• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lordswood Boys' Technical School

I was in the same class as Geoff Brown and Richi Parnell, there was a 3rd guy who was always knocking about with them his name was Kalsi(,can’t remember his Christian name) Geoff and Richi started up the group in the 5th year if I remember right. Other guys in the class were, Brian Rogers, Dave Cherry, Geoff Tim’s (mad on Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley) Micky Thomas( went to see EddIe Cockran with him at B’ham Hippodrome) Malcolm Aklin , Phelps (can’t remember Christian name) he was a very good athlete. I played rugby, cricket and basketball for the school and threw the javelin in the athletic team. Johny Flowers was a very good friend, not in my class but lived quite close to me in Northfield.
I left in the lower 6th, Mr Davies (Geography)tried to talk me into staying on but I wouldn’t listen, a decision I have regretted for the rest of my life. I could rabbit on all night but I won’t, hope I’ve jogged a few memories.
Keith Harrison
Hi Keith, I started 1957 left 1961. I recall most of the names here. Brian Rogers lived 2 doors away from me in the 1970s in Kings Norton.
Regards, Don

Here is a photo from 1961, 5G. I am on the extreme right on the 2nd row up. I am still in touch with Paul Kimberley, Derek Harper, Nick Lilley, Rodney Newton & others.lordswood1961 (2).jpg

Here is a photo from 1961, 5G. I am on the extreme right on the 2nd row up. I am still in touch with Paul Kimberley, Derek Harper, Nick Lilley, Rodney Newton & others.View attachment 158728
Hi All
I have also just come across this thread and I attended LBTGS during 1974 -1979 and was in Farrady (green band). Like many other comments it's brought back many memories especially the letter from the Headmaster to parents setting out the school requirements and subjects. I to remember Helen Minovi (lovely), Miss Vigart (German), Mr Reinstein and Mr Kirby (pink Jag), (Maths), George Foley (the Pump) PE, Mr George (Metalwork), Mr Hart and Griffiths (Woodwork), Mr Harrington (TD), Mr Beale (the Pump) Biology, Mr John Cople (Physics) Mr Derek Froggy Hepton always in a green suit (Chemistry), Miss Margaret Crossland (English), Mr Lee (Music), Janet Croft (Science Prep), Miss Susan Whitehead (geography), Mr Jones (swimming). I remember the Harborne Swimming baths and the swimming galas. I also remember the same dentist close by without anaesthetic. The pub we skived to was the Kings Head on the corner of Lordswood Road and Hagley Road. I caught No 11 bus from Handsworth Wood/Harborne and my mate the No 9 to Quinton. There was also a teacher who had long curly hair and always walked if they were falling farwards, English I think. I also remember a good looking lady teacher who taught art/pottery. She was always hanging out with the older art teacher and I thought there was a relationship going on between them.
Looking back I wish I'd tried harder at school.
The surnames I recall are Bell, Bicknell, Clark, Davidson, Evans, Fernandez, Griffiths, Jones, Knott, Lawson, Leeson, McNamara, Neil, Tierney, Vincent, Wilkes, Woodhall. We had to queue alphabetically for the school dinner and if you had a surname beginning with 'W' and your house was last in turn there was virtually nothing left. Another memory was during woodwork I'd planed of to much material and Mr Hart sent me to Mr George to get the 'putting back on plane' much amusement to everyone. Does anybody recall the RE teacher who taught very little RE but mostly gave sex education lessons. I also remember John Cople catching me out with a gentlemans magazine in my bag after a search. It was parents evening that day and was worried sick someone would tell my parents. Another story, someone put a leaping frog on Derek Heptons desk whilst he was writing on the blackboard. He turned round and the frog leapt into the air right in front of him. He immediately turned his attention to the one who was laughing the most.
fond memories
andrew woodhall

