will visit again and hope to browse your photos when restored
Norman Long...LITTLEHAMPTON W.Sussex but from the Isle of Ely...a 'Fenman'

Interesting to see questions about my dad!! I have lots of info re. Shenstone Transport, Marsh Lane Erdington. My father, Reg Mills was there from pre war to 1955 ish. If interest shown I will post more info.
Reg Mills

Welcome to the Forum Reg. Great to see any posts relating to road transport/operators. I've been in road transport for most of my working life, mainly as a HGV/PSV mechanic even though my career did not start until 1960. I also worked in Marsh Lane, for Stockland Coaches, for a number of years in the mid sixties. Once again Welcome and any info you care to offer will, I am sure, be well received.

Yes, Reg, nickcc101's sentiments very much seconded. Welcome, and your information will be appreciated by a number of members.

Even if anything you post doesn't receive a significant response immediately, it's worth remembering that it will be quickly picked up by Google etc which will draw in other interested people over a period of time.

Chris

yes please do put on more info on shenstone transport, my father victor smith drove for shenstone transport from at least 1939 to 1953 and reg mills was my dads manager, sometimes my dad would be upset at some of the drops that your dad used to give him to do. it would often entail nights away from home which i didnt like very much. but, that was the way it had to be during the war years. it was transport operators like shenstone that kept our country going.

yes please do put on more info on shenstone transport, my father victor smith drove for shenstone transport from at least 1939 to 1953 and reg mills was my dads manager, sometimes my dad would be upset at some of the drops that your dad used to give him to do. it would often entail nights away from home which i didnt like very much. but, that was the way it had to be during the war years. it was transport operators like shenstone that kept our country going.
Dad used to take me to marsh lane on some sat mornings to see the lorries. I remember him talking to Vic, I remember a driver going over to the cafe to get bacon egg and tomato sandwiches ( very messy! )

You are correct. Shenstone transport moved to Rushey lane. If I remember correctly, Douglas who owned the land at Marsh lane wanted to build there, so my family moved to Court lane Erdington. Dad located a suitable yard in Rushey lane and the move was made. Since it is over 70 years since the following happened I will write what I remember!
Shenstone transport was owned by Transport development who were in London. At some time they contacted my Dad, they wanted to add a storage premises to Shenstones haulage. Dad found a facility not far from Rushey lane, there was a meeting and both businesses combined. Transport development then sacked Dad and put the boss of the storage facility in charge of both, Shenstone was finished and the two companies called Storage and Haulage ltd. Dad had been with Shenstone quite a long time, didn’t get a golden handshake.
I think this may fill a few gaps? An address I remember was Ammington road but don’t remember why.
As a matter of interest some of the lorries I remember are,
Fordsons, ERF, Foden, Albion chieftons, LWB Jenson, an A55 van was used for Dunlop special
products.
More to follow if questions asked!,
Reg Mills

When my dad Reg Mills left Shenstone transport situations were difficult. He got in touch with Ernest Holmes, who gave him a job checking his lorries. Ernest Holmes was contracted by Garringtons to move goods into and out of Garringtons . Dad decided to move to Bromsgrove to elimate travel costs, and I moved to Aldridge. Dad knew Ernest Holmes some years previously, I remember him taking me to one of his yards under the railway arches in Digbeth. I remember seeing a huge pile of WW1 tent pegs and an aircraft tug.dad worked for him for a number of years till health and age got him to retire.
In 1966 I became development engineer at Henley Forklift, Ernest Holmes was the chairman!
In 1969 I approached Ernest Holmes for the last time, and purchased from him the white baby grand piano from the Casterway club in Bradford Street. I hope this may be of interest. Reg Mills

You are correct. Shenstone transport moved to Rushey lane. If I remember correctly, Douglas who owned the land at Marsh lane wanted to build there, so my family moved to Court lane Erdington. Dad located a suitable yard in Rushey lane and the move was made. Since it is over 70 years since the following happened I will write what I remember!
Shenstone transport was owned by Transport development who were in London. At some time they contacted my Dad, they wanted to add a storage premises to Shenstones haulage. Dad found a facility not far from Rushey lane, there was a meeting and both businesses combined. Transport development then sacked Dad and put the boss of the storage facility in charge of both, Shenstone was finished and the two companies called Storage and Haulage ltd. Dad had been with Shenstone quite a long time, didn’t get a golden handshake.
I think this may fill a few gaps? An address I remember was Ammington road but don’t remember why.
As a matter of interest some of the lorries I remember are,
Fordsons, ERF, Foden, Albion chieftons, LWB Jenson, an A55 van was used for Dunlop special
products.
More to follow if questions asked!,
Reg Mills
When I talk about moving to Court lane with my family, I will put a few more facts about court lane.
I have seen in various forums talk of Aston unity, greyhound pub. And goose more lane.
The house dad purchased in court lane was one of two old large houses, we lived at the gables and the other was owned by Hastilow. Mayfield. At the bottom of our garden was a cricket field known as the Methodist ground, ( entrance in goosemore lane )and to the left was the Aston unity ground ( entrance by the greyhound pub.) when we moved to bold mere, the garden was sold and 23 semi detached houses built ( Rutherford drive ) the little shop just passed the greyhound was Moores, next to that was a very small newsagent called Maddox.
Has any one any information about the spinney, terminus of no.5, no.5A and 7 busses?