Hi All
I have also just come across this thread and I attended LBTGS during 1974 -1979 and was in Farrady (green band). Like many other comments it's brought back many memories especially the letter from the Headmaster to parents setting out the school requirements and subjects. I to remember Helen Minovi (lovely), Miss Vigart (German), Mr Reinstein and Mr Kirby (pink Jag), (Maths), George Foley (the Pump) PE, Mr George (Metalwork), Mr Hart and Griffiths (Woodwork), Mr Harrington (TD), Mr Beale (the Pump) Biology, Mr John Cople (Physics) Mr Derek Froggy Hepton always in a green suit (Chemistry), Miss Margaret Crossland (English), Mr Lee (Music), Janet Croft (Science Prep), Miss Susan Whitehead (geography), Mr Jones (swimming). I remember the Harborne Swimming baths and the swimming galas. I also remember the same dentist close by without anaesthetic. The pub we skived to was the Kings Head on the corner of Lordswood Road and Hagley Road. I caught No 11 bus from Handsworth Wood/Harborne and my mate the No 9 to Quinton. There was also a teacher who had long curly hair and always walked if they were falling farwards, English I think. I also remember a good looking lady teacher who taught art/pottery. She was always hanging out with the older art teacher and I thought there was a relationship going on between them.
Looking back I wish I'd tried harder at school.
The surnames I recall are Bell, Bicknell, Clark, Davidson, Evans, Fernandez, Griffiths, Jones, Knott, Lawson, Leeson, McNamara, Neil, Tierney, Vincent, Wilkes, Woodhall. We had to queue alphabetically for the school dinner and if you had a surname beginning with 'W' and your house was last in turn there was virtually nothing left. Another memory was during woodwork I'd planed of to much material and Mr Hart sent me to Mr George to get the 'putting back on plane' much amusement to everyone. Does anybody recall the RE teacher who taught very little RE but mostly gave sex education lessons. I also remember John Cople catching me out with a gentlemans magazine in my bag after a search. It was parents evening that day and was worried sick someone would tell my parents. Another story, someone put a leaping frog on Derek Heptons desk whilst he was writing on the blackboard. He turned round and the frog leapt into the air right in front of him. He immediately turned his attention to the one who was laughing the most.
fond memories
andrew woodhall
Sorry think it was Jean Hall geography

Frank Kirby (my dad) 80 years old and still going strong. No longer has the famous pink jag, but a red one instead. He sends his regards to all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211118-110257_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211118-110257_Gallery.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 60
I was at LBGTS from December 69 to June 76, so a little more recent that most of the posts above, we had so many memorable teachers, some good times and some forgettable experiences mostly to do with adhoc corporal punishment which never did me any harm but stung a bit at the time, main exponents of "a good beating never hurt anyone" are listed. The english master, board rubber and large PE shoe, and also a liking for picking you up by the hair in front of the ears and uttering in a west country accent "You little rat"
A PE teacher, with rugby origins, used a large PE shoe but insisted on taking a run up and making you stand to attention for an hour in snow, I was 12 at the time along with the 120 others also shivering in their PE Kit.
Other punishment involved ritual humiliation, by numerous staff members.
Notable for their eccentricities were Mr Monty, reportedly a drinking chum of Dylan Thomas, who spoke with such a welsh accent it was sometimes tough to understand him, and he would regularly fall asleep in class and utter the EH! which was liberally distributed in chalk around the school to taunt him. The German teacher in her purple, skin tight knitted mini dress, all too much for a 14 year old trying to learn German. A master in Woodwork, he of the stiff spine who could not bend over and had us running about picking things up fo him, we all bet he would pick up a fiver if he saw one on the floor. Mr (Tat) Pearson, the plain speaking biology master, in love with his vauxhall Viva and rank clothing, Frank Kirby, Maths, an original Teddy boy with a posh Jag, Mr Follows, a good laugh and a teacher you could talk to. Mr (Fruitbowl) Harrington, TD, another nice chap, Dave Boddison, Pottery, ardent communist, set me on the road to ceramics which I still attempt today, Malcolm Hughes, Art, a nice arty type, "I spent most of my 6th form in the art room as an "Art Room Dosser" and ended up at art college as a result. Mr Lee, Music, I could never master the trumpet, but enjoyed orchestra practise. Mrs Symonds, well what could I say...... Mr Evans, Dr Who look a like, promoter of the magazine Frisket, and an all round good egg! Other good eggs... Mr Betts, metalwork, Mr Beale, geography, Mr George, Engineering....many others who fade into my distant memory, but on the whole it was a good 6 years, shame about the slip in discipline due a New Headmaster, Mr Whitehouse but as an education it served me well, comments please....
Frank Kirby sends his regards..80 years old in 2021 and still going strong. No longer a teddy boy, but still has an old jag.

Frank Kirby (my dad) 80 years old and still going strong. No longer has the famous pink jag, but a red one instead. He sends his regards to all.
Hi Matt. I've just seen the picture of your dad, He's hardly changed. He taught me Maths at Lordswood 1975/6. Send him my regards.

I've just been reunited with some school photos, form 1A 1958 attached. I've a few more form and sports pics. I'll post them soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20211205_153307-01.jpeg
    IMG_20211205_153307-01.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
I was at LBGTS from December 69 to June 76, so a little more recent that most of the posts above, we had so many memorable teachers, some good times and some forgettable experiences mostly to do with adhoc corporal punishment which never did me any harm but stung a bit at the time, main exponents of "a good beating never hurt anyone" are listed. The english master, board rubber and large PE shoe, and also a liking for picking you up by the hair in front of the ears and uttering in a west country accent "You little rat"
A PE teacher, with rugby origins, used a large PE shoe but insisted on taking a run up and making you stand to attention for an hour in snow, I was 12 at the time along with the 120 others also shivering in their PE Kit.
Other punishment involved ritual humiliation, by numerous staff members.
Notable for their eccentricities were Mr Monty, reportedly a drinking chum of Dylan Thomas, who spoke with such a welsh accent it was sometimes tough to understand him, and he would regularly fall asleep in class and utter the EH! which was liberally distributed in chalk around the school to taunt him. The German teacher in her purple, skin tight knitted mini dress, all too much for a 14 year old trying to learn German. A master in Woodwork, he of the stiff spine who could not bend over and had us running about picking things up fo him, we all bet he would pick up a fiver if he saw one on the floor. Mr (Tat) Pearson, the plain speaking biology master, in love with his vauxhall Viva and rank clothing, Frank Kirby, Maths, an original Teddy boy with a posh Jag, Mr Follows, a good laugh and a teacher you could talk to. Mr (Fruitbowl) Harrington, TD, another nice chap, Dave Boddison, Pottery, ardent communist, set me on the road to ceramics which I still attempt today, Malcolm Hughes, Art, a nice arty type, "I spent most of my 6th form in the art room as an "Art Room Dosser" and ended up at art college as a result. Mr Lee, Music, I could never master the trumpet, but enjoyed orchestra practise. Mrs Symonds, well what could I say...... Mr Evans, Dr Who look a like, promoter of the magazine Frisket, and an all round good egg! Other good eggs... Mr Betts, metalwork, Mr Beale, geography, Mr George, Engineering....many others who fade into my distant memory, but on the whole it was a good 6 years, shame about the slip in discipline due a New Headmaster, Mr Whitehouse but as an education it served me well, comments please....
You would have been there the same time As my dad. I think he would have been one year below you. Interesting reading what you write, as a lot of it rings bells from stories my dad told me.

Hi All

I recently found this site and the interesting threads on Lordswood BTS.

I joined the school in 1958 after passing the eleven plus at Dudley Road. Lordswood was then only one year old, I believe. I stayed until A levels in 1965. I did physics at Birmingham then trained and qualified as a patent attorney.

Like several others, I was not very good at practical subjects. I was much better at the academic ones.

Teachers I can remember from my years at the school are as follows:
Bailey (Maths), Balsom (Deputy Head and English), Barnsley (Chemistry), Betts (Metalwork), Caldicott (Woodwork), Craig (German), Dale (Maths), Davies (Geography), J Griffin (PE and Geography), D Harkness (Headmaster and Maths), Harrington (TD), Hawkridge (History), D Hepton (Chemistry), Ingamells (German), D George (Craft), Hart (Art), G Jones (PE), V Jones (English and General Studies), C Lee (Music and RE), Lewis (PE and History), B Long (German), R Long (English), Luckman (German), Ludlam (English and General Studies), P Mason (English), Mercati (Biology), Rankin (Pottery), H Reinstein (Maths), Rhodes (Chemistry), Sawyer (Physics), Sturmen (TD), Summers (English), Wilson (Physics), Woods (Physics).