I just about remember a large house being demolished to make way for Rutherford Drive.

The Spinney I believed is a piece of land owned by Oscott College. It was always kept locked, but there was always one railing missing that we could squeeze through. We played in the spinney quite a lot as kids.

There may be some covenant on it

I lived in Marsh Lane from 1950 to 1961, my memory is not good but was Shenstone Transport next to the Royal Oak, I remember seeing lorries there on my way to work.
I lived a bit further down in the police houses on the dual carriageway.

I just about remember a large house being demolished to make way for Rutherford Drive.

The Spinney I believed is a piece of land owned by Oscott College. It was always kept locked, but there was always one railing missing that we could squeeze through. We played in the spinney quite a lot as kids.

There may be some covenant on it
This forum is remarkable, it makes it possible to relive the past, it unlocks so many memories........
I did go through the bent railing access to the spinney, and often wondered why it was there. I used to catch the 5A to and from Witton when I was an apprentice at Higgs Motors and prior to that to and from KEGS Aston so passed the spinney most days. I also went to Tedbury crescent school for about a year or so. Court lane was also the home of a Jaguar racing driver with 10 lap records that still stand today. I also remember going to Erdington on the midland red with my mother, catching it at the top of goosemore lane and court lane. S76 via court lane and S67 via goosemore . Every 15 min service, good old days.
Does anyone remember the sand pits at I think the junction of wheelright road and Minstead road B24?
Reg mills

I lived in Marsh Lane from 1950 to 1961, my memory is not good but was Shenstone Transport next to the Royal Oak, I remember seeing lorries there on my way to work.
I lived a bit further down in the police houses on the dual carriageway.
when I think hard about it, not easy these days, the entrance to Shenstone transport was off Brookvale walk. I don’t remember the Royal Oak , I was a bit too young for a pint in those days!,thinking again was it Bolton walk? Sorry it’s a very long time ago!

I have investigated what I should have done a long time ago, but memory fails after 70 odd years! I apologise to all that read previous address information. The following is correct :
My family lived at Shenstone house which was next to Shenstone transport yard.the address was Shenstone House, Marsh Hill.
Also living there was my dads brother in law and family, he was company secretary for Shenstone.
The entrance to the house and yard was from Boulton walk.
Boulton walk had 10 houses. The drive to shenstone house was between 7 and 8 Boulton walk.
I am sorry about earlier errors.

Last edited:
This forum is remarkable, it makes it possible to relive the past, it unlocks so many memories........
I did go through the bent railing access to the spinney, and often wondered why it was there. I used to catch the 5A to and from Witton when I was an apprentice at Higgs Motors and prior to that to and from KEGS Aston so passed the spinney most days. I also went to Tedbury crescent school for about a year or so. Court lane was also the home of a Jaguar racing driver with 10 lap records that still stand today. I also remember going to Erdington on the midland red with my mother, catching it at the top of goosemore lane and court lane. S76 via court lane and S67 via goosemore . Every 15 min service, good old days.
Does anyone remember the sand pits at I think the junction of wheelright road and Minstead road B24?
Reg mills

Are you thinking of the sandy outcrop that is at Salford Bridge and behind the houses of Minstead Road.

when I think hard about it, not easy these days, the entrance to Shenstone transport was off Brookvale walk. I don’t remember the Royal Oak , I was a bit too young for a pint in those days!,
Court lane 1933 showing Greyhound Pub (Photo: B'ham Central Library

court lane 1933 greyhound pub.JPG
At some stage from 1937 the "Inset" part of Goosemoor Lane near the junction with Sycamore Road was a small farm. This part of Goosemoor just opposite the park now has housing dating from the late 1980's and a house named Park View was there covering part of it before that.
goosemoor lane 1948.JPG
Goosemoor Lane 1948 (Photo: B'ham Central Library)

Back