Harkness was a very good teacher. I had him for some A level Maths. He was very clear and logical. Also, I had Balsom for some basic English and he too was clear and easy to follow.

My favourite teacher was Griffin (‘Noddy’) for the mature way in which he interacted with us. He was keen on cross-country (I was a runner) and left to become a professional cyclist. My least favourite was Dale who dangerously would throw the hard board rubber at anyone not paying attention.

‘Character’ teachers were Hawkridge, Reinstein and Hepton. Each could be very funny (not deliberately!) in their own different ways.

Lads that were my contemporaries are as follows:
R Adams, S Alexander, J Ashby, R Bannister, J Barton, K Beesley, R Beach, R Bradburn, A Bray, F Boyce, A Brown, C Broughton, H Bull, K Cocking, F Collin, G Conyers, D Cotterell, J Curtis, T Fisher, J Clayton, P Dalton, J Daw, W Eddy, F Evenson, P Geraghty, Goundry, Green, P Greeno, Grinyer, P Grubb, P Gunningham, D Harris, Higginson, P Hind, J Hodgetts (deceased 1963) , B Hughes, G Insall, D James, P James, R Johnston, B Joyce, F Kerrigan, R Knight, L Kricka, T Lears, C Margetts, M McGaheran, J Moore, E Morris, P Morris, B Newby, J Nicholls, Parsons, Polanski, K O'Brien, K Reading, J Reilly, D Rhodes, S Ryall, R Scott, W Sharpe, I Sheppard, P Simpson, R Smith, J Smith, P Styzaker, D Taborn, J Tehan, R Tookey, C Trickett, Tumelty, M Veale, J Westlake, F Whitehouse, M White, R Wilkes, D Workman, B Ying.

Glad to offer these comments. It's very pleasing that a record is still being kept on the early days of the school. There were many such details recorded on Friends Reunited but unfortunately they were all lost when that site folded.

I can remember you. I was in the 58 intake. Other lads were Peter Coley and Len Boyd.
Mr Mason was our form master. A very decent bloke.
Cheers Norman Geraghty

Hi Norman
I was in the first intake to Lordswood and also passed my 11 plus from Dudley Road School.
My time at Dudley Road was not spent in the main building, but in a "Church Hall" on Cuthbert Road at the corner with Winson Green Road. We had to pack away our books in cardboard boxes every night and store in an adjoining room, then stack the chairs.
The teacher was Mr Moss and it was all down to him that I got through the 11 plus.
I lived in Winson Street.
I was probably in 2S when you were at Lordswood and in Telford House.
Titch Horton

Hi All,
Like many of you I stumbled on the site and have just spent a very happy hour sharing your memories of life at Lordswood. My name is Howard Barnett and I was at Lordswood from 1961 to 1966. Unlike many of you I didn’t stay on for sixth form, well nobody invited me to!

You may not remember me because following a traumatic first year when I really didn’t know whether I was on my proverbial or my elbow I adopted a policy of flying below the radar only emerging to represent house (Bessemer) and school in the rugby, cricket and athletic teams!

Naturally I remember many of the teachers. It was Mr Hart’s cool studio with coffee sending its aroma around the art room that made me want to work in that environment, something I ultimately did. I think back on the flying board rubbers, the lashings with Busen burner tubes, none of which I suffered I’m glad to say. Does anyone remember Mr Lewis, swimming teacher, jumping into Harborne baths fully clothed to save a struggling David Butler? My most ignominious moment came when we entered Mr Bond’s maths room. He was sitting slumped in his chair with what turned out to be our homework books in front of him. Without rising from his chair he announced that he was so depressed after marking the first book in the pile that he couldn’t go on! Very rapidly the whisper sped around the room, “It’s yours Barnett.” I think, even at that early stage Mr Bond and I abandoned any hope!

I also remember many of you out there. Steve Allen and I were asked to demonstrate how to pass a rugby ball by Mr Jones - a rare accolade. I was so saddened to hear the passing of many of the lads, particularly Peter Collin, who if I close my eyes I can see bombing down the track to pass the baton to me in the inter-schools relays we ran together.

I’ll leave with a funny story, the only time I had any direct contact with Mr Harkness was at the end of year one when he spoke to the under achievers of which I was one. The only other time was not long after I had left school and had headed into town to buy a pair of snazzy shoes. So anxious was I to wear them that I sat on the wall of the cathedral in Birmingham city centre putting them on. Who should walk past but Mr H. We exchanged knowing glances but chose not to speak. I always thought he walked on thinking.’Ah, that’s right, it was Barnett. I never thought he’d amount to much!’

Finally I enclose a couple of photographs, one of Form 5B and the Athletics team 63-64, on that shot I’m the one taking it all too seriously third from the left, front row.

Hi All,
Like many of you I stumbled on the site and have just spent a very happy hour sharing your memories of life at Lordswood. My name is Howard Barnett and I was at Lordswood from 1961 to 1966. Unlike many of you I didn’t stay on for sixth form, well nobody invited me to!

You may not remember me because following a traumatic first year when I really didn’t know whether I was on my proverbial or my elbow I adopted a policy of flying below the radar only emerging to represent house (Bessemer) and school in the rugby, cricket and athletic teams!

Naturally I remember many of the teachers. It was Mr Hart’s cool studio with coffee sending its aroma around the art room that made me want to work in that environment, something I ultimately did. I think back on the flying board rubbers, the lashings with Busen burner tubes, none of which I suffered I’m glad to say. Does anyone remember Mr Lewis, swimming teacher, jumping into Harborne baths fully clothed to save a struggling David Butler? My most ignominious moment came when we entered Mr Bond’s maths room. He was sitting slumped in his chair with what turned out to be our homework books in front of him. Without rising from his chair he announced that he was so depressed after marking the first book in the pile that he couldn’t go on! Very rapidly the whisper sped around the room, “It’s yours Barnett.” I think, even at that early stage Mr Bond and I abandoned any hope!

I also remember many of you out there. Steve Allen and I were asked to demonstrate how to pass a rugby ball by Mr Jones - a rare accolade. I was so saddened to hear the passing of many of the lads, particularly Peter Collin, who if I close my eyes I can see bombing down the track to pass the baton to me in the inter-schools relays we ran together.

I’ll leave with a funny story, the only time I had any direct contact with Mr Harkness was at the end of year one when he spoke to the under achievers of which I was one. The only other time was not long after I had left school and had headed into town to buy a pair of snazzy shoes. So anxious was I to wear them that I sat on the wall of the cathedral in Birmingham city centre putting them on. Who should walk past but Mr H. We exchanged knowing glances but chose not to speak. I always thought he walked on thinking.’Ah, that’s right, it was Barnett. I never thought he’d amount to much!’

Finally I enclose a couple of photographs, one of Form 5B and the Athletics team 63-64, on that shot I’m the one taking it all too seriously third from the left, front row.
Howard, I didn't attend Lordswood School but knew a few lads who did. One being Andy Hunt part of the Athletics Team 63/64 who stands behind you, 2nd in on the second row. He also played rugby.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'll go and have a look. I think the school opened in 1957.

does anyone else remember Tony Hale, the English teacher and musician. While he was at Lordswood he was a sales rep. for the Melotron which was the instrument that gave the Moody Blues, King Crimson and others their string ensemble sound.
I left Lordswood in 68 and in 73 joined the BBC in Manchester as a sound techy. In 75 guess who turned up as a radio producer in Manchester, yes Tony hale. I went on to work with him on various recordings including a pop quiz called "Quiz Kid" which ran for 3 years with Alan "Fluff" Freeman as the host. He left the Beeb in the late 80s (?) and went to London and the last I heard he was living near Canary Wharf.
"Popeye" Mason played the organ at assembly.
Colin Lee was our music teacher and bored the pants off us trying to instill musical fervour and understanding by playing Britten's "War Requiem". It's taken me 50 years to appreciate it. If only he'd used a couple of lighter examples.
"Froggy" Hepton and Mr Rhodes taught us Chemistry, Harrington TD, McCourt Geography, Mr Abel German ( I won prizes in Deutsch but now live in France!) We had Mr George for metalwork and Fletcher for WW.
We also had the mad professor, Mr. Woods for physics. He was ex-RAF and constructed a 27mHz valve transmitter on a plank. It was one of the most dangerous pieces of kit I've ever seen and he used it to demonstrate how varying the length of conductors coud change the frequency of oscillation, as shown on an oscilloscope. The 'scope probe didn't even have to be connected to the kit to show the frequency changing, such was the output power of this mad "experiment". A short fluorescent tube held near it showed when it went into oscillation!
Does anyone remember a guy a couple of years senior to me called Benge or Benj? He made flying model aircraft who's fuel was known as Benj's brew? I think he built a flying model Lancaster which he flew from the playground over the fields.
I also remember Alan Hunt, who threw a javelin over 200'. Gil Jones and Uggy White were our PE teachers and I ran a leg in the Kings Norton road relay with GJ pacing me through Alvechurch! We won it that year. Colin Price was a memorable athlete from that time. I think he went into the Police, as did Pete Bissell.
Happy Days
There was most likely more than one Alan Hunt at LBTS but the one I remember had fair hair and was the younger brother of Andy Hunt, who was also good at sport.

Hi Norman
I was in the first intake to Lordswood and also passed my 11 plus from Dudley Road School.
My time at Dudley Road was not spent in the main building, but in a "Church Hall" on Cuthbert Road at the corner with Winson Green Road. We had to pack away our books in cardboard boxes every night and store in an adjoining room, then stack the chairs.
The teacher was Mr Moss and it was all down to him that I got through the 11 plus.
I lived in Winson Street.
I was probably in 2S when you were at Lordswood and in Telford House.
Titch Horton
Hi Titch
I was in the intake at Lordswood the year after you. I also went to Dudley Road (Summerfield) junior school and passed the 11 plus whilst there. My main teacher was Miss Smethurst. She was a really hard disciplinarian. The school had a brilliant record of getting people through the 11 plus.
I remember also the Annex you referred to. There was an older teacher there (who was probably Moss) who said that if you wanted to be a train driver (which many kids did) you should go to a technical school!
By the way, in an edition of the BBC programme ‘Who do you think you are’ featuring actor Martin Shaw, they showed a street map of where he grew up. It was Winson Green very close to that Annex!
Cheers, Delboy

I can remember you. I was in the 58 intake. Other lads were Peter Coley and Len Boyd.
Mr Mason was our form master. A very decent bloke.
Cheers Norman Geraghty
Hi Norman

I think you were always the joker in the pack! If I remember right you lived down Northfield way and were mates with John? Curtis.

Mason used to walk home for his lunch. I think he was newly married! He was a good English teacher.

Cheers Delboy

Hi Norman

I think you were always the joker in the pack! If I remember right you lived down Northfield way and were mates with John? Curtis.

Mason used to walk home for his lunch. I think he was newly married! He was a good English teacher.

Cheers Delboy
Hi Delboy
I tried to add levity to the pack .I lived in Abbeydale Rd Northfield and John C lived 1 road away. My best mates were John and Peter Coley. I recruited a fair amount of lads to The Sea Cadets. I had many jobs (non technical) and finally retired as a HEO in the Civil Service.
Cheers

Hi Norman.

I've just joined the forum and come across these postings on LBTS which I attended between 1962-1969. I will certainly be going through all the posts later to see if I can contribute to any of the memories. However, slightly off subject, while I was at school, I joined the Marine Cadets at TS Vernon based at the time at Gas Street basin. I've raised the subject before but nobody had heard of the place and wondered, with your Sea Cadet involvement, whether you had any memories of it?

Yes I remember him well ... tall, well-spoken, rather angular facial features, always in a good suit :) ... a very decent bloke, approachable, would always stop for a chat or just to pass the time of day if he had nowhere to go.

Can't recall for sure, but I think he might have joined the Staff in my 2nd or 3rd year so '60/'61

I remember well, however, that there was a boy in a different class in my year who was also named Kindon and bore a very striking resemblance to him, and I believe they got their heads together at some point and it transpired that they were cousins.

TQ
Kindon had a black Austin Somerset, I remember that!

Back